Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best use of a NAT VPS with limited ports?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best use of a NAT VPS with limited ports?

UchihaUchiha Member

I have never used a NAT VPS but have heard about it many times. Some providers sell them for a very cheap price, but they usually don't provide a dedicated IPv4 address with it, only a shared IPv4 with limited ports.

Also, I've heard that ports such as 80 and 443 cannot be used with shared IPv4 (although I might be wrong), and the whole thing involves port forwarding, like if someone wants to use port 8080, they forward it from 25000 -> 8080.

So, here are my questions:

• Is it possible to use control panels such as Cpanel or DA with these shared IPv4 NAT VPS?
  • Why do people use this type of VPS? (What are the use cases?)
  • As it's very cheap, why isn't everyone selling it? I've seen a limited number of sellers of NAT VPS.
  • Still thinking...

Comments

• @Uchiha said:
    I have never used a NAT VPS but have heard about it many times. Some providers sell them for a very cheap price, but they usually don't provide a dedicated IPv4 address with it, only a shared IPv4 with limited ports.

Also, I've heard that ports such as 80 and 443 cannot be used with shared IPv4 (although I might be wrong), and the whole thing involves port forwarding, like if someone wants to use port 8080, they forward it from 25000 -> 8080.

• Is it possible to use control panels such as Cpanel or DA with these shared IPv4 NAT VPS?

usually cheapskates/lowendpeople use these to save some $. can use for vpn, website host, many things that you use normal vps for that need only few ports.

• As it's very cheap, why isn't everyone selling it? I've seen a limited number of sellers of NAT VPS.

People no want to use as no dedicated personnel ipv4, if ipv4 gets block because someone else on server cause problem then your site/service will be blocked too

too much hassle to set up as limited set of ports - normal 20, usually better to pay more and get own ipv4

• sliixsliix Member
    edited April 3

Answers:

• unsure
    • cheap af boi
    • because it's easier and more profitable to sell standard VPS instead (probably)

My use cases:

• storage VPS
    • personal VPN
    • host small static website (usually the VPS panel will allow 80/443 redirection based on domain)
    Thanked by 1shruub
  • PorlamPorlam Member

My use cases:

• Storage(backup) VPS
    • Small WireGuard VPN
    • Software debugging
    • IPv4 gateway for IPv6 only VPS
  • shruubshruub Member

People here lie about their usecases, it's just for idling.
    I mainly use mine for testing and because I'm poor.
    As sliix said, yeah, iirc it's kind of hard to maintain a natvps and seemingly easier to sell normal vps servers.

• totototototo Member

@Uchiha said:

Despite explanations in emails from the provider and on FAQ pages, many people still open tickets like "Cannot connect to SSH port (22)" or make claims like "They are scammers!", leading to excessively high support costs.

• dhmodhmo Member

@Uchiha said:

• Still thinking...

I think NAT VPS is used for VPN or Website (With cloudflare tunnel) or host Discord Bots e.g
    I recommend to use VPS have dedi IPv4 if you wanna host DA, CP e.g

• shruubshruub Member

@tototo said:

@Uchiha said:

Despite explanations in emails from the provider and on FAQ pages, many people still open tickets like "Cannot connect to SSH port (22)" or make claims like "They are scammers!", leading to excessively high support costs.

Oh my god. I bet. "This digitalocean guide I followed said I could access nginx on port 80, but I tried and it didn't work! I think they are deadpooling, I will leave a bad trustpilot and google review and open 3 tickets.

• suyadi92suyadi92 Member

Yes. I use tinycp for all my nat vps.

For web apps development/testing

I don't know, maybe it's not worth the hassle of setting up the node

• UchihaUchiha Member

@suyadi92 said: Yes. I use tinycp for all my nat vps.

nice.

Is it possible to host Nextcloud on these NAT VPS?

• suyadi92suyadi92 Member
    edited April 3

@Uchiha said:

Dunno tbh, sorry
    I only have few of low-end nat vps atmo.

• Carlin0Carlin0 Member

Idling :D

• ZoobDudeZoobDude Member

@Uchiha said:

@suyadi92 said: Yes. I use tinycp for all my nat vps.

nice.

Yes would be possible, just use something like cloudflare tunnels to make it reachable.

• bdspicebdspice Member

my use case is only personal vpn. but some people maybe use it for dns server also.