Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DMCA questions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DMCA questions

I received a DMCA complaint forwarded by Vultr claiming that an image belonged to them, but the image had been removed a month ago when the complaint was first received.
I responded to the hosting provider 15 minutes after receiving the second complaint that the image had been deleted.
I didn't receive any reply after that until I found out this morning that the instance was temporarily suspended.
They said I should change the URL to 404 as well.
I think it's a bit unreasonable. What if that picture is used on the homepage?
What is your process after receiving a DMCA complaint?

Comments

• niranjanniranjan Member

ignore it.

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

Hello @hiphiphip0 if you are interested in Ignore DMCA hosts , check our deals > https://panel.ihostart.com/index.php?rp=/store/vps-kvm-ssd we ignore all DMCA reports and we don't make you website to stop work :)

Regards,
    Calin

• NanjaNanja Member

I skimmed over a discussion recently.... about Vultr claiming rights to all your content in the ToS. I didn't read further, but one person made it sound like an error. Big error.

• ehhthingehhthing Member

Tell vultr what you did to resolve it, they should be fine with this.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@hiphiphip0 said: I received a DMCA complaint forwarded by Vultr claiming that an image belonged to them, but the image had been removed a month ago when the complaint was first received.
    I didn't receive any reply after that until I found out this morning that the instance was temporarily suspended.
    They said I should change the URL to 404 as well.

Do you return HTTP status code 200 for pages that are deleted/not found? Not a good idea due to similar kind of automation.

Thanked by 1hiphiphip0
  • @tentor said:
    Do you return HTTP status code 200 for pages that are deleted/not found? Not a good idea due to similar kind of automation.

I didn't delete the page, I deleted the image and set the page to draft, purged the image from CDN. Then I informed the client, the client re-uploaded another image instead & published.

You reminded me that they may actually be using some automated tools to monitor the progress of removals.

I just received a reply from Vultr. They are closing the ticket and it seems to be resolved.