Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New world record: 200 node kubernetes cluster created in under 4 minutes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New world record: 200 node kubernetes cluster created in under 4 minutes

This was done with my tool https://github.com/vitobotta/hetzner-k3s - I haven't released the latest changes yet.

I believe there is no other tool (open source, free, paid, managed or else) that comes even close to this speed as far as I know. Am I wrong? :)

Comments

• ChievoChievo Member

@vitobotta said:
    This was done with my tool https://github.com/vitobotta/hetzner-k3s - I haven't released the latest changes yet.

I believe there is no other tool (open source, free, paid, managed or else) that comes even close to this speed as far as I know. Am I wrong? :)

No idea my longest record is just 5 sec ......4 minutes is another league

• Good work @vitobotta!

Thanked by 1vitobotta
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@vitobotta said:

All to host granny’s knitting blog…

Francisco

• MumblyMumbly Member

@Francisco said:

@vitobotta said:

Francisco

Why so negative? I call this passion :)

Thanked by 2emgh vitobotta
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Mumbly said:

@Francisco said:

@vitobotta said:

Francisco

It’s more a joke about big kube clusters being used to host something shared hosting would handle :)

Francisco

• therawtheraw Member

you created and set up a cluster with 200 dedicated servers in 4 minutes?

• Good work

Thanked by 1vitobotta
  • MumblyMumbly Member

@Francisco said: It’s more a joke about ....

I sometimes joke that my little IRC network contains so many servers and so few people that everyone can have their own server. Not too far from truth :)

• ralfralf Member
    edited April 20

I got the world record in running round my block today, because I don't know how fast anyone else can run round it.

EDIT: sorry, actually this was a bit mean as I've never used kubernetes so no idea if this is fast or not, I just thought the way the post was written a bit funny.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member

lmao guys c'mon let the man flex his contributions that he, by the way, is releasing for anyone to use, for free

• @theraw said:
    you created and set up a cluster with 200 dedicated servers in 4 minutes?

Cloud servers with Hetzner, not dedicated. With dedicated it would be impossible of course.

@ralf said:
    I got the world record in running round my block today, because I don't know how fast anyone else can run round it.

EDIT: sorry, actually this was a bit mean as I've never used kubernetes so no idea if this is fast or not, I just thought the way the post was written a bit funny.

For a comparison, on GKE (Google's managed Kubernetes) it takes 10-15 minutes for the control plane alone and to set up a cluster with 200 nodes would take ages, like many hours at least if not longer. And even longer with AWS and Azure.

My tool, on the other hand:

• created all the resources (servers etc)
    • deployed kubernetes to all the servers
    • installed various software to provision load balancers, persistent volumes, as well as handle autoscaling and upgrades

In less than 4 minutes, total. :)

• nice

what is a kubernete?

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@Francisco said:

@Mumbly said:

@Francisco said:

@vitobotta said:

Francisco

It’s more a joke about big kube clusters being used to host something shared hosting would handle :)

Francisco

Why are you trying to take over this guy's thread to sell your shitty commoditized shared hosting?

Shared hosting has nothing to do with Kubernetes. Nobody gives a fuck about another cPanel host.

How about you make your own thread and release the source code to Stallion like you said you were going to when you sold BuyVM? That way, you could provide some value to this community instead of trying to extract more profits.

Thanked by 1thane
  • LeviLevi Member

You go Vito! I guess you didn't gave up on the project? :) glad to see that.

• Nice work! But isn't this due to hetzner using pre-warmed instances for instantaneous deployment. The performance of the underlying hardware and network speed should also play a part. A comparison of how much time it takes to do the same on other clouds should paint a better picture.

• vovlervovler Member

I assume the 200 is due to Hetzner limiting the amount of VMs you can create, cause it probably spins all instances at once. So if Hetzner allowed for 1000 VMs, it'd be a 1000 node cluster in the same 4 minutes?

• @Levi said:
    You go Vito! I guess you didn't gave up on the project? :) glad to see that.

I didn't, because I like this stuff too much...

@rattlecattle said:
    Nice work! But isn't this due to hetzner using pre-warmed instances for instantaneous deployment. The performance of the underlying hardware and network speed should also play a part. A comparison of how much time it takes to do the same on other clouds should paint a better picture.

That definitely helps, indeed. It's a combination of factors: speed up Hetzner provisioning, speed of k3s deployment, and proper handling of concurrency and the whole process by my tool.

@vovler said:
    I assume the 200 is due to Hetzner limiting the amount of VMs you can create, cause it probably spins all instances at once. So if Hetzner allowed for 1000 VMs, it'd be a 1000 node cluster in the same 4 minutes?

200 in this case is the limit of the servers I can create with my account before requesting an increase. And not, you couldn't create 1000 VMs in 4 minutes due to the rate limits with the API unfortunately.

• tmntwitwtmntwitw Member
    edited April 21

@vitobotta said: For a comparison, on GKE (Google's managed Kubernetes) it takes 10-15 minutes for the control plane alone and to set up a cluster with 200 nodes would take ages, like many hours at least if not longer. And even longer with AWS and Azure.

But GKE is using k8s, not k3s, right?

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

Hey!
    I'm also proud that in about 15 minutes I have a k8s cluster with 6 VMs hosted in the next room at HAZI.ro, am I allowed?
    Deploy VMs using terraform & cloud-init and setup cluster k8s through Ansible.

P.S.

CONGRATS! Amazing job:)

• Request limit increase in Hetzner before you created that much node.

• @tmntwitw said:

@vitobotta said: For a comparison, on GKE (Google's managed Kubernetes) it takes 10-15 minutes for the control plane alone and to set up a cluster with 200 nodes would take ages, like many hours at least if not longer. And even longer with AWS and Azure.

But GKE is using k8s, not k3s, right?

k3s IS Kubernetes, just a lighter version.

• Just created a 300 node cluster in 11 minutes. I had to interrupt and continue twice because I was hitting the Hetzner API too hard :joy: Without that problem it could have taken 6-8 minutes.

Thanked by 1mailcheap
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

@vitobotta said:
    Just created a 300 node cluster in 11 minutes. I had to interrupt and continue twice because I was hitting the Hetzner API too hard :joy: Without that problem it could have taken 6-8 minutes.

Hetzner wondering why someone's creating and destroying 300 VMs at once 🤯

Pavin.

• JosephFJosephF Member

@mailcheap said:

@vitobotta said:
    Just created a 300 node cluster in 11 minutes. I had to interrupt and continue twice because I was hitting the Hetzner API too hard :joy: Without that problem it could have taken 6-8 minutes.

Hetzner wondering why someone's creating and destroying 300 VMs at once 🤯

Pavin.

Is their any reason it would bother them?

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

@JosephF said: Is their any reason it would bother them?

Yep, spammers ruining everything everywhere for everyone.
    Hetzner probably knows @vitobotta is cool though 😇

Pavin.

• plumbergplumberg Veteran

So how does one make this an official record ? 🤔
    Something like Guiness world records.. ..

• @mailcheap said:

@JosephF said: Is their any reason it would bother them?

Yep, spammers ruining everything everywhere for everyone.
    Hetzner probably knows @vitobotta is cool though 😇

Pavin.

They actually sponsored my project :D

@plumberg said:
    So how does one make this an official record ? 🤔
    Something like Guiness world records.. ..

Good question. Would be cool if it were filed somehow official :D