Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Impact of CPU Score? Does CPU Score important?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Impact of CPU Score? Does CPU Score important?

tothosttothost Member, Patron Provider

I want to know more about the practical benefits of using CPU allocation and what it brings.

Comments

• Doesn't matter for LET users, we buy servers to idle and run YABS.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited April 4

@tothost said:
    I want to know more about the practical benefits of using CPU allocation and what it brings.

computing power and memory speed are two most important factors for the VPS in my opinion.

GB6 single core score just reflects the computing power for that execution thread of the VPS.

1 single core Ryzen 7950x >>>> typical four Xeon E5-2696 cores

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    ---------------------------------
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     |  2905
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/5585049

Refer to GB6 for 8 vCores Xeon E5-2696 v4 VPS
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/5087555

Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     |  607
    Multi Core      | 3321

• pangkuspangkus Member

@dev_vps said:

@tothost said:

computing power and memory speed are two most important factors for the VPS in my opinion.

GB6 single core score just reflects the computing power for that execution thread of the VPS.

1 single core Ryzen 7950x >>>> typical 4 Xeon cores

Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     |  2905

So 2 or more Ryzen vcpu better than ivy bridge?

• You should read this topic and you will understand more.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 4

Depends 100% on what you do.

In our experience, actually very very few tasks require high end CPU, and people vastly over estimate their CPU and/or RAM bandwidth requirements by a huge margin.

Hell, we still have low power 15year old CPUs in production, and none of the users are dissatisfied with the CPU/RAM performance as the application is all about I/O. CPU still sits like 90% idle on average.

Even if you run a database, CPU might not be the #1 factor, but how much RAM and what's the storage IOPS.

Ok let's say you run a streaming service, all those concurrent streams surely need a lot of oomph? Wrong again, if there's no transcoding taking place, it's just plain ol' datatransfer threads.

Oh, SCP transfers? Surely any ol' CPU will do that at linerate, right? Wrong. Here you actually need performance because the default ciphers are that heavy these days, but even then you can use a perfectly safe but faster cipher -- It's just that the default pick is the strongest, and the strongest ciphers i would believe is looking to be quantum safe with assumption you are running it 20 years in the future.

It is all about your particular needs.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited April 4

@pangkus said:

@dev_vps said:

@tothost said:

1 single core Ryzen 7950x >>>> typical 4 Xeon cores

Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     |  2905

So 2 or more Ryzen vcpu better than ivy bridge?

Check the multi core GB6 score for my VPS
    https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/5585049

For 2 vCore VPS, refer to GB6 score

Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 2698
    Multi Core      | 5200
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/5584196

Now, do the math.

— I teach AP calculus as volunteer work

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited April 4

@PulsedMedia said:

In our experience, actually very very few tasks require high end CPU, and people vastly over estimate their CPU and/or RAM bandwidth requirements by a huge margin.

It is all about your particular needs.

Yes, you are 100% correct.

For FTP, file transfer, and other “activities” that require files download, upload or share, it does not need much computing power.

I have a storage VPS with Xeon Gold 6130 (2 vCores) running Windows Server 2022, still cpu usage is under 20% when files are being saved or uploaded using WinSCP.

However, for hosting web sites, database server, using as RDP or simply multiple tasking …. cpu with higher computing power is preferred.

All comes down to the use cases.

Ask yourself , for the same cost of $15 per year , VPS with same memory and storage kind, would you prefer cpu with GB6 score of 700 or 2500.

My vote is for cpu vCore with better computing power and that is reflected in GB6 score

— I am a mathematician and data engineer and programming in Windows since 1993

Thanked by 1host_c

@dev_vps said: Ask yourself , for the same cost of $15 per year , VPS with same memory and storage kind, would you prefer cpu with GB6 score of 700 or 2500.

Ask yourself, for the same price would you prefer a base model 3-series BMW, or with the biggest engine of the 3-series?

Ofc, anything, if everything else is identical but one spec is better on another, you pick that one.

So your point being? Better product wins?

Ask yourself this, an actual exchange, same 15€ a month, one comes with 200GB storage and say that GB6 2500 CPU, and another comes with 8TB of storage but GB6 700 CPU and you are going to use it for storage -- which one do you pick?

CPU performance != Free like you imply. CPUs cost money too, the platform costs money.
    It's always a trade off.

