Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your best and worst hosting experiences
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your best and worst hosting experiences

HAMSWHAMSW Member

Hi there,

Share the best and worst hosting experiences you've ever had in terms of reliability, value, performance, support, features, etc.

Which providers were you glad you chose for production and would vouche for?

Which providers had you feeling like punching through your screen?

You're welcome to share multiple experiences including lowend and highend and for each different type of hosting i.e. shared, vps, dedicated, cloud, etc.

Optional : mention that one provider that doesn't provide the most value yet you're totally fine for paying them extra because you're simply loyal to them (or for a similar reason)

Would seriously enjoy reading and learning from your experiences.

Comments

• eriseris Member

Best: Hetzner is fine, serverius.net, i3d all good experiences with

Worst: Boomer.host
    Veriso after their price increases +21 euro for a domain :'(

Thanked by 1HAMSW
  • WickedWicked Member

Worst: hazi.ro

Thanked by 1HAMSW
  • GhtGht Member
    edited April 2

If you want to see who is worst and best just lookup their backlinks , most of sellers here work just because of LET Traffic. Most of sellers here have 0 organic traffic , if they dont pay taxes on LET they are dead , there are some good hosters with good rep here like BuyShared , they are serious and have the best services. And outside LET you have very mutch good Providers that they rreally care about clients.

Thanked by 1HAMSW
  • HAMSWHAMSW Member

@Ght said:
    If you want to see who is worst and best just lookup their backlinks , most of sellers here work just because of LET Traffic. Most of sellers here have 0 organic traffic , if they dont pay taxes on LET they are dead , there are some good hosters with good rep here like BuyShared , they are serious and have the best services. And outside LET you have very mutch good Providers that they rreally care about clients.

Well, you can be right but provide examples and mention providers by name (especially the ones you consider good and aren't here on LET).

That'll be really helpful :smile:

Thanked by 1host_c
  • matey0matey0 Member

@Ght said: If you want to see who is worst and best just lookup their backlinks , most of sellers here work just because of LET Traffic. Most of sellers here have 0 organic traffic , if they dont pay taxes on LET they are dead

And how is that a metric for quality?
    SEO is a battlefield and it's very difficult for startups to compete for organic traffic.
    In my experience, the providers that have a bunch of auto-generated sales pages titled "[niche] VPS" or "Best VPS for [niche]" usually have some of the worst service.

As an example, pq.hosting ranks first for "vps in frankfurt" in Google for me. They are awful and have a bunch of spammy SEO pages. Hetzner isn't even on the first page.

Thanked by 1HAMSW
  • HAMSWHAMSW Member

@matey0 said:

@Ght said: If you want to see who is worst and best just lookup their backlinks , most of sellers here work just because of LET Traffic. Most of sellers here have 0 organic traffic , if they dont pay taxes on LET they are dead

And how is that a metric for quality?
    SEO is a battlefield and it's very difficult for startups to compete for organic traffic.
    In my experience, the providers that have a bunch of auto-generated sales pages titled "[niche] VPS" or "Best VPS for [niche]" usually have some of the worst service.

As an example, pq.hosting ranks first for "vps in frankfurt" in Google for me. They are awful and have a bunch of spammy SEO pages. Hetzner isn't even on the first page.

Seconding this and would like to add, Hetzner really needs a website revamp/redesign (and they're probably a couple of years late on that)

• davidedavide Member

Just look at what kind of ticket I just opened at Aéza :D

Thanked by 1HAMSW
  • nocloudnocloud Member

I host all my sites on Geocities! there will never be another host with such advanced features. Plain text, 256 colors to choose from and even HTML, the world is your oyster.

• suparelsuparel Member

Best : spartanhost.org nfoservers.com javapipe.com great support good ddos protection
    worst: hostclean.ro siteground clausweb

Thanked by 1HAMSW
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I think it was HostMyBytes that got my one and only chargeback ever because the provider was very blatant about "ha ha charge me back" when he ran away. So I did.

I've generally had great experiences with providers here. There have been exceptions...

@cociu was a disaster.

Kimsufi was a pain because when I used them, the connectivity to CONUS was horrible. I might have had a better experience if I lived in the EU.

I (or rather @jbiloh) was technically a DediPath customer when they abruptly shut down because we used some of their VMs for tuts and videos so I guess by definition that was a bad experience, though we only used them intermittently.

Ultraseedbox (not a provider here) shit the bed multiple times. They even forgot to bill me periodically. I guess that wasn't entirely bad because between the free months they gave out due to their problems and the months they got too confused to send out invoices, it was essentially a free service.

What can I say...I tend to go with hosts that participate here and get good comments.

@Ght said: Most of sellers here have 0 organic traffic , if they dont pay taxes on LET they are dead

I see ads for lots of hosts here on other sites as well, Reddit, etc.

I mean, yeah, if you google for "VPS" you're going to see OVH, DO, etc. Though if you search for "cheap VPS," LowEndBox is the first non-sponsored result for me.

But really, these kind of keywords are very expensive and marketing to smaller, focused audiences is a lot more efficient. I see the same phenomenon in other industries/interests...the ads and links you see on small forums is completely different than what you see on the general web.

Thanked by 2host_c HAMSW
  • HAMSWHAMSW Member

@davide said:
    Just look at what kind of ticket I just opened at Aéza :D

Your ticket is on point and their April fool's is pretty cool.

Your Falkon's UI hurts my eyes tho. whispers in thorium

• HAMSWHAMSW Member

@nocloud said:
    I host all my sites on Geocities! there will never be another host with such advanced features. Plain text, 256 colors to choose from and even HTML, the world is your oyster.

