Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

simplest way to transfer email server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

simplest way to transfer email server

netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Is there a simple way to transfer emails from one provider to other?

I was thinking about Thunderbird, but I don't know if that's the simplest way

Comments

• yea using pop3 and downloading all mails to your pc is the easiest way i think..

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

You can rsync the email files and make sure to chown -R if needed.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2014

There are IMAP sync programs, or you can always rsync Maildir.

• imapsync is pretty good; you can find it free if you search around.

I personally use MoveMyMail, but I work there, so I'm biased. PM me for a treat.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

So when i use IMAP, basically can i create with Rsync 2 mailservers with failover?

• Infinity580 said: So when i use IMAP, basically can i create with Rsync 2 mailservers with failover?

If you have access to your mbox or Maildir, and if both servers are configured in the same way, then you could effectively achieve this. It'd be more of a master/slave type deal since rsync is unidirectional. You'd also have to make sure your non-working server dies hard and refuses mail so your secondary MX will take traffic. Just make sure you don't rsync from the failed server when it comes back up, or you'll lose your mail on the secondary.

It'd probably be best to use a DB-backed mailstore with replication for this; much less hackish.

• @perennate said:
    There are IMAP sync programs, or you can always rsync Maildir.

I use the rsync route to backup my mail server. I have also used it to save mail when moving between providers. Works quite well.

• Use Microsoft outlook and export the entire mailbox to a .pst file.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Nope, they are not my servers. Will try imapsync thx

• I have used imapcopy it has worked well for me. It's java based but I haven't encounter problems even on OpenVZ based vps.

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

I second that...If you have CLI access, rsync is your friend :)

• Imapsync has worked very well for me in the past when doing manual migrations from different control panels.