Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Loadbalancer vs. HAProxy benchmark
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Loadbalancer vs. HAProxy benchmark

Hello geeks!

Does anyone know what kind of LB is used at Hetzner? The underlying stack. As i understand it is managed but probably hosted on their cloud platform.

I am wondering if it outperform HAProxy, since i haven't found (yet) any open source LB which beats the performance of HAProxy.

Before i spinup some cloud servers on hetzner and LBs i would like to hear if anyone know more about the LBs they offer ? Esspecially the stack or hardware.

Comments

• DOH! Posted in wrong group.
    @Admin please move this thread.

• sivesive Member, Host Rep

You can probably beat HAProxy performance with LoxiLB or Cilium L4 Load Balancer in their offload modes pretty easily. I know a lot of cloud providers use HAProxy instances in K8s since it has a pretty good K8s external mode in order to interact with the K8s API to run service type LoadBalancer.

• ErisaErisa Member

While not an answer, I thought this was fun to read https://docs.hetzner.com/cloud/load-balancers/faq/#what-performance-can-i-expect-from-load-balancers

What performance can I expect from Load Balancers?

It highly depends on your configuration. For our smallest Load Balancer plan, LB11, you should expect performance roughly equivalent to what you would see while using popular load balancing software on a CX11 cloud server.

• @Erisa said:
    While not an answer, I thought this was fun to read https://docs.hetzner.com/cloud/load-balancers/faq/#what-performance-can-i-expect-from-load-balancers

It highly depends on your configuration. For our smallest Load Balancer plan, LB11, you should expect performance roughly equivalent to what you would see while using popular load balancing software on a CX11 cloud server.

That doesnt say much actually :neutral:

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • ErisaErisa Member

@lowprofile said:

@Erisa said:

That doesnt say much actually :neutral:

Yeah, it pretty much just tells you that they host the LB11 on something the same or similar to CX11. Nothing about what software or setup they use.

Seems that's all they publicise though. You may get more by asking their support.

• @sive said:
    You can probably beat HAProxy performance with LoxiLB or Cilium L4 Load Balancer in their offload modes pretty easily. I know a lot of cloud providers use HAProxy instances in K8s since it has a pretty good K8s external mode in order to interact with the K8s API to run service type LoadBalancer.

+1 can confirm about Cilium at least. Besides the LB features Cilium is pretty awesome in general, especially given the eBPF goodness.

• @vitobotta said:

@sive said:

+1 can confirm about Cilium at least. Besides the LB features Cilium is pretty awesome in general, especially given the eBPF goodness.

I am trying to understand cibilium vs HAProxy and i see 2 different ways of working and usecases.

• WordPress.com converted all its load balancers to Nginx 16 years ago, after looking at HAProxy, Perlbal, and LVS.
    https://barry.blog/2008/04/28/load-balancer-update/

• @chihcherng said:
    WordPress.com converted all its load balancers to Nginx 16 years ago, after looking at HAProxy, Perlbal, and LVS.
    https://barry.blog/2008/04/28/load-balancer-update/

Interesting reading. Would like to hear how it goes today :smiley:

I figured out Hetzner is using HAProxy in their managed LB - FYI

• dallascaodallascao Member
    edited April 25

Have several machines Identically setup and add several A or AAAA records. Most natural and perhaps the best load-balancer. Sure, you have less (almost no) control, but you have 0 overhead and so easy to configure. The modern clients are smart enough to do auto-failover, round-robin, or even geo-aware distribution when ping differences are big. I tested several times. Having three A records of the same domain, when pinging from Japan, it always returns the Japan IP.

Using A records as balancer is not only poor-man's load balancer, but it's also the smart and fully automated balancer:-)