RIP 2019, won't will be missed

Thanked by 2nocloud host_c
  • JosephFJosephF Member

@HAMSW said:

@nocloud said:

2019? Geocities deadpooled in 2009.

• HAMSWHAMSW Member

@suparel said:
    Best : spartanhost.org nfoservers.com javapipe.com great support good ddos protection
    worst: hostclean.ro siteground clausweb

I love how javapipe has a terrible UI and yet they offer web design packages :D

Thanked by 1suparel
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@HAMSW said: RIP 2019, won't will be missed

Holy crap, Angelfire is still around. So is Lycos, Excite, and Tripod.

Sad that Geocities isn't.

Thanked by 1HAMSW
  • HAMSWHAMSW Member

@raindog308 said:

@HAMSW said: RIP 2019, won't will be missed

Holy crap, Angelfire is still around. So is Lycos, Excite, and Tripod.

Sad that Geocities isn't.

www.tripod.lycos.com

they be rocking that double prefix with www as one on of the two, crazy

• HAMSWHAMSW Member

@raindog308 considering ultraseedbox for some free VPS services :D

• HAMSWHAMSW Member

@JosephF said:

@HAMSW said:

@nocloud said:

Yeah but Geocities Japan lived till March 2019

• JosephFJosephF Member

@HAMSW said:

@JosephF said:

@HAMSW said:

@nocloud said:

Yeah but Geocities Japan lived till March 2019

Does Yahoo Japan still use the Yahoo brand?

• 10thHouse10thHouse Member
    edited April 3

@eris said:
    Best: Hetzner is fine, serverius.net, i3d all good experiences with

Worst: Boomer.host
    Veriso after their price increases +21 euro for a domain :'(

Yeesh, I just checked Boomer.host's ordering page and wow is it unprofessional. At the time I'm checking, the logo doesn't even show up and it just says "Header Logo" with a link to the homepage.

For anyone wondering: https://my.boomer.host/order.php?step=1&productGroup=4

It seems redundant to say, but the professionalism of UI is generally a strong indicator of service quality.

Thanked by 1HAMSW
  • 10thHouse10thHouse Member
    edited April 3

Best:
    - IncogNET has had consistently good pricing and customer service, plus realistic advertising and payment flexibility. I think that a host that makes average claims and fulfills them is better than a host that makes outrageously good claims and gives good delivery. But I think IncogNET has made good claims and given good delivery, too. Support replies pretty fast, the company seems to be trying to expand privacy to other areas of the internet (VPN, YouTube frontend IncogTube, etc), and they seem to have a lot of community support and stability despite being relatively young (2020 or 2021 I think they were founded).
    - Had a good run with Hetzner webhosting, liked the prices and customer support. I no longer use them for personal reasons, however that was 100% on me and not relevant for most people here, so I'm keeping Hetzner in the Best category.

Worst:
    - Njal.la, but I think that this has been a common experience here and on other forums like webhostingtalk. Pretty sure the support team is just one guy, and not a very nice one, at that. Also the prices are just unreasonable for the level of quality and uptime you get. Cancelled as soon as my payment cycle was up.

Loyal:
    - Yoursunny Antarctica VPS
    https://yoursunny.com/p/summer-host/ipv9/

(Happy late April Fool's)

Other:
    - I liked Vultr before the TOS changes came to light. I liked the free Plesk license integration and ease of selecting and deploying a server. The referral program was a nice plus, but it's hard for me to recommend them now.

Thanked by 2shruub HAMSW
  • shruubshruub Member

@matey0 said:

While yeah, pq.hosting is on top for pretty much every of their resold locations, it makes sense that Hetzner isn't there, since they don't sell servers in Frankfurt.

Thanked by 2matey0 HAMSW
  • matey0matey0 Member

@shruub said:

@matey0 said:

While yeah, pq.hosting is on top for pretty much every of their resold locations, it makes sense that Hetzner isn't there, since they don't sell servers in Frankfurt.

Haha oops, it was late already. The point still stands nevertheless, for example with "vps in germany", the only reputable hosts on the first page are ovh and (maybe) cloudzy.

Thanked by 2shruub HAMSW
  • sassliksasslik Member

Good: Clouvider, Shock Hosting, LiteServer, HostHatch
    Not recommend: SpeedyPage, Host Media, UpCloud

Thanked by 1HAMSW
  • Had not gone through too many host to get a worst experience, but I rather say that my current provider is way too good with uptime and support - I am happy with them till now.

• JosephFJosephF Member

@aakashmishra007 said:
    Had not gone through too many host to get a worst experience, but I rather say that my current provider is way too good with uptime and support - I am happy with them till now.

Who is your current provider?

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • sandozsandoz Veteran

@10thHouse said: Also the prices are just unreasonable for the level of quality and uptime you get

You pay the price not only for the "uptime" but for the anonymity that they do.
    Also Njal.la team is not very friendly when they see some kind abuse that they don't like. Even if is legal.

I never had issues with Njal.la, support was nice (never was rude).

• Best racknerd
    Worst quadhost and infravecloud (summerhosts)

Thanked by 1HAMSW
  • matey0matey0 Member

@DeadlyChemist said:
    Best racknerd
    Worst quadhost and infravecloud (summerhosts)

You can get anonymity with any provider that takes crypto and doesn't do KYC, which there are a ton of.

• FperkissFperkiss Member
    edited April 3

Best email: mx route, hands down.
    Best web hosting: buyvm / namecrane. Cheap, fast, good uptime
    Best vps: still trying many… none have wowed me so far

No complaints: racknerd

Most terrible vps: ionos weeps into hands

Thanked by 2HAMSW Harambe