Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudf#%&! power outage yet again!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudf#%&! power outage yet again!

jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
edited April 9 in General

It seems "flexential", a "colo-provider" mainly employs derps feeling to be (after all, we're talking about their Portland, Oregon, aka murrica's mental asylum, "data center") "engineers".
After the power outage in November 2023 they managed to fail again less than half a year later and to surprise Cloudf#%&!, certainly one of their major customers, yet again by crippling their operations via a power outage.

So, "the cloud" isn't something magic in heaven but at the end of the day rather [based on] something down on the ground and shockingly obviously prone to failure?! Fiddlesticks, had only we been told in time!

Now, chant with me "Trust the cloud, it can't fail!" ...

Thanked by 1kkrajk

Comments

• JosephFJosephF Member

Who is more reliable than Cloudflare?

• Let me guess, you are on the free tier..

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

What's this got to do with Cloudflare if you mention Flexential DC power outage.

Granted I don't live in Portland and my traffic is routed through Dallas.

• ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited April 9

If I were a company, I would trust my data much more with Cloudflare than I would with {insert MSP here}.

Cloud services aren't magic, but if you want to pitch it to the CEO or whatever, it might as well be.

Also CF's panel died for a solid 7 minutes, calm your tits.

Thanked by 2martheen Naomii
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited April 9

@MikeA said:
    What's this got to do with Cloudflare if you mention Flexential DC power outage.

Granted I don't live in Portland and my traffic is routed through Dallas.

Simple. A reasonable company would have left the incapabatial "DC" (and likely colo outside of Oregon).
    Oh, and: "last time multiple days were needed but this time we got it up within ca. 10 hours" isn't exactly bragging material either.

Anyway, while not being with Cloudf#%&!, no matter the tier, my intention was not to bash CF - but incapabatial being not noteworthy and/or known only for failures it seems natural to mention their serial victim CF which at least is well known.

But yes, all in all CF seems to be among the more reliable entities.

• @ehhthing said:
    If I were a company, I would trust my data much more with Cloudflare than I would with {insert MSP here}.

Cloud services aren't magic, but if you want to pitch it to the CEO or whatever, it might as well be.

Also CF's panel died for a solid 7 minutes, calm your tits.

but in that 7 min outage, he lost billions $$$..

Thanked by 1hackerman
  • emghemgh Member

Isn’t the whole point that some say that ”the cloud is magic” that you can still be up even when one datacenter is down?

Which, roughly, was exactly what occured here?

I don’t get this thread.

While the Cloudf#%&! fans obviously don't like my thread, it certainly seems appropriate to mention CF's new power outage as well as the fact that they still are in that crap "DC".

@chakraxzz said:
    but in that 7 min outage, he lost billions $$$..

Uhm, nope. (a) I lost nothing because I don't and won't use CF (other than their quad 1 NS as a fallback), and (b) nope again, you obviously failed to understand the term "high reliability" - which CF does sell - and the term "SLA" - which CF has to offer, and I mean north of 99.9%.

7 minutes outage, and due to staying with a crap DC that already had failed big time once, is not acceptable to CF's paying customers. Hence "Mr. CF" himself had to explain what had happened again. He knows that such an outage costs them many millions in lost customers and sales.

If I were some customer's CEO and some employee would propose to use CF's services I'd laugh him out of the room.

• LeviLevi Member

Yea… Highest demands on a free service tier. How is this called?

• emghemgh Member

@jsg said: If I were

being the keyword

@Levi said:
    Yea… Highest demands on a free service tier. How is this called?

The outage concerned all types of customers, paying and free.

• JasonMJasonM Member

even if 90% of DCs would go down out of their 250+ then also all sites will stay online and reachable, just bit of more hops/latency but it will not matter to average user. When Bunnycdn was started they did had something 10 PoPs.. same with other CDN providers including Cloudflare.

So until your Origin is down, or some database/worker/storage feature in specific DC goes down for a CDN provider, nothing to worry about.

