Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question About DMCA (Not Joking and its new)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question About DMCA (Not Joking and its new)

edited April 22 in General

Let say i use general way to avoid dmca by using "DMCA-Free VPS" acted as a proxy to the main server.

the problem with this method is the latency between main server and proxy server, because proxy server is only available on dmca-free country like luxembourg or romania for example.

so i was thinking, what if i used for example digital ocean vps as proxy, one day i will get abuse email (of course), but can i just reply it by saying "i dont host anything ilegal on your vps, go check it your self, yours is only for proxy".

its interesting to try right? because the terms usually kind of "do not host nasty files on my server or i ban you".

what your though on this? thanks

Comments

• JosephFJosephF Member

You'll need to ask each provider, as they're the ones who will be making the decisions.

• @JosephF said:
    You'll need to ask each provider, as they're the ones who will be making the decisions.

i've been thinking too, maybe trying with the big one first lmao

• DigiRDPDigiRDP Member, Patron Provider

@sugarlessmuffins said: go check it your self

They are not going to check your VPS, they got abuse they will take action, this is how it works.

• TionTion Member

How about doing something that won't get you takedown requests?
    If you run a legitimate business that hosts user-generated content, you need to have a plan for your abuse department. DMCA Free VPS won't work. I would suggest a system that takes down reported content upon notification and reactivates it after manual review.

• webontopwebontop Member
    edited April 22

@sugarlessmuffins said:
    Let say i use general way to avoid dmca by using "DMCA-Free VPS" acted as a proxy to the main server.

the problem with this method is the latency between main server and proxy server, because proxy server is only available on dmca-free country like luxembourg or romania for example.

so i was thinking, what if i used for example digital ocean vps as proxy, one day i will get abuse email (of course), but can i just reply it by saying "i dont host anything ilegal on your vps, go check it your self, yours is only for proxy".

its interesting to try right? because the terms usually kind of "do not host nasty files on my server or i ban you".

I ban lifetime from interserver.net, DO, OVH, Online.net etc - I asked them to not null my IPs because I didn't host anything on your servers it's hosted on other location. Good Luck!

• edited April 22

Not going to work. In theory you could tell them that your just providing transit (which would basically put you in the same position as for example Cloudflare) but that would also mean that you are required to pass the complaints on to your client and make sure those complaints are dealt with accordingly or if not sooner or later give out the the destination to not become personally liable.

That's assuming DO or whoever would accept your Cloudflare-like status which they 99.999% won't so your whole setup will even fail way sooner. You are not Cloudflare after all. Neither technically nor regarding influence.

I'll give you a hint regarding sketchy things: Times when you could act clever are long gone. These days you can be pretty sure that everything has been tried already and if it isn't in broader usage it's likely because it doesn't work.

• @webontop said:

@sugarlessmuffins said:

I ban lifetime from interserver.net, DO, OVH, Online.net etc - I asked them to not null my IPs because I didn't host anything on your servers it's hosted on other location. Good Luck!

hahaha, looks like you are an expert on this field

• @Tion said:
    How about doing something that won't get you takedown requests?
    If you run a legitimate business that hosts user-generated content, you need to have a plan for your abuse department. DMCA Free VPS won't work. I would suggest a system that takes down reported content upon notification and reactivates it after manual review.

thats the problem, we all love sketchy things

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@sugarlessmuffins said:

I think the "I have no nasty files on my server" argument have been tried by basically every single torrent tracker out there, with varied success. Some of them are still online, some of them are in jail.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 22

Im hosting it like this:

HAProxy - BuyVM Lux
    Backend Website - Hetzner

Add HAProxy IP to the Cloudflare A record

Someone sends DMCA to cloudflare
    Cloudflare sends to BuyVM Lux
    Hetzner is receives no abuse.

I can add bandwidth and caching and decrease load more by adding additional HAProxies and adding their IPs as Proxied A records to Cloudflare.

Works well for comic site at least, and no slowdowns.

Thanked by 1gaga
    edited April 22

HAProxy config example for serving another website. (DA/cPanel/Cyberpanel/nginx/apache2/etc)

Install HAProxy
    sudo apt-get install haproxy

Open config
    nano /etc/haproxy/haproxy.cfg

Apply edits:
    https://pastebin.com/raw/yD8bEGSn

Check for valid syntax:
    haproxy -f /etc/haproxy/haproxy.cfg -c

Restart:
    sudo service haproxy restart

You can see that I have caching enabled for some sites, and not for some. Since its double cache, its limited to 60 seconds on HAProxy side.

where 1.2.3.4 is the IP of the hidden backend webserver. Domain A record should never point to this IP but should be pointed to HAProxy IP instead.

Note that this config does not serve HTTPS, so you would need Flexible SSL to be enabled in the Cloudflare settings for valid a HTTPS or edit the config to add SSL support and your certificates and private keys.

SSH and FTP and SFTP would be done via hidden IP instead of the domain.

To add more HAProxy loadbalancers, you would just duplicate this setup, and add the new HAProxy VPS IP to cloudflare as another A record. (You would have multiple ones). How cloudflare handles multiple proxied A records: https://developers.cloudflare.com/dns/manage-dns-records/how-to/round-robin-dns/

Pretty easy setup and wont really affect your website speeds much if at all.

Also makes it easier to recover from downtime when you dont really need to move the backend or the actual website if your DMCA ignored provider bans your HAProxy VPS. And you can mix multiple providers and locations for max redundancy at the cost of speed.

And you can get cheap server for the actual website/backend/storage and no need to pay premium for exotic locations.

• edited April 22

@rcy026 said:

@sugarlessmuffins said:

I think the "I have no nasty files on my server" argument have been tried by basically every single torrent tracker out there, with varied success. Some of them are still online, some of them are in jail.

