Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is there lack of love for VMware & XEN HVM? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is there lack of love for VMware & XEN HVM?

13»

Comments

• c0yc0y Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    jbiloh nice one, nothing special needed, just a CPU that supports full virt, even single disk is fine, 8GB Ram it does need IPMI/KVMoIP though that is remote media capable, bios locked down, don't give us access to that and needs to be for around 30 days.

Got anything that would fit?

Why not let @serverian do it - he is knowledgable in multiple virts and not a biased Xen fanboy

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@c0y I think your missing half a conversation here :)

He is going to do the KVM setup, I am going to do the Xen setup, the actual benchmarks will be ran by someone independent of both of us to ensure it was non bias, we are both pretty excited about giving the facts to the community regardless of outcome and final numbers :)

• c0yc0y Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    c0y I think your missing half a conversation here :)

He is going to do the KVM setup, I am going to do the Xen setup, the actual benchmarks will be ran by someone independent of both of us to ensure it was non bias, we are both pretty excited about giving the facts to the community regardless of outcome and final numbers :)

Ooh, my apologies, that is a great idea! :-)

• @AnthonySmith said:
    c0y I think your missing half a conversation here :)

I have a spare dedi that I can supply. It's @ Delimiter w/ 16GB RAM, 500GB HDD, iLo.

No idea how well it would work with VT.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    HW Raid would be nice but not really needed, if we use mdadm they all need to use the same same stripe size and settings, no turning off NCQ etc.

Not to derail the topic at hand, but does turning off NCQ give that much of a performance improvement? I always thought having it enabled would help.

I don't honestly know, that's why I'm asking...

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

AnthonySmith said: we are both pretty excited about giving the facts to the community regardless of outcome and final numbers :)

$10 on XEN, don't let me down :)

• AnthonySmith said: we are both pretty excited about giving the facts to the community regardless of outcome and final numbers :)

I don't care about the outcome and final numbers. All I care is that both of you are among the best providers that are about to show a demonstration of how good you are in tweaking different types of virtualization :)

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited January 2014

@AnthonySmith said:
    I think we will probably skip vmware for this round, if there is time left I will config the vmware node too though I have enough experience to give it a fair crack.

XEN 4.4 is going to be released in 17 days, I would suggest benchmarking Vmware or KVM first & then for XEN when 4.4 is released :D

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • jbiloh said: Sure we can do that.

Yeah, that would be really awesome! Thanks!!

vRozenSch00n said: I don't care about the outcome and final numbers. All I care is that both of you are among the best providers that are about to show a demonstration of how good you are in tweaking different types of virtualization :)

Even though I agree with you on that both are great guys, I personally think the results do matter. It's basically the most interesting of all! We know they are capable, now it's time to compare the technologies. Some benchmarks and a real comparison would really be nice to post and share with the community.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited January 2014

mpkossen said: Some benchmarks and a real comparison would really be nice to post and share with the community.

Ok, I agree with this.

What I really mean with "I don't care about the outcome and final numbers" is actually in terms of winning or losing. :)

Both guys are great, and the technologies in comparison has their pluses and minuses.

IMHO, for commercial purpose it depends on the skill and experience of the person(s) who push each virtualization technology to the limit to enable users/customers get the best experience in using their service. :)

@Sledger said:
    XEN 4.4 is going to be released in 17 days, I would suggest benchmarking Vmware & KVM & then for XEN when 4.4 is released :D

Yeah I will probably stick to 4.2/3 though as using PVH on 4.4 is a little unfair :) I could go 4.4 and not use PVH though I suppose.

We shall see.

@javaj said:

It helps if your using standard SATA disks yes, think of it as something used to optimise the timing of the head movement on the drive to be more efficient, in a raid setup, especially mdadm it is largely redundant though and can actually make things less optimal, there are lots of opinions on it to be honest but the truth is it is probably so small of a difference its not worth the hassle.

I mention it only to make sure the 2 setups are as similar as possible.

• AnthonySmith said: Yeah I will probably stick to 4.2/3 though as using PVH on 4.4 is a little unfair :) I could go 4.4 and not use PVH though I suppose.

We shall see.

I'm selfishly hoping that @AnthonySmith is leaving the door open there to the possibility of benchmarking both versions (his valuable time permitting) :)

It would make more sense to bench 4.x and 3.x solusvm by default uses 3.x unless you do a manual install of Xen first, that is largely the reason it got a reputation as not being as fast.. they bundle an 8 year old hypervisor!