Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting the IP of my site
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Getting the IP of my site

I have a Wordpress site that was hosted on one of the many many VPS that I have bought over the years. The DNS was hosted by Cloudflare. Recently I was doing an update on the DNS of some of my domains and accidentally change the A record of that domain to another IP. Cloudflare confirmed that they don't keep an archive of the A records of my domain and using any IP/domain lookup tool will only give me the IP of Cloudflare in the archived records.

So now my site is alive and online but I don't know what's the IP (as dumb as it sounds), and I am just wondering if there is any way I could find the IP of the site (either via Google search or something else) since I remembered people used to be able to get the IP of LowEndTalk through Google somehow even back in the days when LET was behind Cloudflare.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Comments

• there are many addons on firefox to show you the ip.

or use this site

http://www.site24x7.com/find-ip-address-of-web-site.html

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited January 2014

edit: nvm, i'm stupid

• @Makenai said:
    You can use nslookup or dig (on Linux) for that.

No he can't.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

You say that your wordpress site is working?
    Perhaps this plugin can help you? http://wordpress.org/plugins/server-ip/

• MikHo said: You say that your wordpress site is working? Perhaps this plugin can help you? http://wordpress.org/plugins/server-ip/

Unfortunately I don't have access to my site because I forgot the IP of the site, else it would have been easy :)

• Doesn't work either because I have already changed the A record and I have no subdomain pointing to that A record. SiteReport does not show the IP of the actual site either since it was hidden behind cloudflare since day 1....

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

So, how can you enter your site?

• netomx said: So, how can you enter your site?

I can't....and that is the problem. Sorry I weren't being clear. I "think" the site is up because I checked every single VPS before I cancel them to make sure there is nothing on the VPS but in reality I have no idea which VPS it is on or who the provider is, etc etc.

• Don't you know which provider the sites with? Go through your setup emails in your inbox and try find the right one?

• Jono20201 said: Don't you know which provider the sites with? Go through your setup emails in your inbox and try find the right one?

I have my site on a VPS, but I did not keep track on which VPS I put my site on, so provider emails won't help me at all.

• @zhaynyi so login to each one of your VPSes and search for some of the files only found on this website? Like some specific image or something?

• rds100 said: so login to each one of your VPSes and search for some of the files only found on this website? Like some specific image or something?

Yes, that would be the last resort, I was hoping for a quicker way since I have probably 40 or 50 VPS with many of them that I paid yearly that I probably don't even remember by now...bad habbit I know....

• are you able to access the wp admin page? If yes then try to add this: "<?php echo $_SERVER['SERVER_ADDR'] ?>" to your existing theme to get the ip and remove it afterwards

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • wcypierre said: are you able to access the wp admin page? If yes then try to add this: "<?php echo $_SERVER['SERVER_ADDR'] ?>" to your existing theme to get the ip and remove it afterwards

No unfortunately, I don't know what the IP is to my site.

• this sounds to me, like you want to get real ip of another site, not yours.

i cant belive you dont know your site hostname, or cloudflare account to check NS or IP.

bullshit.

Thanked by 2Mark_R perennate
  • edited January 2014

Any e-mail notification left from that WP blog? Try to check headers of that e-mail.
    If there isn't any, try look up http://dnshistory.org

• DylanDylan Member
    edited January 2014

cloudflare-watch.org has a disturbingly comprehensive searchable archive of original IPs:

http://www.cloudflare-watch.org/cfs.html#box

• thank to you, you broke all cloudflare attempts to protect sites...

lol xD

ruth.ns.cloudflare.com
    ken.ns.cloudflare.com

SSL certificate info for lowendtalk.com

A direct-connect IP address was found: lowendtalk.com

i should suggest to remove address =)

• dedicados said: i should suggest to remove address =)

If that site wasn't super easy to find with a Google search I might not have posted it, but it is (not to mention that someone else linked to a site that linked there earlier in this thread).

• No direct-connect IP address was found for this domain.

I think I just have to stop being lazy and log into every single box I have until I found the one....

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @zhuanyi said:

I think I just have to stop being lazy and log into every single box I have until I found the one....

Don't forget to document as you go. ;)

Thanked by 1zhuanyi
  • painfreepcpainfreepc Member
    edited January 2014

OK Here We Go

just input your domain name here
    http://whoisrequest.org/

click IP History on left sidebar, this will show ip history of your domain

WOW, check out all the tools

will show ip history - all domain hosted, upto 300 for free

will show ns history - all domain served by that dns

will show domain history - all pass dns server by year

• @painfreepc said:
    OK Here We Go

just input your domain name here
    http://whoisrequest.org/

click IP History on left sidebar, this will show ip history of your domain

WOW, check out all the tools

will show ip history - all domain hosted, upto 300 for free

will show ns history - all domain served by that dns

will show domain history - all pass dns server by year

This is a useful website! Unfortunately all I could get are the cloudflare IPs...I guess I hide the domain behind Cloudflare since day 1 which now I really regret!

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Useful trick; if you use OpenSSH (the default SSH client on most Linux distros), you can add a command to run directly after the SSH command: ssh [email protected] ls /var/www/some-file.php (where some-file.php is a file unique to this site - you can of course also use other commands). It will connect, run the command, print the output, and exit.

Make a list of SSH commands for each of the hostnames of your VPSes, then just paste the whole thing into a shell, and either it will spam a bunch of output at you (if you're using a keypair for auth), or ask you for your password all the time (when using password auth). Either way, you should eventually end up with a list of output from every server - and the server you're looking for, should be recognizable in that list :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • zhuanyi said: I think I just have to stop being lazy and log into every single box I have until I found the one....

Script it! You just have to make a script that will login to each box (should be simple since you're using SSH key, right?), check for the existence of a file that you know has to exist on only the server you're looking for (since it's Wordpress, you'll want to have it search for "wp-config.php" or something like that), and if it finds it, it lets you know which server it is.

• What do you have like one million VPS's, I think you hacker..

• you should receive email during the wp blog installation....find it if you still not delete it.....there should be record of server ip in the header....

• VPNVPN Member

@painfreepc said:
    What do you have like one million VPS's, I think you hacker..

Most likely not a hacker lol. I have loads of VPS's too, does that mean I'm a hacker?
    I love getting those login details for a fresh VPS and then getting to set it all up. Doing RSA keys, installing all my needed RPMs (or Debs depending what I've gone for).

It's an addiction, no different to a smoker or an alcoholic.

Thanked by 1netomx