Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New type of scam? Random company wants to buy domain
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New type of scam? Random company wants to buy domain

Usually I just mark as spam such emails, but I have a feeling that there might be something bigger behind the scenes. The domain itself is +10 years old and is being used for small SaaS (I am co-founder). Their company or at least the email being sent from is super unrelated to our business.

The domain name is quite random and we have trademark rights for that word. They can see that we are operating business and still ask such stupid questions. Feels like they are testing waters and want to perhaps attack us legally/try to register trademark in other countries?

Has anyone here received such emails or am I overthinking it?

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Probably more spam than scam...though if you reply, I'm sure they're going to send you the next form letter with a low offer. They didn't look at your site or do any research - just spamming contacts.

Did this come by way of your WHOIS info?

• @raindog308 said:
    Probably more spam than scam...though if you reply, I'm sure they're going to send you the next form letter with a low offer. They didn't look at your site or do any research - just spamming contacts.

Did this come by way of your WHOIS info?

I think you are most likely right. No, WHOIS is hidden. Most likely found direct email by name + surname and used Linkedin.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited April 9

Not sure if it's a scam attempt or not, but it's spam for sure.

They acquired that domain 2 years ago, so who knows, maybe they are interested in buying :smiley:

• JosephFJosephF Member

Respond from another email address, unrelated to your business, that your price for the domain is $25,000.

Thanked by 1homelabber
  • NanjaNanja Member
    edited April 9

I've ran into this one that is similar like this, but that was over 15 years ago.
    When I was first learning about domains.
    The scam probably changed by now.

When I ran into this scam, here is what happened.
    After you contact them, they tell you to go to this site to get a value of the domain.
    Once you pay to get the value of your domain, they will no longer contact you.

(It was a reputable site that estimates value of your domain, but idk how that guy benefited from scamming people to pay)

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

I've seen similar letter a few years ago. Doubt that it were the same entity behind, but I remember that they've written to a domain which has mail server configured but stub A/AAAA records (it was pointing to something like 0.0.0.0/127.0.0.1/::1 or similar). They said that they like the website (LOL) and would like to buy that domain expensively. After replying to them, no response was received ever, nor spam reached that mailbox...