Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS in VPS using Pygrub?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS in VPS using Pygrub?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited March 2012 in Help

Would it be possible for me to create, say, a 128MB VPS from a 512MB Xen VPS running Pygrub? I can install any OS on both the smaller VPS and the large one that is the "host". If so, could you let me know how it could be done? Thanks.

Comments

• You can run UML pretty much on any linux.

• @rds100 sorry for being a noob...what is UML?

• user mode linux (google it)

• tuxtux Member

user mode linux

• Thanks, will google it :)

• Tried this and there seems to be an issue with pty device, Googled online and it seems to be a bug in Debian FS of UML...
    Also, is the UML instance persistent? i.e., once I log out of the server (which I have not found a good way other than close the putty, since type logout would put me back to login screen), would UML still up and running or it would be shut off as well?

• Technically you could run openvz inside of a Xen or KVM VPS.

Thanked by 2djvdorp yowmamasita
  • @TheHackBox: Would that take more memory overhead than just running UML though?

• No, actually OpenVZ is very efficient. And much faster than UML. The drawback is that you need to change the kernel to run OVZ.

• @rds100: does that mean i have to install a 32 bit kernel first as a host kernel then on top of that set up a OVZ container using this kernel?

• Why 32bit? 64bit is possible too, but it must be OpenVZ kernel.

• @rds100: I am running pygrub with a 64 bit Debian OS, and I would like to somehow get 32 bit OS running in this VPS.

• You can run 32 bit and 64 bit guests under 64 bit host kernel.
    You can only run 32 bit guests under 32 bit host kernel.

• @rds100: any tutorial about this? specifically how to set it up with pygrub? thanks!

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2012

On a dedicated server with debian you could do:
    apt-get install linux-image-openvz-686 vzctl
    Not sure of the possible complications from pygrub since i don't use it.

edit: for 64bit host it should be linux-image-openvz-amd64