Yeah, pretty much this, even if trackers are in a little different position legally as for them it's not so much about being considered a transit providers but about the legal status of links (and going a bit further how far torrent files even legally constitute links).

It's crazy how much time has passed since legality of links was actually still a topic of ongoing debate in most developed countries. Back in the late 90s i had a little web crawler searching for mp3s and archive files, which it partially downloaded and checked for tags/file_id.diz/readme.txt and all that (oh boy was the web full of goodies...). I was kinda sad when it was finally certain that i'd be liable for the linked content but i also didn't want to make a huge effort just to keep it online so that date marked the end of my file indexer career ;)

Thanked by 1rcy026
  • nyamenknyamenk Member

@stefeman said:
    Im hosting it like this:

HAProxy - BuyVM Lux

I can add bandwidth and caching and decrease load more by adding additional HAProxies and adding their IPs as Proxied A records to Cloudflare.

Is there a tutorial for this?

Thanked by 1COLBYLICIOUS
  • nick_nick_ Member
    edited April 23

Hetzer is reading this and probably is trying to figure out who you are.

• sliixsliix Member

@nick_ said:

As long as there are no DMCA report, I don't think they really care.

edited April 23

@nyamenk said:

@stefeman said:
    Im hosting it like this:

HAProxy - BuyVM Lux

Is there a tutorial for this?

I literally posted it to above.

You have normal webserver behind some IP with domain added to the webserver.

You install HAProxy on another server, edit and apply the config.

You add HAProxy server IP to cloudflare as A record.

You enable flexible SSL

Done. works out of the box. Not even CF sees/knows your backend/webserver IP.

Suppose you have shared hosting with provider X, you simply check your current A record and put that IP to your HAProxy config. Then you use HAProxy VPS IP as the new A record.

Thanked by 1nyamenk
    edited April 23

@sliix said:

@nick_ said:

I pay my bills in time, I dont use a lot of bandwidth, my site is unpopular and my setup is overkill, and Ive never received any DMCA or other abuse, and I never will. I also use dedicated server and not a shared VPS so my actions wont affect others even in theory.

And yes, they even explictly said in LET, that as long as you dont cause abuse to the host, they dont mind about torrenting and other such stuff. https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2808710/#Comment_2808710

Thanked by 1sliix
  • @stefeman said:

@sliix said:

@nick_ said:

I pay my bills in time, I dont use a lot of bandwidth, my site is unpopular and my setup is overkill, and Ive never received any DMCA or other abuse, and I never will. I also use dedicated server and not a shared VPS so my actions wont affect others even in theory.

And yes, they even explictly said in LET, that as long as you dont cause abuse to the host, they dont mind about torrenting and other such stuff. https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2808710/#Comment_2808710

Yeah. I think @nick_ was just joking though.

Thanked by 3nick_ stefeman sliix
  • edited April 25

How much slow down/ TTFB added? It should be slowing down noticeably. Cloudflare (slowdown 1) -> reserve proxy (slow down 2) -> Main server? What is your location strategy. In my opinon, adding cloudflare alone has increase TTFB noticeably for far location.

• VoidVoid Member

@nick_ said:

@Hetzner_OL

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited April 25

@sugarlessmuffins said:

Latency is really not an issue here if you are on the same continent. A lot of "those" pages do it. Get a 5-20$ VPS with one of the DMCA free providers and have a Hetzner server in the background. Limit access to Hetzner to only the IP of the proxy vps and do caching on the proxy VPS.

No, it's not interesting to try. DO will not look through your files to check if the complaint refers to anything, thats actually on the server. They will tell you to "stop it" and they don't care how you do it.

Don't bother with DO. Get something from a "privacy hosting provider", pay with crypto and replace it with another proxy vps in case it gets abused.

@nick_ said:

They genuinely don't care at all as long as nobody sends them DMCA messages or raids their DC for something illegal on a server.

• LeviLevi Member

@JosephF said:

Wrong. You need to ask each country enforcement unit where server is. They make decisions. Provider is a mere proxy between dmca abuser and jail.

• JosephFJosephF Member

@Levi said:

@JosephF said:

Wrong. You need to ask each country enforcement unit where server is. They make decisions. Provider is a mere proxy between dmca abuser and jail.

DMCA is a US-specific law.

Thanked by 1shruub
  • LeviLevi Member

@JosephF said:

@Levi said:

@JosephF said:

Aha, originated in usa and spread to other countries with help of money. There is only few countries in the world which does not bend under the usa dmca enforcement: russia, s.korea, belarus and to some extent china. Everywhere else if you piss the right people behind the content - you will get pwned.

• JosephFJosephF Member

@Levi said:

@JosephF said:

@Levi said:

@JosephF said:

Aha, originated in usa and spread to other countries with help of money. There is only few countries in the world which does not bend under the usa dmca enforcement: russia, s.korea, belarus and to some extent china. Everywhere else if you piss the right people behind the content - you will get pwned.

South Korea? That's an interesting one. I'd of thought North Korea would be the more likely candidate. Together with Iran, Cuba and Venezuela.

• If you're the only "customer" digital ocean will know and they won't take your abuse.

• sgno1sgno1 Member

@sugarlessmuffins said:

It's not a new idea, this is what is usually done for these type of "projects". But a proxy won't save you anyway, if the entity that sends a subpoena or something similar to your "proxy provider", they could always provide the traffic dumps which would expose your "proxied server". So no, it's not something to rely on within the long run, there's better options out there

• @JosephF said:

@Levi said:

@JosephF said:

The DMCA Notice is coming from korean company actually, but they use U.S company to do it for them