Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What billing model do you prefer for VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What billing model do you prefer for VPS?

sivesive Member, Host Rep
edited April 11 in General

There are several ways you could be billed in order to provision cloud resources, the most popular here seems to be a prepaid subscription but I'm curious about what you think of others, if you are strongly in favor one way tell me about why.

Classic Prepaid Subscription

• You pay for the upcoming month up front.
  • Stripe / Paypal subscription.
  • Used on many WHMCS billing portals.
  • Can be long term such as 3 years in order to have a lower price for the service.

Account Balance Credit

• You will top up your account balance before you can deploy services.
  • Easier to implement crypto for purchasing.
  • Some hourly based service providers use this model.

Pay As You Go / 1st of The Month For The Previous 30 Days Usage

• Many hourly based large cloud service providers bill you retroactively on the first of the month for the previous month because many of their services might only be used for a few minutes at a time or for the whole month.
  • Digital Ocean, Linode, Vultr.
  • Need to have a card attached to your account.
  • Limits are imposed on how much you can provision for your first few months in order to ensure they are paid.
Billing Model
  1. What billing model do you prefer for VPS?31 votes
    1. Classic Prepaid Subscription
      67.74%
    2. Account Balance Credit
        9.68%
    3. Pay As You Go / 1st of The Month For The Previous 30 Days Usage
      22.58%

Comments

• NanjaNanja Member

I think for people with many online services, prepaid subscriptions the way to go.
    Less of a hassle, especially for many servers from various companies.

I use paypal subscription on everything, the paypal auto payments can be easily managed on the paypal website.

I personally feel more secure this way too, since if a host turns out to be a summer host. Go to paypal and turn off auto pay before I get scammed, if payment goes through I just file dispute. Ez pz

Lately though, I started converting to using privacy.com to make virtual cards that auto refills every month of the day payment will be made.
    I create a one use virtual card if I feel off about a company/purchase.
    I guess this is also a prepaid method.

• LeviLevi Member

I preffer this:

• I see the offer;
    • I research provider: company info, exact person behind the ceo role, asn, network and if possible YABS;
    • On a green light event I transfer X currency to the service provider and he in exchange provides me with resources described in offer;
    • On a red light event provider added to shitlist and never seen again;

Straightforward algo. Helps to keep deadpool events to minimum.

• nick_nick_ Member

I prefer paying upfront like 1-3 years if I'm confident in the provider. Having account balance credit is a big plus for paying in advance too.

• vinhaisvinhais Member

For production applications expected to last a long time, I prefer contracts. However, for idle services, tests or just doing a YABS and never accessing it again: prepaid is the best model.

• I prefer the first one, don't ask me why but I got used to it.

I never top up balance on websites, I prefer to pay in advance for the service.

• ailiceailice Member

I love second one, cause somehow I need some computing hourly for compiling and I okay to spend on account balance.

• eriseris Member

Need to have a card attached to your account.

Hetzner allows "manually" billing for Pay as you go...

• eriseris Member

Hourly billing FTW:

I start a lot of VM for maybe an hour or even less.

• kaitkait Member

Option 1 and 2 combined is best.

• prefer prepaid with paypal one time payment.

but free is always best.

Thanked by 1Carlin0