Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PhotonVPS aka Psychz Networks use by default "changeme!@#" pass for all new VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PhotonVPS aka Psychz Networks use by default "changeme!@#" pass for all new VPS

edited April 15 in Providers

Had a call recently with this provider for fun (seems like they outsource all support to India). Explained that they have shitty security practices and should not have the same default pass on every machine (tested all regions).

The answer was basically — "Hmphm, please open the ticket if you want non-default root password, before ordering" LMAO WHAT.

Either way I used many providers and this is first time seeing this. They don't even acknowledge that this is bad.

inb4 use SSH keys

Comments

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider
  • Maybe the problem will just cure itself as there's probably like 6 kiddies scanning their ranges right now for systems accepting changeme!@#. I mean out of 10 users there's bound to be at least one who's to lazy to changeit!@#.

• @totally_not_banned said:
    Maybe the problem will just cure itself as there's probably like 6 kiddies scanning their ranges right now for systems accepting changeme!@#. I mean out of 10 users there's bound to be at least one who's to lazy to changeit!@#.

I think most realistic and worst case scenario you deploy VPS and decide to check it later, because of meeting/eating/going sleep/shitting/what ever.

• @TheGreatOakley said:

@totally_not_banned said:
    Maybe the problem will just cure itself as there's probably like 6 kiddies scanning their ranges right now for systems accepting changeme!@#. I mean out of 10 users there's bound to be at least one who's to lazy to changeit!@#.

I think most realistic and worst case scenario you deploy VPS and decide to check it later, because of meeting/eating/going sleep/shitting/what ever.

I do that a lot of times, I reinstall and forget.

at least now chances of my VPS idling are less, I hope someone will make good use of it. :blush:

• @anubhavhirani said:

@TheGreatOakley said:

I do that a lot of times, I reinstall and forget.

at least now chances of my VPS idling are less, I hope someone will make good use of it. :blush:

You are a perfect citizen, bless you.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • @TheGreatOakley said:

Never underestimate the lazyness of people.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@TheGreatOakley said:
    Either way I used many providers and this is first time seeing this. They don't even acknowledge that this is bad.

inb4 use SSH keys

The last time I experienced this somewhere, keys were required to login, the default password was used VNC console login and sudo. They recommended it be changed.

There can be reasons it be done, not all of them good..

• vpn2024vpn2024 Member
    edited April 16

There is a few shitty providers that do this, and when you call them out of it they claim your assertion that this is a risk is absurd. Just nmap their tiny IP space for new 22 listeners and away you go.. you can script it (including the ssh login) with a tiny python tornado script.

They deserve to deadpool.

You should presume that your system has already been compromised and find a new provider, the risk is very real.

• wotetiwoteti Member
    edited April 16

@TheGreatOakley said:
    They don't even acknowledge that this is bad.

That's been my experience with any provider being told that their security practices are shit (in polite terms).

Maybe the following is obvious/not necessary, but this thread is evidence to the contrary so here it is:

tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9' < /dev/random | head -c 32

Hosts, use it in your automation. Or if you want to copy-pasta, might as well c-p the output of that line instead of some generic shit.

• Will tag here @GeoBeo as well. Let's see if they take security seriously or don't give a flying fuck.

• JabJabJabJab Member

Year is 1995.
    Oh wait, it is not.

• Ed_ChdEd_Chd Member
    edited April 16

Expired certificates on their apex domain, looking good too.