Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World Backup Day – March 31, 2024
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

World Backup Day – March 31, 2024

World Backup Day is a commemorative date celebrated annually by the backup industry and tech industry all over the world on March 31. It highlights the importance of protecting data and keeping systems and computers secure.

World Backup Day started with a post on Reddit where a user wrote about losing their hard drive and wishing someone had reminded them about how important it is to backup data.

Providers are invited to offer storage deals in honor of the holiday :smiley:

Thanked by 1host_c

Comments

• matey0matey0 Member

Let's all simulate a disaster backup recovery on world backup day.
    Doing backups is only half of the work - it doesn't help if you then aren't able to recover them because you lost their encryption password together with the password manager on your dead disk ;)

• @matey0 said:
    Doing backups is only half of the work - it doesn't help if you then aren't able to recover them because you lost their encryption password together with the password manager on your dead disk ;)

Keys must be encrypted separately

• shruubshruub Member

Fun fact (since I used to recommend them)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/1bakcxe/hows_scaleway_object_storage_failed_me_files_lost/

So one might rather use the even cheaper azure archives (but pay a fortune when having to restore)

• MoopahMoopah Member

@shruub said:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/1bakcxe/hows_scaleway_object_storage_failed_me_files_lost/

So one might rather use the even cheaper azure archives (but pay a fortune when having to restore)

Why not use someone reliable like iHostArt for backend storage with multiple 9s of availability and durability? Much cheaper than Azure or Scaleway.

• shruubshruub Member

@Moopah said:

@shruub said:

Why not use someone reliable like iHostArt for backend storage with multiple 9s of availability and durability? Much cheaper than Azure or Scaleway.

Exactly my thought.

• bbn12bbn12 Member

you can also use 10TB+ sata disks and keep backups in your second penthouse

• @bbn12 said:
    you can also use 10TB+ sata disks and keep backups in your second penthouse

wrong forum bro

Thanked by 2PineappleM k4zz
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@farsighter said:

World Backup Day is a commemorative date celebrated annually by the backup industry and tech industry all over the world on March 31. It highlights the importance of protecting data and keeping systems and computers secure.

World Backup Day started with a post on Reddit where a user wrote about losing their hard drive and wishing someone had reminded them about how important it is to backup data.

Providers are invited to randomly remove drives to test out user's backup skills in honor of the holiday :)

• /me grabs popcorn to watch the failed recoveries:p

Thanked by 1commercial
  • marianmarian Member

sorry, we don't celebrate this day here at LET :D

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep
    edited March 30

@farsighter said:

We will honor it!

Thanked by 2ehab commercial
  • shruubshruub Member

@NetDynamics24 said:

@farsighter said:

We will honor it!

I'll be hyped for the next LET50% code
    (though I didn't buy it last time and i cant remember why)

Thanked by 1NetDynamics24
  • caracalcaracal Member

Any software deals for backup?

Thanked by 1commercial
  • matey0matey0 Member

@caracal said:

The best backup software is free :)
    restic, borg, or just plain-old rsync

Thanked by 1host_c
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran

@caracal said:

Borgbackup is free tomorrow!

and every day since it's FOSS.

• @matey0 said:

I'm sorry that your family sucks so much you'd want to create a backup disaster to get out of time with them.

• matey0matey0 Member

@TimboJones said:

@matey0 said:

I'm sorry that your family sucks so much you'd want to create a backup disaster to get out of time with them.

Are you trying to be funny?
    Easter still has 24 hours, you can fit a couple hours of lonely keyboard time into family time.

• @matey0 said:

@TimboJones said:

@matey0 said:

Easter still has 24 hours, you can fit a couple hours of lonely keyboard time into family time.

Have your disaster recovery. Your family will thank you.

• matey0matey0 Member

@TimboJones said:

@matey0 said:

@TimboJones said:

@matey0 said:

Have your disaster recovery. Your family will thank you.

Do I know you? No idea why you're randomly being rude.
    Maybe you're projecting a bit? Let's try to be a little better than that on Easter.

edited March 31

We offer 50% recurring discount on our Backup Storage plans:
    https://netdynamics24.com/backup-services.php
    The coupon code is valid for annual orders only and for all locations except Germany.
    LET50%
    Offer valid only for today!

• No wonder MultiCloud offered 70% off for life on plan...

One more offer:
    Dedicated storage server 48TB:

Intel Xeon E3-1241v3
    Cores: 4 (Threads: 8)
    RAM: 32 GB DDR3
    Disks: 4 x 12 TB HDD
    Traffic: Unmetered @ 1Gbit
    IPMI and management panel
    1 IPv4
    $65/mo or $183/quarter

https://www.netdynamics24.com/client/order.php?step=1&productGroup=18

• wii747wii747 Member

I use 2 store servers running proxmox backup servers and backblaze

• @matey0 said:

@caracal said:

The best backup software is free :)
    restic, borg, or just plain-old rsync

all CLI tools, not so grate for non-nerds

• lazee486lazee486 Member

Vorta is a gui tool for borg, and kopia for s3 etc

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2

@farsighter said:

We already did, 5 days ago :D

We tried to stay ahead of the disaster .