Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are some lesser known keyboard shortcuts that everyone should know about?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are some lesser known keyboard shortcuts that everyone should know about?

i'll go with ctrl + shift + esc for windows task manager

Thanked by 1Eiliya2001
Also, which shortcut would you **remove** if you are forced to?
  1. Remove...38 votes
    1. ctrl c
      21.05%
    2. ctrl v
        0.00%
    3. ctrl x
      78.95%

Comments

• davidedavide Member
    edited April 2

ctrl + shift + esc? Typing that with one hand (the left one I suppose) feels like figuring out the secret key combo to open the config menu in a dishwasher or coffee machine. But computers have become appliances the past 10 years, so it's acceptable.

And appliances have become furniture. But strangely, furniture have remained furniture. Is that rock bottom?

• matey0matey0 Member
    edited April 2

Should've specified that you mean Windows keyboard shortcuts. On Linux desktops people will have other shortcuts.

Anyways, more on-topic for this forum, in the shell (ssh) it's nice to know the default emacs-style readline keybindings:
    Ctrl + w: Delete previous word
    Alt + d: Delete until end of word
    Alt + f: Move forward by one word
    Alt + b: Move backwards by one word
    Ctrl + f: Move forward by one character
    Ctrl + b: Move backwards by one character
    Ctrl + p: Up
    Ctrl + n: down
    Ctrl + a: Go to beginning of input line
    Ctrl + e: Go to end of line
    Ctrl + k: Delete until end of line
    Ctrl + u: Delete entire line
    Ctrl + L: Clear screen
    Ctrl + r: History search
    Ctrl + c: Send SIGINT, most should know this, less known:
    Ctrl + \: Send SIGKILL (force kill for programs having a SIGINT handler)

These are the ones I use the most :)
    Additionally, a lot of shells have an option to enable a vi-mode when hitting Esc.

• shruubshruub Member

Powerbutton: Powers down the machine.

Also, why do 44% remove ctrl c? Doesnt that kinda render ctrl v invaild as well? Or would right click + pressing copy be allowed?

• tra10000tra10000 Member

Ctrl + v = Shift + Insert

• davidedavide Member
    edited April 2

@tra10000 said:

As a former user of a decapitated keyboard with 10% of the keys not working, I kinda suspect what led to figuring that out.

Thanked by 1indieben

@davide said:

@tra10000 said:

As a former user of a decapitated keyboard with 10% of the keys not working, I kinda suspect what led to figuring that out.

When the Ctrl key is broken or the right mouse button does not work, (shift + insert) is useful.

I've seen your phone pictures, I'm sure your computer looks like a toaster :)

I respect you.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR
    edited April 3

@SodaWithoutSparkles said:
    i'll go with ctrl + shift + esc for windows task manager

I definitely didn't know about this one.. I've missed Ctrl + Alt + Del opening Task Manager since they took it away in XP..

Win + E (File Explorer) and Win + R (Run box) are the two I use the most.

Removing Ctrl + x wouldn't bother me.. I use Ctrl + c way way more... Both Windows for Copy and non-Windows for Break..

• NanjaNanja Member

I like moving programs to other monitors without dragging.
    Full screen stuff likes games (Shift + Windows key + Left/Right arrow key)
    Non Full screen programs | Click program then do (Windows key + Left/Right arrow key)

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited April 3

I have two contributions for Linux shell:

1. In GNU/Screen session you can assign the ctrl+right/left arrow keys the same functionality of ctrl-a-n and ctrl-a-p (combinations which go to the next/previous window) by setting this in your ~/.screenrc file:
      escape ^Aa
      bindkey "^[[1;5C" next
      bindkey "^[[1;5D" prev
      To apply it immediately use:
      screen -X source ~/.screenrc

2. This is not a keyboard shortcut, but If you want to know the exact date and time you executed a command from your bash history:
      $ export HISTTIMEFORMAT='%F %T '
      And then you'll see ‏the date and time near the command when running:
      $ history
      To unset:
      $ unset HISTTIMEFORMAT

• siemenssiemens Member

Alt + Tab

This shouldn't be in General.

• totototototo Member

Win + Shift + S

• somiksomik Member

Ctrl + W to close browser tab
    Ctrl + Tab to switch tabs
    Win + Tab to get a window/desktop switcher

• Shift+Del to permanently delete a file in Windows without sending it to the Recycle Bin.

Thanked by 1BruhGamer12
  • DartNodeDartNode Member, Patron Provider

@davide said:
    ctrl + shift + esc? Typing that with one hand (the left one I suppose) feels like figuring out the secret key combo to open the config menu in a dishwasher or coffee machine. But computers have become appliances the past 10 years, so it's acceptable.

And appliances have become furniture. But strangely, furniture have remained furniture. Is that rock bottom?

Thumb on control and shift, and middle finger on escape. But I suppose hand/keyboard size matters for this.

Crtl + Shift + T is one of my favorites to reopen closed tabs.

Thanked by 1Falzo

Ctrl + Left mouse click = Mouse scroll key click

Opens the link in a new tab. (Browsers)

Thanked by 1orangejoose
  • matey0matey0 Member
    edited April 3

@tra10000 said:

Generally not true, browsers just map "Open in new tab" to both.

Fun fact: click handlers that some websites have on links and prevent you from opening it in a new tab via ctrl+click generally won't execute for middle-click. Though middle-click handlers can be registered in javascript separately using the auxclick event.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • james50ajames50a Member

Cntrl+shift+t reopen recently closed chrome tabs

• StradaleStradale Member

I really never use ctrl x anyways

edited April 3

@matey0 said:

@tra10000 said:

Generally not true, browsers just map "Open in new tab" to both.

Fun fact: click handlers that some websites have on links and prevent you from opening it in a new tab via ctrl+click generally won't execute for middle-click. Though middle-click handlers can be registered in javascript separately using the auxclick event.

Valid until 2016, changed later. Is this generally not true?

• 4te564te56 Member

On MacOS, "Paste and Match Style" - or as I like to call it, "the claw" Option-Shift-Command-V.

On Windows you can get the same behavior with Ctrl-Shift-V in some apps, or universally with Power Toys "Paste as Plain Text" module.

• IMHO the shortcut to remove is ctrl-x
    because thats just ctrl-c with a backspace or delete

• on windows I like the shift + win + arrow key, so I can shift apps around multiple monitors. eg. a game that is fullscreen and I want to move it to my third monitor, I do the command and press right arrow three times and boom magic its there

• allanallan Member

@davide said:

@tra10000 said:

Shit + Insert was the key combination I learned under Win3.x. Its complement was Shift + Del to cut text.

On Linux, I often use Alt + drag window to move them around. On Macs, Cmd + ` switches between application windows within the workspace (when not using Stage Manager), and cycles between apps in center stage of Stage Manager.