Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please help me get the perfect VPS/VPN for my needs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Please help me get the perfect VPS/VPN for my needs

awoke9256awoke9256 Member

Greetings,
Im new here and need your help to host my plex server for around 100 people.

I have some issues with my current setup

Issues

1. Im self hosting everything.
  2. I use Njalla VPN since that allows to forward all ports.

Im from an Asian country and as you would expect, the speeds which im getting are not good especially the upload speeds since the VPN server is in Sweden.

Im looking for something which won't care about DMCA. No adult content, no spam, no scam/phishing/bs.

Looking for either

1. A VPN in Asia that allows to port forward 3 ports (more is also good lol). Port 80,443 and any other higher port.

OR

1. A VPS with suitable configuration which will be used as a wireguard server (a wireguard VPN) so that it forwards traffic to my machine. It should handle traffic of 100 users.

OR

1. Any suitable cheap (within 10-15USD) VPS which will have max storage(min 6TB HDD), 1Gbps link, decent CPU for transcoding(I will restrict transcoding as much as possible so as to not put a load on the server), no bandwidth limit, storage and networking speed should be dirt cheap and i should be able to scale up my storage without fucking up much of my budget.

Should ignore DMCA.

Please share your opinions on this and offers. Thanks

Comments

• 100 Plex users... Jesus dude

• sliixsliix Member
    edited April 8

For option 1, I'm not sure if there's any VPN providers left that allows port forwarding, at least not in Asia. Mullvad pulled their port forwarding iirc.

Option 2, for VPS you would get away with modest specs and just pay attention to the connection speed. I run Wireguard VPN on 128mb RAM NAT VPS for around 15-ish users (usually 10 active conenctions at a time). It's very light. The connection speed of the server is the only bottleneck.

Option 3, Not gonna get that 6TB price anywhere with that budget. There's 5TB by @host_c $12.5/quarter (assuming you managed to get one) but the CPU is only good for 1 transcode at a time.

IMO best and easiest is option 3 but you'll need to raise your budget to stream those "Linux ISOs" to your users. Happy to be proven wrong though.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@Calin @host_c is the go-to for affordable storage and my i m ignore DMCA.

You're asking way too much for $10-15/mo imho, especially for DMCA ignored plus 1G unmetered port and the kind of CPU use that 100 Plex users are going to consume. You need 2 VMs dedicated to their respective tasks or a decent dedicated server (something like the E3's with QuickSync).

• edited April 8

OP you are aware that you can use any kind of DMCA tolerant VPS to build your desired configuration yourself (either as VPN or simply as a reverse proxy)? That would probably be your best bet. The VPN/proxy VPS doesn't really need to have a lot of resources besides the required traffic obviously (which will be doubled as being some sort of proxy it'll receive and resend everything to it's final destination).

I'm not sure how Shinjiru deals with DMCA these days but a couple years ago they were pretty much bulletproof at least in regards to linking. Their Asia locations would be Malaysia, Hong Kong or Singapore i guess.

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

@crunchbits said: @Calin @host_c is the go-to for affordable storage and my i m ignore DMCA.

>

THanks for mention

For now unfortunately we don't have stock @awoke9256 after we go to colocation and we upgrade CPUs to e5-2687W v4 it's more better for this type of tasks

Regards

• sounds like you are looking for a unicorn. would you like some rainbows to go with it?

Thanked by 1theyCallMePotato
  • @cybertech said:
    sounds like you are looking for a unicorn. would you like some rainbows to go with it?

Lmao aaay i was not aware of the fact that what im asking is basically not possible

• Okay guys, please share me your options. What should i realistically aim for ? If i would want a VPS for wireguard, what configurations should i aim for ?

• @awoke9256 said:
    Okay guys, please share me your options. What should i realistically aim for ? If i would want a VPS for wireguard, what configurations should i aim for ?

I think it depends partially where you are at. There are some Russian services in more central russia that ignore DMCA I believe and depending where you are at in Asia connection wouldn't be too bad. @zgato and @davide might know of some hosts there. Ive heard them mention a few in Russia before. Idk about the price tho.

• NanjaNanja Member

@awoke9256 said:
    Okay guys, please share me your options. What should i realistically aim for ? If i would want a VPS for wireguard, what configurations should i aim for ?

Nyr's Wiregaurd script

This works very good for me... install/setup wireguard easy, less than a minute on any VPS.

Good luck with DMCA stuff though.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR
    edited April 8

Last time I used GoldenFrog's VyprVPN service, if you turned the "firewall" off in the control panel, all ports were forwarded. IP changed each time you disconnected, but while connected, you are the only one using that IP.

They have 10+ PoPs in Asia.

@dahartigan said:
    100 Plex users... Jesus dude

100 transcoding Plex users...

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @kevinds said:

@dahartigan said:
    100 Plex users... Jesus dude

100 transcoding Plex users...

No i will be turning off transcoding for all users.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 8

@awoke9256 said:

Get a Contabo VPS from Singapore or Tokyo or Australia, it comes with plenty of storage and CPU power and unmetered fair use network. (You might get throttled to 100 Mbps for rest of the month if you use more than 32TB upload per month)

Then host SMB or NFS share on it, then buy 3€ VPS from BuyVM Lux or some Romanian host which is DMCA ignored, connect to the SMB / NFS share with it and mount it as local network drive. Install qBittorrent on it, and make it use the mounted drive.

This way you have plex services on local Asia machine, and the DMCA ignored cheap downloader VPS on Europe under separate IP.

