Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Screwed up laptop login, any ideas besides wipe?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Screwed up laptop login, any ideas besides wipe?

My Lenovo laptop has fingerprint scanner which I normally use. I use it for so long that I forgot password/PIN.

The other day I swipe my finger wrong 3 times and it asked for PIN/Password which I can't remember. Now it only wants my password/PIN even after many repeat shutdown/restarts.

Anyone know if there Is any way to force windows to use fingerprint again or any easy way to fix rather than wipe and re-install windows?

Comments

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited April 15

Do the utilman password reset method (google it), adding "disable early launch anti-malware" boot for recent windows

If you had bitlocker enabled (and not using MS account), press F to pay respects

• afnafn Member

As darkimmortal mentioned, if you had your drive fully encrypted with bitlocker, it is gone. (unless you have your emergency keys?)

If not, the simple windows login is nothing, You can try the method mentioned. Other options: you can reset windows via an install media while keeping the files. You can boot from a live linux drive and access your internal drive with the data, you can plug the drive as an external drive to another computer using a Sata adapter.

• @afn said:
    As darkimmortal mentioned, if you had your drive fully encrypted with bitlocker, it is gone. (unless you have your emergency keys?)

If not, the simple windows login is nothing, You can try the method mentioned. Other options: you can reset windows via an install media while keeping the files. You can boot from a live linux drive and access your internal drive with the data, you can plug the drive as an external drive to another computer using a Sata adapter.

Drive is not encrypted. I don't want to lose license key as I have Windows 10 Education license without all the bloat/cortana which I like.

• If you look around online, there are a million ways to bypass a local nonencrypted Windows 10 login.

• djndjn Member

https://account.live.com/password/reset
    or if its a local account just use a boot cd/usb to change the password

• NanjaNanja Member
    edited April 15

Some lenovo laptop allows you to login to safe mode without password. For local accounts.
    It will be labeled "Login Windows without Password." or something similar.

You can use the command prompt to change password of user using "net user."

Lookup your model of lenovo because some steps differ from others based on version/model.

You can also completely remove the password which might suit you.

Just be careful, you can't make typos when doing this.

• VoidVoid Member

Since it is not encrypted, lookup ‘Sticky Key exploit’ and reset the password easily.

• Just use Kon-Boot if its non-encrypted.

• @BruhGamer12 said:
    If you look around online, there are a million ways to bypass a local nonencrypted Windows 10 login.

I was hoping someone know an easy way to get Windows to ask me for finderprint again. That would be easiest thing but the f&ing things refuses to now, no matter what I do. I thought fingerprint is more secure than PIN/Pwd so I am confused why it now defaults to this.

@Nanja said:
    Some lenovo laptop allows you to login to safe mode without password. For local accounts.

Lookup your model of lenovo because some steps differ from others based on version/model.

I will check this.

@Void said:
    Since it is not encrypted, lookup ‘Sticky Key exploit’ and reset the password easily.

This seem similar to the expolits mentioned above so I will investigate.

@stefeman said:
    Just use Kon-Boot if its non-encrypted.

It's not worth buying Kon-Boot and spending money as I do not have any valuable info on laptop. I was hoping some one knew how to get windows to ask me for fingerprint again as that would log me in the easiest way.

MS just making shit hard!

• slimbroslimbro Member

Hello try download Windows Login Unlocker and boot it in you laptop you can reset or remove password of you windows os you can download the iso in this site

• @asterisk14 said:

@BruhGamer12 said:
    If you look around online, there are a million ways to bypass a local nonencrypted Windows 10 login.

I was hoping someone know an easy way to get Windows to ask me for finderprint again. That would be easiest thing but the f&ing things refuses to now, no matter what I do. I thought fingerprint is more secure than PIN/Pwd so I am confused why it now defaults to this.

@Nanja said:

I will check this.

@Void said:

@stefeman said:

It's not worth buying Kon-Boot and spending money as I do not have any valuable info on laptop. I was hoping some one knew how to get windows to ask me for fingerprint again as that would log me in the easiest way.

Just pirate it lol.

• @asterisk14 said: Anyone know if there Is any way to force windows to use fingerprint again or any easy way to fix rather than wipe and re-install windows?

Why not login to Windows and then redo the fingerprint scanner?

• @aakashmishra007 said:

@asterisk14 said: Anyone know if there Is any way to force windows to use fingerprint again or any easy way to fix rather than wipe and re-install windows?

Why not login to Windows and then redo the fingerprint scanner?

I've been using the fingerprint for so long that I forgot PIN/Password!

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited April 16

@stefeman said:

@asterisk14 said:

@BruhGamer12 said:

@Nanja said:

I will check this.

@Void said:

@stefeman said:

Just pirate it lol.

Just call Microsoft with the issue details and they will issue another valid key.

PS - on a side note, keep product key / serial number in an email so that you can retrieve it later.

You can always use Windows Server 2022 (it is very much like Windows 10 prof, but more stable and secure). The trial version is good for 180 days and can be extended 3 more times

• @Void said:

This.

• afnafn Member
    edited April 16

in addition to the exploits mentioned, the reinstall media lets you re-install the same version.

Re-installing modern windows version does not require re-activation. (most) Windows consumer license are tied to the hardware, some can be transferred, some can't. But generally, you do not need a key to reinstall Windows 10/11.

Download the iso, burn it with rufus, when asked pick windows 10/11 edu and it will just activate. (this should work as long as you do not change the motherboard)

But, You don't even need to reinstall, you can bypass the password with many ways as mentioned above by other users. Check youtube, reddit, etc