Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much better is a Dedicated server than a VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much better is a Dedicated server than a VPS

I've always gone with VPS never had a problem with them.

Now I'm thinking about experimenting.

I understand it sepends on the hard ware etc... But generally should I expect a big difference or more like meh, bearly noticeable?

What was your experience?

I'm thinking about getting one of these OVH KS-17

Comments

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

There are many factors at play here. However, the biggest advantage is, those resources are all yours. You can use them fully without any worries nor consequences. Majority of VPS hosts will state a fair use policy, mainly around the CPU resources, which won't apply here.

OTOH, you could be getting a better bang for your buck when it comes to a VPS, specially if it comes with the latest hardware in the market, or a bigger port, etc. For example, that OVH KS-17 comes with 100Mbps ports, while majority of hosts here will provide 1Gbit or 10Gbit even.

If your application runs well within a vps, stay with a vps and save the money. If your application tends to use resources heavily, then maybe it's time to move to a dedi :)

• Low-end dedis are pretty bad value for most purposes, unless you're attaching lots of storage to it, the older CPUs will probably be worse than a similarly priced VPS with newer CPUs.

• It depends in your use case, having no neighbors means better performance, stability and reliability which may be noticeable if your usage really requires very high CPU and exclusive access to all resources. If that's not the case a dedi will just be more expensive and you won't benefit much.

You said you never had problems with VPSs and just want to experiment so it doesn't sound like something you desperately need.

The only dedi I had was Kimsufi KS-1 server with 2TB disk space, a pretty weak machine which I mainly used as media server and backup storage.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@trycatchthis said: I'm thinking about getting one of these OVH KS-17

"100Mbps unmetered"

That hurts my heart.

• @raindog308 said: "100Mbps unmetered"

This good or bad?

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@trycatchthis said:

@raindog308 said: "100Mbps unmetered"

This good or bad?

Very bad for the modern internet.

Atleast Limited 1 Gbit port would be good, but I can't blame since the price is peanuts.

• GhtGht Member

VPS its an Apartment on the Building
    Dedicated its an Entire Building.

Thanked by 1PineappleM
  • kevindskevinds Member, LIR
    edited March 28

@trycatchthis said:
    I understand it sepends on the hard ware etc... But generally should I expect a big difference or more like meh, bearly noticeable?

It depends what you are doing..

I need to be able to send data at 3-4gbps, I don't need a lot of transfer per month (2-3TB is more than enough) but I need a fast port.

My various Vultr VPS systems (I've tried a few different configations) will usually max at 1.5 gbps but will be shaped to 500 mbps in both directions after a short period of time. I asked their support, the hosts have a 10 gbps connection but the 'neighbors' are using it.

I provisioned a dedicated server, I was able to transfer at 3+ gbps with zero issues.

Some providers offer a hybrid of both as well, VPS systems with dedicated CPU cores.. Depends what you are doing, this can be very helpful too, before going to a dedicated server.

• @kevinds said: Some providers offer a hybrid of both as well, VPS systems with dedicated CPU cores.. Depends what you are doing, this can be very helpful too, before going to a dedicated server.

I'm lookinginto this too but don't see much of them. And i'm embarrased to say I didnt know the difference between VPS and VDS until recently even though i've been here for a while.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@trycatchthis said:
    I'm lookinginto this too but don't see much of them. And i'm embarrased to say I didnt know the difference between VPS and VDS until recently even though i've been here for a while.

VDS is a newish term.. I don't see it used often, much more often see 'VPS with dedicated core(s)'..

@kevinds said: VDS is a newish term.. I don't see it used often, much more often see 'VPS with dedicated core(s)'..

Actually I think it's a very old term that went out of fashion and sometimes comes back in vogue. And I've seen VDS with/without dedicated cores.

• hapkidohapkido Member

VDS without dedicated cores? Sounds a bit weird cause KVM VPS already has dedicated disk and memory.

If KVM VDS does not have dedicated cores then weird to call it VDS :D

• tra10000tra10000 Member

@raindog308 said:

@kevinds said: VDS is a newish term.. I don't see it used often, much more often see 'VPS with dedicated core(s)'..