Infact, CPUs depreciate really fast these days.
    To go from GB6 total score of ~5000 (i5-8500t) to ~7400 (i5-12500t) multiplies the base node cost by almost 5x in our MD series, and while the i5-8500t system barely depreciates on the base node, the i5-12500t is expected to loose 75% of it's value over 3years.

Now we got 2 systems:
    i5-8500t vs i5-12500t let's presume everything else is the same, both 64G RAM and 2TB NVMe, same 1Gbps Network.

The i5-8500t would be about 30€ per month
    The i5-12500t would be about 60€ per month (many times higher power consumption! and more expensive HW)

That's 2x the monthly price for "only" ~50% CPU performance, while all the other specs remain the same. It would be obviously better to get 2x i5-8500t nodes and split the load among them.

We got a few like that coming, initial pricing will be around 75€ a month, not 60€, so actually 2.5X ...

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited April 4

@PulsedMedia said:

@dev_vps said: Ask yourself , for the same cost of $15 per year , VPS with same memory and storage kind, would you prefer cpu with GB6 score of 700 or 2500.

Ask yourself, for the same price would you prefer a base model 3-series BMW, or with the biggest engine of the 3-series?

Ofc, anything, if everything else is identical but one spec is better on another, you pick that one.

I drive Tesla that is cheaper than Acura sedan.

As I customer, I have the choice to pick that is most value in my use case scenari.

For the provider, it could be market the offers based on the hardware inventory provider has.

I understand thar hosting market has cut throat competition and super saturated. The hardware is getting outdated sooner before provider could recoup the cost (and profit)

Simple economics.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@PulsedMedia said:

Infact, CPUs depreciate really fast these days.

well said.
    Totally agree 100%

• JoseDieguezJoseDieguez Member
    edited April 4

In our experience, actually most modern websites, specially Wordpress websites benefits of the high end CPU, and people vastly underestimate their CPU and/or RAM bandwidth requirements because of lies of providers using very old hardware.

Hell, we still see low power 15year old CPUs in production, and most of the poor users have slow websites without them even knowing it, because of that. . just looking at "hey my 256cores are at 90% idle" is a wrong way of seeing things, while all wordpress websites, and other single-core processes are running slow as hell.

In Most cases, CPU will be the #1 or #2 factor of how fast your queries are going to run. consering RAM and IOPS at the same level, CPU would make wonders for a high traffic website.

Ok let's say you run simple FTP server, or you just server 1 PNG image to just 1 visitor per day, then you don't need a good CPU.

I know there are still many providers who have 100s if not 1000s of very OLD Intel processors, and they need to still milking the cow.

It is all about your particular needs, and not the needs of your hosting provider!

Thanked by 1pbx

@JoseDieguez said:

In our experience, actually most modern websites, specially Wordpress websites benefits of the high end CPU, and people vastly underestimate their CPU and/or RAM bandwidth requirements because of lies of providers using very old hardware.

Hell, we still see low power 15year old CPUs in production, and most of the poor users have slow websites without them even knowing it, because of that. . just looking at "hey my 256cores are at 90% idle" is a wrong way of seeing things, while all wordpress websites, and other single-core processes are running slow as hell.

In Most cases, CPU will be the #1 or #2 factor of how fast your queries are going to run. consering RAM and IOPS at the same level, CPU would make wonders for a high traffic website.

Ok let's say you run simple FTP server, or you just server 1 PNG image to just 1 visitor per day, then you don't need a good CPU.

I know there are still many providers who have 100s if not 1000s of very OLD Intel processors, and they need to still milking the cow.

It is all about your particular needs, and not the needs of your hosting provider!

lol, good one!

Thanked by 1JoseDieguez
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited April 4

@PulsedMedia said:

Now we got 2 systems:
    i5-8500t vs i5-12500t let's presume everything else is the same, both 64G RAM and 2TB NVMe, same 1Gbps Network.

The i5-8500t would be about 30€ per month
    The i5-12500t would be about 60€ per month (many times higher power consumption! and more expensive HW)

GB6 score for Core i5-8500T

Single Core 1238
    Multi-Core  4609

A VPS with 2 dedicated Ryzen 7950x cores OR 4 vCores with 50% fair usage permitted will have more computing power.

