Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Running really old PHP/Mysql combo
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Running really old PHP/Mysql combo

amarcamarc Veteran

Hello, anyone with cPanel/DA or similars using Cloudlinux and able to install PHP 5.2 (with their alt-php) or less willing to give a brother 7-day trial with 20-ish GB space and no bandwidth at all just to try if this client's script is willing to work at all ? This will just be testing by me and nothing else. If everything works out I am willing to even purchase some package

Alternatively, anyone knows or have idea how can I run this really old PHP/Mysql combo nowdays on modern distros ?

A.

Comments

• ailiceailice Member
    edited March 27

If you okay with PHP 5.6, you can spin Quick Debian VPS and add Sury DPA Repository. Older maybe little trivial but you can looking how ondrej making 5.6 from their jenkins config

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Good luck with that

PHP 5.2 has not been supported upstream since January 2011

Even ancient RHEL 6.x had PHP 5.3

Your best bet would be to install an old Linux distribution on VirtualBox

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@amarc said: eally old PHP/Mysql combo nowdays on modern distros

You're talking Debian 5 Lenny. You could install that with a provider that lets you upload your own ISO. I'

I'm sure it's possible to compile php 5 it for any modern distro, but that'd be a lot of work.

• amarcamarc Veteran

Well, from my quick research Cloudlinux 8 can install even PHP 4.4 :smile: . I am not willing to run it/pay just for sake of that. I am for sure that script does not run nicely on 5.6 but still waiting for client to handover so I can test it if runs on 5.3 or 5.4 (not that that changes anything).

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

10G disk good?

can give you an account on @NameCrane

has php 4.4 support to php 8.x

@amarc said:
    Well, from my quick research Cloudlinux 8 can install even PHP 4.4 :smile: . I am not willing to run it/pay just for sake of that. I am for sure that script does not run nicely on 5.6 but still waiting for client to handover so I can test it if runs on 5.3 or 5.4 (not that that changes anything).

I'm speaking from a distance, but wouldn't that kind of work/testing justify extra charges for the client to pay? (To pay for CloudLinux 8, assuming that CloudLinux 8 would help)

Thanked by 1yoursunny

@raindog308 said:

@amarc said: eally old PHP/Mysql combo nowdays on modern distros

You're talking Debian 5 Lenny. You could install that with a provider that lets you upload your own ISO. I'

I'm sure it's possible to compile php 5 it for any modern distro, but that'd be a lot of work.

Just to echo this, Debian 5 (lenny) had php-5.2.6/mysql-5.0.51a and Debian 4 (etch) had php-5.2.0/mysql-5.0.32

• amarcamarc Veteran

@angstrom said: Just to echo this, Debian 5 (lenny) had php-5.2.6/mysql-5.0.51a and Debian 4 (etch) had php-5.2.0/mysql-5.0.32

I would actually be happy with this as it would be running in NAT'd environment.. Question is.. is there still 'live' mirrors with lenny ?

• amarcamarc Veteran

@FatGrizzly said: 10G disk good?

That would work, thanks. I can contact you when client delivers code, since I still do not have anything to work with

Thanked by 1FatGrizzly
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Ask the client to pay to refactoring the script for a recent PHP version.

• @Neoon said:
    Ask the client to pay to refactoring the script for a recent PHP version.

Yeah, pretty much that. While building some old version likely isn't too hard running software that has been EOL for over 10 years is just asking for trouble...

@amarc said:

@angstrom said: Just to echo this, Debian 5 (lenny) had php-5.2.6/mysql-5.0.51a and Debian 4 (etch) had php-5.2.0/mysql-5.0.32

I would actually be happy with this as it would be running in NAT'd environment.. Question is.. is there still 'live' mirrors with lenny ?

No, as far as I know, there aren't any live apt-get mirrors with lenny (Debian 5)

But you can still get CDs or DVDs with all of the packages for the final minor release of lenny, which was Debian 5.0.10:

https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/
    https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/5.0.10/

@amarc said:

@FatGrizzly said: 10G disk good?

That would work, thanks. I can contact you when client delivers code, since I still do not have anything to work with

If the original software was written for (say) php-5.2 and mysql-5.0.x , the question is also whether a current version of MySQL would work smoothly

• sassliksasslik Member
    edited March 27

Small vps + vestacp older version?

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@sasslik said: vestacp older version

That's never a great idea. Running older versions is frowned up, especially if the versions are no longer maintained for security updates.

• sassliksasslik Member

@rsk said:

@sasslik said: vestacp older version

That's never a great idea. Running older versions is frowned up, especially if the versions are no longer maintained for security updates.

Ahh yea, it is not. Didn't realise that hes really looking to host something, thought test some script or something.

• amarcamarc Veteran

Script is in "will not be updated" stage. Company need's it up and running and that's it.. And while I agree with all of you that they should be updating, that's not happening and it will be (if at all) hosted behind some NAT, Firewall and "VPN-only" limits. So it will be public but not outside their offices.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@amarc said:
    Script is in "will not be updated" stage. Company need's it up and running and that's it.. And while I agree with all of you that they should be updating, that's not happening and it will be (if at all) hosted behind some NAT, Firewall and "VPN-only" limits. So it will be public but not outside their offices.

Understood. That will definitely reduce the surface of attacks, but the you have to have some measures in place for internal users. Call me crazy, but better safe than sorry :)

• layer7layer7 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@amarc said:
    Hello, anyone with cPanel/DA or similars using Cloudlinux and able to install PHP 5.2 (with their alt-php) or less willing to give a brother 7-day trial with 20-ish GB space and no bandwidth at all just to try if this client's script is willing to work at all ? This will just be testing by me and nothing else. If everything works out I am willing to even purchase some package

Alternatively, anyone knows or have idea how can I run this really old PHP/Mysql combo nowdays on modern distros ?

A.

Hi,

maybe this can help without the need to compile and make a quick test:

https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html

They also have some ancient versions for linux:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/files/XAMPP Linux/

... also windows is available.

Good luck!

• nyamenknyamenk Member

@NameCrane has php 4.4 to 8.3