Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu 24.04 LTS (Noble Numbat) in final beta testing, 25th April launch
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu 24.04 LTS (Noble Numbat) in final beta testing, 25th April launch

Ubuntu 24.04 LTS (Noble Numbat) are looking for the community to test and report bugs before the 25th April launch.

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubuntu-24-04-beta-testing/44040

download here
http://releases.ubuntu.com/noble/

Lets hope the distro is better than the name. anyway the server and desktop versions are available.

Has anyone tried it yet? server or desktop?

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@nocloud said: Has anyone tried it yet? server or desktop?

I recommend waiting some months before using in production. Also, make sure the previous version has been updated to the last point release before upgrading and even then...
    Blingy desktops etc. should be fine, though.

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@Maounique said:

I recommend waiting some months before using in production. Also, make sure the previous version has been updated to the last point release before upgrading and even then...
    Blingy desktops etc. should be fine, though.

What is the recommended memory for ubuntu desktop?

They recommend 4 GB, but it depends onw hat you want to do with it.
    I can run it in 128 mb, perhaps, but if I need a modern browser I need at least 512 mb to be usable somewhat.
    I am currently working with 24 GB and I feel the need to upgrade to 32, but I run all kinds of shit including windows VMs with games inside. I have made a similar desktop for a friend and he uses about 50 gb out of 64.
    A simple desktop to write mails, answer tickets, access panels and whatnot could do in 1 GB if you are willing to close tabs, but if you are like me and like all the tabs to say open with everything in them, then you need a few browsers with tens of tabs each and 16 GB at the minimum. I use more browsers due the the proxies I need to use to access various locations and because I like to keep things grouped up.

Thanked by 1dev_vps
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member

Thank you @Maounique
    I greatly appreciated the detailed write up.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • h2oh2o Member

still using 18.04 (NO SNAPD)

Thanked by 2hecatae chitree
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

(No, I haven't tried it yet)

For ordinary users, they recommend waiting until the minor version .1 appears before upgrading from the previous LTS version. In the case of 24.04, the minor version .1 will appear in late July or early August

Thanked by 1nocloud
  • nocloudnocloud Member

@Maounique said:
    They recommend 4 GB, but it depends onw hat you want to do with it.
    I can run it in 128 mb, perhaps, but if I need a modern browser I need at least 512 mb to be usable somewhat.
    I am currently working with 24 GB and I feel the need to upgrade to 32, but I run all kinds of shit including windows VMs with games inside. I have made a similar desktop for a friend and he uses about 50 gb out of 64.
    A simple desktop to write mails, answer tickets, access panels and whatnot could do in 1 GB if you are willing to close tabs, but if you are like me and like all the tabs to say open with everything in them, then you need a few browsers with tens of tabs each and 16 GB at the minimum. I use more browsers due the the proxies I need to use to access various locations and because I like to keep things grouped up.

But you didn't actually state your using the beta version at the moment as a desktop machine, just kind of implied it. Are you using 24.04 day to day, or just tested it in a VM, or something else?

also of topic but what is it you actually do day to day that requires you to use multiple proxies?

• nocloudnocloud Member

@johndeo983 said:
    Debian

Yer i'm using Debian 12 at the moment as my desktop, but some versions of apt/dpkg software is a little behind the curve in debian, so considering a change.

Might just stick with Debian or try something else entirely.

Ubuntu would be better off just dropping snaps and embracing flatpaks, but it's a fairly easy fix, at least in 22.04

@nocloud said: also of topic but what is it you actually do day to day that requires you to use multiple proxies?

I am logging into various networks that allow only certain IPs.

@nocloud said: But you didn't actually state your using the beta version at the moment as a desktop machine, just kind of implied it. Are you using 24.04 day to day, or just tested it in a VM, or something else?

1. I don't consider 24.04 as a "beta". Beta means something else, it is just a collection of software of which some might be beta indeed.
    2. I don't use Ubuntu desktop at all. Even for servers, where I can, I convince people to stay away unless they have a specific reason. I do have an Ubuntu phone, but that is kind of a different topic.
    3. When I speak about desktop, I speak about a general desktop, any major distro can have a minimal desktop and a fully bloated one, even Ubuntu can be installed minimalistically. When I speak about Ubuntu I speak about servers, one must be a masochist in my view to be an Ubuntu server admin. I have had to solve tons of botched upgrades in Ubuntu and none on Debian except on no longer supported/legacy software situations and even then...
  • CeranaCerana Member

I've had great experiences using previous versions of Ubuntu, and each time I've been impressed by the level of stability, performance, and usability of this operating system. Each update has brought new features and improvements, making Ubuntu even more attractive to use on both home and work computers. Now that Ubuntu 24.04 LTS is in preview, I can't help but be interested in what it will offer.

• emghemgh Member

@Cerana said:
    I've had great experiences using previous versions of Ubuntu, and each time I've been impressed by the level of stability, performance, and usability of this operating system. Each update has brought new features and improvements, making Ubuntu even more attractive to use on both home and work computers. Now that Ubuntu 24.04 LTS is in preview, I can't help but be interested in what it will offer.

😔

• nocloudnocloud Member
    edited April 25

@Maounique said:

@nocloud said: But you didn't actually state your using the beta version at the moment as a desktop machine, just kind of implied it. Are you using 24.04 day to day, or just tested it in a VM, or something else?

1. I don't consider 24.04 as a "beta". Beta means something else, it is just a collection of software of which some might be beta indeed.

Not my words, just going on how Canonical describe it. But it's not the final release version and it's past the initial alpha version, so beta seems like the best description to me. Anyway the initial final release is out today.

Anyway I prefer Debian, just that for a desktop user at least some of the latest features are missing one off the top of my head is the built-in translation in Firefox. The latest version being 124.0.2 and the Debian 12 version is 115.9.1.

It's the trade off of all Linux distros, either get Arch and have the latest cutting edge software and, the possibility things will break your install or get a rock solid Debian derivative and get older software . And every possible combo in-between like in fedora and others, where it's a happy medium but sooner or later you'll find out it's missing some app or software altogether.

The problem with Linux is too much hard work spread over many competing ethoses, but still the trade off's against the benefit of almost complete control make it better than windows or mac as a desktop. Mac is OK but it also feels a lot like Linux on rails. And both Windows and Mac is well just a data collection tool for Microsoft or apple.

But having said all that even though there are probably hundreds of active or semi-active distros, Linux is still missing the killer distro. I mean a distro that like Mint is user friendly for beginners, like Arch has the latest software, like Debian is rock solid, like Ubuntu has access to a huge recourse base.

As for server, if I use a domain control panel then I use whatever they recommend. also for a VPS at least the VPS control panel can really make things easier.

Loads of reviews hitting youtube at the moment.