Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

smallest kernel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

smallest kernel?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited March 2012 in Help

Just wondering where I can find the Linux kernel that uses as little memory as possible? Is damnsmalllinux good enough? Thanks!

Comments

• Debian 5 or 6. Arch or Gentoo would be my guesses. Technically any would be fine but they are smallest out of the box

• LibreKernel is fairly small since it has much stuff removed, but getting it to work with your hardware is hard.

The Linux Kernel is fairly big on all distributions, it supports so much hardware. If you want a smaller one your best bet is to custom compile it with your own make config.

You could always try Debian GNU/Hurd which uses Mach, which is a tiny kernel.

Thanked by 1marinated
  • nocomnocom Member

puppy linux i guess, already tested web puppy server very fine distro but not for VPS
    Agree with Daniel custom compile is fine if have box

• Compiling your own kernel with exactly what you need, with size optimizations, will result in the smallest kernel.

• Probably not worth the hassle to try to save memory on the kernel, optimize your services more :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

You shouldn't be burning much memory if the kernel has a lot of modules enabled.

I mean, the debian kernels are a little big in disk space, but they only load the modules required. Hell, any linux should be like that I would think?

Francisco

• TinyCore :P

• @marinated said: TinyCore :P

This

• Wow, that's quit a few replies, I think I am getting answers quicker here than in WHT! Thanks so much for everyone's help, +1 for LET!
    I figured compiling my own kernel would be the best, however I do not have the knowledge nor I know the specific hardware to know what I will need to compile (I am running a 256MB Xen VPS from XenVZ/OpenITC) and the biggest problem is they are running on a 64 bit kernel which seems to take a quite a bit of spaces by just doing...nothing...and anything running on a 64 bit kernel uses more memory than its 32 bit siblings. Therefore, I am just wondering by running my own kernel, whether it would be possible to get a tiny kernel compile in 32 bit mode...
    Thanks for everyone's help and please let me know if you have further tip on this.

• What host are you using? Every provider should have 32-bit templates for you to use.

• @Kairus: I am using XenVZ/OpenITC and unfortunately they do not have 32 bit templates on their Xen offering due to some security concerns...

• Trying to run a 32 bit kernel on a 64 bit OS install will only end in tears.

• @zhuanyi said: unfortunately they do not have 32 bit templates on their Xen offering due to some security concerns...

Srsly? Such as?

"it's more secure, cause it's got more bits!"

• @Damian: I think that is a question for the provider (i.e., XenVZ) :)