Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for summer internship!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for summer internship!

BruhGamer12BruhGamer12 Member
edited April 18 in General

Hello, I am looking for an internship for the summer that would be remote. It may cost you nothing or reduce your costs as my school has a scholarship that would pay for some or all of my salary over the summer if you are not a major company and are a US company or have some presence in the US.

I am looking for any kind of technical support role, advertisement role, community manager, billing, etc. I have experience in OpenBSD, Debian, Proxmox, Bash, Python, SQL, Minecraft server management, etc. I am a US citizen and therefore am clear to work inside the United States. I study mathematics in college.

If you need further details reach out to me by DM on LET I would be happy to explain anything else you want to know.

Thank you!

(If this is not allowed mods can delete it !)

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Do you have experience on some of these?

• P4 switch programming
    • eBPF programming
    • Grafana dashboard design
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 18

Some of the providers here are not even real existing companies on paper, so be careful while you choose or you might end up wasting your time towards unofficial provider which wont exist anymore when you actually apply for a proper job and need your resume to look valid.

Don't even consider the offers which you get via PM instead of this public thread. That means the provider is not confident enough to present themselves on this thread and are only intending to make use of you without even providing a platform for learning and proper paperwork.

Thanked by 2caracal sasslik
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 18

Suppose I were a scammer or malicious person, this is how I would see your thread right now.

Semi experienced US citizen that can be used to live chat and maybe for some tickets, No way I would give him server access. this dude is basically free worker which can be slaved and sold as "Dedicated account manager" for some dumb customers with no real access to any servers. I can use this guy to make my operation appear much larger and at most I just gotta write some document that he has to sign for employment or better, have chatgpt write it for me.

He cant verify if my company really exists anyway, and I can fake it somehow since its foreign company. I could even have nothing and use the scholarship money to start this company ive been dreaming to do forever. He has no idea im actually 13 years old and if it goes to shitter, I can just run with his scholarship money instead of paying him. Just in case to avoid scrutinizing comments, I should only DM him instead of posting to his thread.

This guy is clearly desperate since he posts to LowEndTalk for internship and even offers money which gets paid back to himself. If he knew anything, he would contact his local providers directly instead or use a more organized website for hiring such as webhostingtalk.

I can 100% scam this guy and throw him around without giving him any real access to do any technical work cuz I dont trust him with my systems as Im not competent enough to have setup tiered access for situations like these. If he becomes hard to handle due my constant exploiting, I can just threaten to give him a bad rating to his college internship grading or threaten to directly fire him which would affect his total grades.

Im not losing or risking to lose anything in this deal.

• BruhGamer12BruhGamer12 Member
    edited April 18

@stefeman said:
    Suppose I were a scammer or malicious person, this is how I would see your thread right now.

Semi experienced US citizen that can be used to live chat and maybe for some tickets, No way I would give him server access. this dude is basically free worker which can be slaved and sold as "Dedicated account manager" for some dumb customers with no real access to any servers. I can use this guy to make my operation appear much larger and at most I just gotta write some document that he has to sign for employment or better, have chatgpt write it for me.

He cant verify if my company really exists anyway, and I can fake it somehow since its foreign company. I could even have nothing and use the scholarship money to start this company ive been dreaming to do forever. He has no idea im actually 13 years old and if it goes to shitter, I can just run with his scholarship money instead of paying him. Just in case to avoid scrutinizing comments, I should only DM him instead of posting to his thread.

This guy is clearly desperate since he posts to LowEndTalk for internship and even offers money which gets paid back to himself. If he knew anything, he would contact his local providers directly instead or use a more organized website for hiring such as webhostingtalk.

I can 100% scam this guy and throw him around without giving him any real access to do any technical work cuz I dont trust him with my systems as Im not competent enough to have setup tiered access for situations like these. If he becomes hard to handle due my constant exploiting, I can just threaten to give him a bad rating to his college internship grading or threaten to directly fire him which would affect his total grades.

Im not losing or risking to lose anything in this deal.

Just to be clear they don't get any money. I get it directly from the school and my school doesn't ask for any feedback or accept any from companies. I'm not graded on it or anything and its not any kind of requirement. I don't have any local providers where I live is why I post hehe.

• DartNodeDartNode Member, Patron Provider

@stefeman said:

You bring up some really valid points for OP to consider - but I did want to point out. WHT is full of scammers too. We could make a whole thread about WHT and everything related. The whole internet is full of scammers, and you're rarely going to find a safe space away from them. OP could just as easily get scammed by any of the fake local job/internship postings on google job search, indeed, monster, etc.

OP 100% needs to do their due diligence. I wouldn't be so much worried about the money, but making sure OP gets something worthwhile out of the experience.

The money seems like it will paid from a University program, which I'm assuming will be set up directly with the University and not through OP. Scamming a University will be much more difficult, however I'm sure not impossible.

@BruhGamer12 I know you're looking at a remote role, but it would help to include your location. At our company in person interviews and orientation is still the norm - even for remote positions.

Thanked by 1stefeman
    edited April 18

@DartNode said:

@stefeman said:

You bring up some really valid points for OP to consider - but I did want to point out. WHT is full of scammers too. We could make a whole thread about WHT and everything related. The whole internet is full of scammers, and you're rarely going to find a safe space away from them. OP could just as easily get scammed by any of the fake local job/internship postings on google job search, indeed, monster, etc.

OP 100% needs to do their due diligence. I wouldn't be so much worried about the money, but making sure OP gets something worthwhile out of the experience.

The money seems like it will paid from a University program, which I'm assuming will be set up directly with the University and not through OP. Scamming a University will be much more difficult, however I'm sure not impossible.

@BruhGamer12 I know you're looking at a remote role, but it would help to include your location. At our company in person interviews and orientation is still the norm - even for remote positions.

Money is paid directly to me. No money goes anywhere to a company. I'm near Asheville NC.

@BruhGamer12 said:

@DartNode said:

@stefeman said:

Money is paid directly to me. No money goes anywhere to a company. I'm near Asheville NC.

Maybe @jonbeard has something :) He's in NC too

edited April 18

@DartNode said:

@BruhGamer12 said:

@DartNode said:

@stefeman said:

Alright, thank you! I do think people misinterpreted what I said in the original post - no one is paying a company to hire me - I am just receiving money from a diff source to help offset wages I would likely not receive due to inexperience, but no one would ever see that except me.

@BruhGamer12 said:

@DartNode said:

@BruhGamer12 said:

@DartNode said:

@stefeman said:

Alright, thank you! I do think people misinterpreted what I said in the original post - no one is paying a company to hire me - I am just receiving money from a diff source to help offset wages I would likely not receive due to inexperience, but no one would ever see that accept me.

I understand. However, in many states (including Texas where we're based) unpaid internships are not legal - I misunderstood this as the University having a grant that they give to the company offering the internship, who then pays it to the student as wages earned for the internship.

edited April 18

@DartNode said: I understand. However, in many states (including Texas where we're based) unpaid internships are not legal - I misunderstood this as the University having a grant that they give to the company offering the internship, who then pays it to the student as wages earned for the internship.

Ah yes I see. Yeah, the idea is to make an unpaid internship paid essentially. Thank you again tho!