The GB6 score for my VPS

Single Core 2905
    Multi-Core  11336

Even with 40% average fair usage and few bursts upto 80% …. well you can do the math

• tra10000tra10000 Member

Those who raise children know that buy a dress 2 sizes bigger and you can wear it next year.

We always want better when buying VPS. But is this necessary?

It's the same with the CPU. It doesn't matter if you use E3, E5, Epyc or Ryzen if you don't need it.

For a low-end website access speed, better network and better disk are more important than CPU.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@tra10000 said:
    Those who raise children know that buy a dress 2 sizes bigger and you can wear it next year.

All comes down to, as stated earlier, your use case.

For example, database server will greatly benefit with faster cpu.

Simple static site or a ftp server will not.

• MoopahMoopah Member

For YABS workloads for example, a dedicated server or VDS is important, a VPS is simply insufficient.

Everything comes down to use case.

@dev_vps said:

@tra10000 said:

All comes down to, as stated earlier, your use case.

For example, database server will greatly benefit with faster cpu.

Simple static site or a ftp server will not.

It depends on server optimization rather than use case.

In good configuration Disk and network speed are more important than CPU.

Wordpress sites are often difficult. But it is usually not the real visitor who forces this. They are spam bots that make xmlrpc or login attempts.

If you don't configure this correctly you are looking for a good CPU. It's not necessary.

I'm taking it up another level. Even the amount of RAM is more important than the CPU :)

• For me, I have a target cost, and I'll find anything that performs better for that cost price, so ive gone from 2590 > 6130 > 7443P > 5900X > 5950X > 7950X all at roughly the same cost for my needs. thats a win in my books until something runs better than 7950X comes along for the same price :)

• kendkend Member

@dev_vps said:

The GB6 score for my VPS

Single Core 2905
    Multi-Core  11336

Mind to share which provider is this, if it's a 4 core 7950x?

• lukast__lukast__ Member
    edited April 4

@kend said: Mind to share which provider is this, if it's a 4 core 7950x?

I'm also interested what provider it is, but it's a 6 core vm (the geekbench link was posted earlier in this thread). And the vm has only 4GB memory.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited April 4

@kend said:

@dev_vps said:

The GB6 score for my VPS

Single Core 2905
    Multi-Core  11336

This is a six core 7950x VPS.
    Other details I am sending you in a DM.

$75 per year

Thanked by 1kend
  • lukast__lukast__ Member

@dev_vps said: $75 per year

That's really cheap. How is the steal?

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited April 4

@lukast__ said:

@dev_vps said: $75 per year

That's really cheap. How is the steal?

I assume average fair usage of 30-35% of cpu vCores.

Using Windows Server 2022 OS as developer machine.

@dev_vps said:

@kend said:

@dev_vps said:

The GB6 score for my VPS

Single Core 2905
    Multi-Core  11336

$75 per year

Isn't this Hostcram @Shakib?

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited April 4

@tra10000 said:

@dev_vps said:

@kend said:

@dev_vps said:

The GB6 score for my VPS

Single Core 2905
    Multi-Core  11336

$75 per year

Hostcram is Ryzen 7700, not 7950x
    I highly recommend his VPS as well

@Shakib

Thanked by 1Shakib

@davide What do you think about this topic. Is CPU important?

• davidedavide Member

@tra10000 said:
    @davide What do you think about this topic. Is CPU important?

Yes very.

Thanked by 2tra10000 dev_vps
  • host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

Very nice info here :+1:

I will just add 1 thing, if I would be a customer and have to choose a few aspects to narrow down thru the offers that are a few USD apart, I would choose a CPU ( regardless of MHz ) that has the Highest Memory Bandwidth of the bunch.

But as most wrote here, first on the list is "what do I want to do whit my VPS?"

• ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

@dev_vps said:

@tra10000 said:

@dev_vps said:

@kend said:

@dev_vps said:

The GB6 score for my VPS

Single Core 2905
    Multi-Core  11336

$75 per year

@Shakib

We also have Ryzen 7900 now. <3

Thanked by 1kend
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@Shakib said:

@dev_vps said:

@tra10000 said:

@dev_vps said:

@kend said:

@dev_vps said:

The GB6 score for my VPS

Single Core 2905
    Multi-Core  11336

$75 per year

@Shakib

We also have Ryzen 7900 now. <3

That is great.
    Congratulations on your business expansion.

👍🏼👍🏼

Thanked by 1Shakib