The obvious bottleneck is the qBittorrent downloading directly to your Asia VPS, but incoming bandwidth is generally free for them, and while the writing speeds might be slow, its not that bad since plex read operations are local anyway, and you can probly wait 15 mins more per episode download anyway at that price. it should still easily max out 100 Mbps upload and/or 10MB/s write speed from EU to your Asia machine.

Thanked by 1MateiSR
  • @kevinds said:
    Last time I used GoldenFrog's VyprVPN service, if you turned the "firewall" off in the control panel, all ports were forwarded. IP changed each time you disconnected, but while connected, you are the only one using that IP.

Did a quick search on reddit. Most people hate it due to copyright notices

@awoke9256 said:

@kevinds said:

Did a quick search on reddit. Most people hate it due to copyright notices

There was employee scandal with GoldenFrog/Giganews back in the day.

https://freedomhacker.net/giganews-claimed-to-be-secret-fbi-operation/
    https://cryptome.org/2014/09/giganews-fbi.htm

They lost all reputation back then for compromising all customer data to FBI operations directly.

TorGuard even made a satire comic about them back then with FBI manning the staff helpdesk area of VyperVPN.

@stefeman said:

They lost all reputation back then for compromising all customer data to FBI operations directly.

These operations, companies run by the FBI and similar LEOs, have never run services long term though.. They do their operations and shutdown the service.

Otherwise, does it matter?

I suppose it would be good to know why OP needs this service.. To get around CGNAT for example, it won't matter who logs the stuff, the goal is to get open IPv4 ports.

• zGatozGato Member

@BruhGamer12 said:

@awoke9256 said:

might know of some hosts there. Ive heard them mention a few in Russia before. Idk about the price tho.

Impossible at that price range, he's asking waaaay to much for his budget.

@kevinds said:

@stefeman said:

These operations, companies run by the FBI and similar LEOs, have never run services long term though.. They do their operations and shutdown the service.

I suppose it would be good to know why OP needs this service.. To get around CGNAT for example, it won't matter who logs the stuff, the goal is to get open IPv4 ports.

He can use free Cloudflared tunnels without caching or DDNS with port forwarding on high ports so CGNAT is not an issue.

Issue is DMCA Ignored + a lot of upload bandwidth to keep the ratio on trackers + Asia location.

edited April 8

@stefeman said:
    Issue is DMCA Ignored + a lot of upload bandwidth to keep the ratio on trackers + Asia location.

I missed the torrents part then.. 100 plex users I did see..

Where did OP say they were torrenting?

edited April 8

@kevinds said:

@stefeman said:

I missed the torrents part then.. 100 plex users I did see..

Where did OP say they were torrenting?

You think they all watch Big Buck Bunny on loop 24/7 from his Plex? Use your intelligence, he wants DMCA Ignored location or VPN in such place, so obviously he torrents the content.

@stefeman said:
    You think they all watch Big Buck Bunny on loop 24/7 from his Plex? Use your intelligence, he wants DMCA Ignored location or VPN in such place, so obviously he torrents the content.

I try not to assume things..

Who doesn't use newsgroups to get content...

I thought the DMCA ignored part was for the Plex server, as stated..

• @zGato said:

@BruhGamer12 said:

@awoke9256 said:

might know of some hosts there. Ive heard them mention a few in Russia before. Idk about the price tho.

Impossible at that price range, he's asking waaaay to much for his budget.

What should be my price range ?

• @kevinds said:

@stefeman said:

You are spot on. Its CGNAT + I dont want to expose my real IP

• @stefeman said:

@kevinds said:

@stefeman said:

He can use free Cloudflared tunnels without caching or DDNS with port forwarding on high ports so CGNAT is not an issue.

Did a tonne of research on it. The issue is not caching, its proxying. Cloudflare will not allow proxying my video streams traffic to their network. They will ban me once i come to notice.

• zGatozGato Member

@awoke9256 said:

@stefeman said:

@kevinds said:

@stefeman said:

Did a tonne of research on it. The issue is not caching, its proxying. Cloudflare will not allow proxying my video streams traffic to their network. They will ban me once i come to notice.

This means you're most likely using over 50-100TB in their network.
    Cloudflare Tunnels/Cloudflare CDN is not for streaming, they have their own apps for that which are, obviously, more expensive.

@awoke9256 said:

@kevinds said:

@stefeman said:

I dont want to expose my real IP

Yeah sure, I wonder why. /s

Anyway, the reason is same either way, you need DMCA ignored with high bandwidth. it will cost a lot, so either divide the downloader and the media server, or be prepared to pay more for the same in Asia.

edited April 8

@awoke9256 said:

@stefeman said:

@kevinds said:

@stefeman said:

They changed their ToS regarding that lately, it only applied on free plans before, and only if you cache. generally they don't care.

I use free plan with tunnels, works perfectly, no issues ever. Generally 1-5 TB/m

You either have to use services like these "wrongly", or pay more. With your budget, there's no other options anyway.

• @stefeman said:

@awoke9256 said:

@kevinds said:

@stefeman said:

I dont want to expose my real IP

Yeah sure, I wonder why. /s

Anyway, the reason is same either way, you need DMCA ignored with high bandwidth. it will cost a lot, so either divide the downloader and the media server, or be prepared to pay more for the same in Asia.

Well i guess i'll have to ditch my plans but i will surely try tunnels.

• @stefeman said:

@awoke9256 said:

@stefeman said:

@kevinds said:

@stefeman said:

They changed their ToS regarding that lately, it only applied on free plans before, and only if you cache. generally they don't care.

I use free plan with tunnels, works perfectly, no issues ever. Generally 1-5 TB/m

You either have to use services like these "wrongly", or pay more. With your budget, there's no other options anyway.

I agree. I tried checking ihostart but seems that plans are not available