Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self-hosted search (4get, searx, etc.) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Self-hosted search (4get, searx, etc.)

2»

Comments

• emghemgh Member

I like being profiled

• daviddavid Member

That's fine if you like being profiled. I know some people like getting targeted advertisements; they see it as a feature. I think a lot just don't care one way or the other.

I remember, years ago, testing something, I told the guy I was working with to clear his browser cache, and he was really concerned that would take away all his logins and cookies.

I normally clear (almost) everything in my browser several times a day.

Thanked by 1shruub
  • shruubshruub Member

@Hannan said:
    Is this very common to use? We can deploy this as an application into our platform.

Not really, searxng might be a little more common (and less edgy). Still cool to add (both), should be easy if you've already got the plattform.

Thanked by 1Hannan
  • daviddavid Member

I installed whoogle today, too. So far, it seems to work well with google. I haven't received any scraping errors with it, as I do sometimes with 4get.

Whoogle doesn't support a proxy pool like 4get does. You can set it to a specific socks5 proxy, but you'd have to change a setting and restart the service to change it.

The styling is obviously different. I notice some of the favicons in whoogle look broken sometimes. I suspect they timeout quickly and don't load all of them. Whereas with 4get, the page continues to load all of the favicons, even if it takes a long time, and it caches them to disk.

I added a Proxy display to 4get since it rotates through a pool, so if there's an issue I can tell which one was used.

I did have some issues initially getting the socks5 proxy to work with whoogle, but I got it to work eventually. If you use pip to install it, it's missing PySocks (have to install it manually).