Actually I think it's a very old term that went out of fashion and sometimes comes back in vogue. And I've seen VDS with/without dedicated cores.

In Turkey
    VPS is generally for Openvz based virtualizations,

VDS is often used for KVM based virtualization.

There is a distinction like SolusVM nodes for VPS and Vmware nodes for VDS.

Yes, it is out of fashion now. After all, it's all a virtual machine.

• It's about your budget, with cPanel cost today and hosting on a dedicated server it is not easy to make a profit. A vps still has cost that is somewhat high for a cpanel license. If you can afford the monthly payments a dedicated server will out perform a vps. Thanks

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@trycatchthis said:

Check the data port speed for KS-17.

A VDS (with 4 dedicated ryzen cores) and 10 gig shared data port may get you much better performance.

All comes down to “what are you looking for”

I have a VPS with 10 vCores Ryzen 7950x and it has amazing computing power.

@blackwebhosting said: It's about your budget, with cPanel cost today and hosting on a dedicated server it is not easy to make a profit. A vps still has cost that is somewhat high for a cpanel license. If you can afford the monthly payments a dedicated server will out perform a vps. Thanks

Does cPanel still offer a VPS license that's cheaper than a dedi license? Because you can simply create a KVM that is allocated 100% of the dedicated server's resources.

It's a loophole that's been around forever. I asked for clarification once to their legal department and they sat on the ticket for months and finally closed it with no response. That was pre-Oakley, so maybe Oakley has sharper lawyers.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@raindog308 said:

@blackwebhosting said: It's about your budget, with cPanel cost today and hosting on a dedicated server it is not easy to make a profit. A vps still has cost that is somewhat high for a cpanel license. If you can afford the monthly payments a dedicated server will out perform a vps. Thanks

Does cPanel still offer a VPS license that's cheaper than a dedi license? Because you can simply create a KVM that is allocated 100% of the dedicated server's resources.

It's a loophole that's been around forever. I asked for clarification once to their legal department and they sat on the ticket for months and finally closed it with no response. That was pre-Oakley, so maybe Oakley has sharper lawyers.

This loophole is same as running windows server os with single vps on a dedicated server where windows os is not offered on host dedicated server

• @FatGrizzly said:

@trycatchthis said:

@raindog308 said: "100Mbps unmetered"

This good or bad?

Very bad for the modern internet.

Atleast Limited 1 Gbit port would be good, but I can't blame since the price is peanuts.

tbh it's a bit marketing. last time i checked it was capable of actually pushing 100 all the time. having burstable gig+ is nice but for peanut price it often barely exceeds 100. no idea what the reasoning is versus a burstable gig port, probably most cost effective to negotiate at 100?

@ehhthing said:
    Low-end dedis are pretty bad value for most purposes, unless you're attaching lots of storage to it, the older CPUs will probably be worse than a similarly priced VPS with newer CPUs.

nah there's plenty of VPS that have older CPUs versus a proper dedi even though they are rare but that's mostly because of the e-waste resellers. I guess it should be a proper rule to include GB6 scores for advertisements

@trycatchthis said: I'm thinking about getting one of these OVH KS-17

OVH is pretty shit deals even though its cheap, that hardware is more than a decade old

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@trycatchthis said:

I understand it spends on the hardware etc...
    But generally should I expect a big difference or more like meh, barely noticeable?

Check GB6 score for the VPS and compare the performanc

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    ---------------------------------
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     |  2905
    Multi Core      | 11336
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/5585049

You won't find dedicated server matching this performance for under $35 month

• MoopahMoopah Member

@dev_vps said:

@trycatchthis said:

I understand it spends on the hardware etc...
    But generally should I expect a big difference or more like meh, barely noticeable?

Check GB6 score for the VPS and compare the performanc

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    ---------------------------------
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     |  2905
    Multi Core      | 11336
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/5585049

You won't find dedicated server matching this performance for under $35 month

What's the price for that one?