Thanked by 3emgh Naomii pangkus

Amazing, how far Cloudf#%&! fans go - and bend their perception of reality! But don't worry, as I already said my main point is not bashing CF but rather that "DC" company in wokeistan.

• sorry i was the intern that made the change to production ><

Thanked by 1emgh
  • vpn2024vpn2024 Member
    edited April 12

They released a detail port-mortem that covers the work they are doing to ensure the control plane remains up during any future outage, this started on the first outage and is now being accelerated. Afaic this only resulted in disruption to backend operations and minor traffic flow issues as other edges picked up the slack. They are using this event to move to a multi-master style setup for the control plane.

Why are you even getting angry if you don't use them? Strange. Raging and you don't even know the colo they are in, and you don't use, and you're not affected.

Try shouting at the clouds (the ones in the sky)...

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited April 14

@vpn2024 said:
    They released a detail port-mortem that covers the work they are doing to ensure the control plane remains up during any future outage, this started on the first outage and is now being accelerated. Afaic this only resulted in disruption to backend operations and minor traffic flow issues as other edges picked up the slack. They are using this event to move to a multi-master style setup for the control plane.

Why are you even getting angry if you don't use them? Strange. Raging and you don't even know the colo they are in, and you don't use, and you're not affected.

Try shouting at the clouds (the ones in the sky)...

It would help us better understand him if we knew what affliction he has been diagnosed with. I mean, I have a shortlist for him after a small paragraph..

I'm not a psychologist, but surely there's something for those misused air quotes he excessively uses as a strong symptom.

At the very least, he should be in some weekly group meeting sorting out some very obvious issues.

Thanked by 1vpn2024
    edited April 25

@vpn2024 said:

[Stupid image]

Thanks for confirming that your "education" is based on reading comics. Sorry, but showing comics images to me simply says "an idiot attempts to communicate".

@TimboJones said:
    I'm not a psychologist, but surely there's something for those misused air quotes he excessively uses as a strong symptom.

At the very least, he should be in some weekly group meeting sorting out some very obvious issues.

That's what "education" by comics leads to. Gross lack of logic and ... oh wait, I'll stop. After all - and thank God! - I'm not you.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@jsg said: Amazing, how far Cloudf#%&! fans go - and bend their perception of reality! But don't worry, as I already said my main point is not bashing CF but rather that "DC" company in wokeistan.

Then why the title "Cloudf#%&! power outage yet again!" when it isn't Cloudflare...

@iKeyZ said:

@jsg said: Amazing, how far Cloudf#%&! fans go - and bend their perception of reality! But don't worry, as I already said my main point is not bashing CF but rather that "DC" company in wokeistan.

Then why the title "Cloudf#%&! power outage yet again!" when it isn't Cloudflare...

Because they, and not just small fries, were concerned by the outage. And because they, unlike some small fries, would have had the power to make sure that that DC company gets their shit together.

• @jsg said:

@iKeyZ said:

Because they, and not just small fries, were concerned by the outage. And because they, unlike some small fries, would have had the power to make sure that that DC company gets their shit together.

Why am I not surprised you don't understand the situation and instead go all dictator on it.

• blackblack Member

The lesson here is that you have to build in some redundancy yourself going forward.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • vpn2024vpn2024 Member
    edited April 26

@jsg said:

@iKeyZ said:

Do you even know which DC you're getting angry at yet?

You're such an angry clown.. Keep shouting at clouds

Thanked by 1Naomii

@vpn2024 said:

@jsg said:

@iKeyZ said:

Do you even know which DC you're getting angry at yet?

You're such an angry clown.. Keep shouting at clouds

The classical idiot move. If you have no arguments attack the person. That's one of the disadvantages of a comics "education".

Have a nice weekend

• @jsg said:
    The classical idiot move. If you have no arguments attack the person. That's one of the disadvantages of a comics "education".

Have a nice weekend

Ironic, since that is exactly what you did in the very first paragraph of your OP. whoosh SMH