Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSA: Zilore DNS service ends 14th of July 2024
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PSA: Zilore DNS service ends 14th of July 2024

josephbjosephb Member

In case anyone uses Zilore for DNS and missed the email announcement.

Please be informed that the Zilore DNS service will be completely discontinued on July 14,
2024. Until 14 July 2024, the service will be provided at no additional charge. Users who 
have annual tariffs will be recalculated and will be refunded any unused funds.

This decision was very difficult for us, since 2012, we have been providing services to tens
of thousands of users around the world, and we have been doing our best to provide a
stable, reliable and functional platform. Unfortunately, in the current conditions of
low-margin business and the team's focus on other projects, we will not be able to
continue to pay proper attention without compromising the quality of the product. 
Therefore, we have made such a difficult decision, and we sincerely hope for your
understanding.

We apologize for wasting your time looking for another solution and transferring data.

You are welcome to use the functionality to export data in BIND format, except for 
GEO/Failover records (Select domain - Settings - Export).
Zilore Team
www.zilore.com
Thanked by 1nullnothere

Comments

• Was a good service, wish them the best.

• Sad to see them shut down. They are/were a good provider and it is becoming increasingly difficult to have diversity in DNS (outside of CF and the big cloud providers).

I hope they continue to keep their monitoring service running.

• JosephFJosephF Member

How big or popular a provider was Zilore?

• wotetiwoteti Member

I almost used them, they have good features. Sadly, not enough reputation/internet presence so I doubted my decision and went with the safe choice instead (aws).

DNS is one of those things that's hard to make redundant due to how registrars work, so a single vendor has to do it on our behalf.

Wish them the best of luck, making money is hard.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

for those affected, feel free to migrate to Rage4, once the NS history will be validated you will receive additional 2 months free (3 in total including our free trial period)

• JosephFJosephF Member

@woteti said:

DNS is one of those things that's hard to make redundant due to how registrars work, so a single vendor has to do it on our behalf.

Why can't you use multiple providers for DNS?

• shruubshruub Member

A free alternative with less features but seemingly comparable speed would be desec.io if anyone wants to switch.

• kaitkait Member

Do people pay for services like that?

• shruubshruub Member

@kait said:
    Do people pay for services like that?

Well Geodns or Failover is usually something you pay for, one way or another.

• kaitkait Member

@shruub said: Well Geodns or Failover is usually something you pay for, one way or another.

Hmm, already made it so I can programatically configure CoreDNS :wink: so who knows.

• shruubshruub Member

@kait said:

@shruub said: Well Geodns or Failover is usually something you pay for, one way or another.

Hmm, already made it so I can programatically configure CoreDNS :wink: so who knows.

¯_(ツ)_/¯ then it's only the servers hosting the dns servers :)

• kaitkait Member

@shruub said: ¯(ツ)/¯ then it's only the servers hosting the dns servers :)

And a good panel to configure everything, but yeah, might be cool. What is the average industry price?

• shruubshruub Member

@kait said:

@shruub said: ¯(ツ)/¯ then it's only the servers hosting the dns servers :)

And a good panel to configure everything, but yeah, might be cool.

Oh, yeah.

What is the average industry price?

Looking at CloudNS, it's around 3-6$/month. But they are probably one of the cheapest around, considering the fee.

• kaitkait Member

@shruub said: Looking at CloudNS, it's around 3-6$/month. But they are probably one of the cheapest around, considering the fee.

Hmm, sounds nice, whats the minimum number of locations you would say?

• JosephFJosephF Member

What did Zilore provide more than you can get from CloudFlare or HE.net?

• shruubshruub Member

@kait said:

@shruub said: Looking at CloudNS, it's around 3-6$/month. But they are probably one of the cheapest around, considering the fee.

I'd say you can get away with 5 (2US,2EU,1APAC) or 3 (1 for every location) if you're being really lowend. Of course you need to consider your potential visitors (I just see it from a western perspective). Of course, the more, the better, you could very well scale to 10+ if you want to have good speeds world wide. But well, if you have guns-and-suvs.us, you might want 4/5 servers in the US, while kangaroo-fightclub.au might benefit from 3/4 servers in Australia.

• kaitkait Member

@shruub said:

@kait said:

I'd say you can get away with 5 (2US,2EU,1APAC) or 3 (1 for every location) if you're being really lowend. Of course you need to consider your potential visitors (I just see it from a western perspective). Of course, the more, the better, you could very well scale to 10+ if you want to have good speeds world wide. But well, if you have guns-and-suvs.us, you might want 4/5 servers in the US, while kangaroo-fightclub.au might benefit from 3/4 servers in Australia.

Yeah, ty for the insight. 1 per continent and then expand where needed.

Thanked by 1shruub
  • shruubshruub Member

@kait said:

@shruub said:

@kait said:

Yeah, ty for the insight. 1 per continent and then expand where needed.

Pretty much. iirc it's a little hard for africa because they don't have great peering agreements (but that could have changed.)

• wotetiwoteti Member

@JosephF said:

@woteti said:

Why can't you use multiple providers for DNS?

Hard, not impossible.
    If you use geodns, keeping that info in sync between multiple providers is no trivial work.
    Let's say you use 2 providers. If one of your providers go down, registrar will round robin half your users (who don't have name resolution info cached) to the disrupted provider until you step in manually. Even then, the correction will take time to propagate. There are arguments to be made to just use a single provider that does not go down (has redundancy on top of redundancy).
    In most cases, cache invalidation gets in the way. That's why it's called one of the hardest problem in computer science. And that's referring to cache you control, don't get me started on cache you don't.