Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Piracy Shield data leaked - Threat or not?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Piracy Shield data leaked - Threat or not?

sandozsandoz Veteran

Piracy Shield was leaked online with all docs...
Since this is can be considered a tool to do censorship rather than "prevent anything related with piracy".

What you think about this?
https://torrentfreak.com/piracy-shield-source-code-internal-documentation-leak-online-240326/

There are many concerns about Piracy Shield by AGCOM and their usage, which can be read in Torrentfreak already did mistakes and blocked many legit networks...

Comments

• ZyraZyra Member

lol

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@sandoz said: What you think about this?

Non-issue..

Will help competitors start similar/identical other than that, meh...

• matey0matey0 Member

Wonder if this was leaked by an employee? Just source code, no data (besides manuals). I doubt it'll do that much damage to the company, which I imagine was the goal? If it was a third-party breach I'd imagine something more along the lines of full data dump + defacement + ransomware or whatever

• shruubshruub Member

I like that people still think just uploading stuff like that to github (and not gitee or some gitea instance that allows it).

• LeviLevi Member

This is very dangerous tool and precedent. It is designed not to fight piracy, but to enforce censorship. "Think about children" does not cut it. Who prevents this tool to be used to censor political critique, censor news about medicine etc.

Thanked by 1Tingull
  • matey0matey0 Member

@Levi said:
    This is very dangerous tool and precedent. It is designed not to fight piracy, but to enforce censorship. "Think about children" does not cut it. Who prevents this tool to be used to censor political critique, censor news about medicine etc.

Literally every single big tech (social) media platform already does this and much more effectively at that. I do believe them that their DNS or IP level blocking primarily targets "piracy", while still rather ineffective for obvious reasons: dns over tls, proxies like cloudflare

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@matey0 said:

@Levi said:

Literally every single big tech (social) media platform already does this and much more effectively at that. I do believe them that their DNS or IP level blocking primarily targets "piracy", while still rather ineffective for obvious reasons: dns over tls, proxies like cloudflare

Well, this ingenious solution in particular solved that problem by simply blocking Cloudflare :lol:

https://www.techdirt.com/2024/03/19/italys-piracy-shield-blocks-innocent-web-sites-and-makes-it-hard-for-them-to-appeal/

• lmao the piracy shield be pirated :#

Blocking on IP/Domain is just idiotic, the examples such as Cloudflare IP blocks just reconfirms such.

Such solutions lead to increase of marketing of piracy and anti censorship solutions which is potentially more dangerous and counter productive.

Realistically blocking anything is impossible even at Asia level of "protection"

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 27

You call it mistake?

Some italians are Just retarded. Thats it.
    I wouldnt do business with any provider there for now.

A reseller/downstream or whatever you call it of us is currently in Court. DAZN tried to sue Namecheap, Cloudflare and them for 2.5million €. The Website in question is a blank Page basically linking to stream Websites. With almost no traffic. And a official document of AGCOM states that this Website not Hosting any streams. No Proof submitted by DAZN.

The 2.5m € are stated by DAZN their total loss from piracy (they Claim) No way they get though with that.

Customer has proof that the complaints where dealth with and tried to Reach out multiple Times to dazn.

Its a complete Joke. The customer is suffering from Depressions and about to give up His Business. I Always stand behind him to help. Also financially. We dont want them to get trough with that.

Unfortunately at The time being, i can not share any Details. But once The time and The court Hearings in Milan begin we share The Outcome publicly also with Media and Torrentfreak.

If they loose, we will sue them back for anything possible, damages. The italian lawyers hired are very positive of a Victory.

This piracy shield Thing is pure censoring only and should be stopped!!!

Thanked by 3sillycat SLMob _MS_
  • CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

@HostSlick said: This piracy shield Thing is pure censoring only and should be stopped!!!

>

True, from today I'm start love @HostSlick

• techdragontechdragon Member
    edited March 27

@HostSlick said:
    You call it mistake?

A reseller/downstream or whatever you call it of us is currently in Court. DAZN tried to sue Namecheap, Cloudflare and them for 2.5million €. The Website in question is a blank Page basically linking to stream Websites. With almost no traffic. And a official document of AGCOM states that this Website not Hosting any streams. No Proof submitted by DAZN.

The 2.5m € are stated by DAZN their total loss from piracy (they Claim) No way they get though with that.

Customer has proof that the complaints where dealth with and tried to Reach out multiple Times to dazn.

Its a complete Joke. The customer is suffering from Depressions and about to give up His Business. I Always stand behind him to help. Also financially. We dont want them to get trough with that.

Unfortunately at The time being, i can not share any Details. But once The time and The court Hearings in Milan begin we share The Outcome publicly also with Media and Torrentfreak.

If they loose, we will sue them back for anything possible, damages. The italian lawyers hired are very positive of a Victory.

It's common when suing someone to ask for unrealistic sums. It doesn't mean people expect to settle and or be awarded that amount.

It's likely the lawyers who fixed the figure there. And in most cases, the only people who get paid in such disputes are the lawyers (and they know it).

Good luck and if you can share more details in time, please do. Sounds like a very vindictive move.

• matey0matey0 Member
    edited March 27

@HostSlick said:
    You call it mistake?

Reminder to pay special attention to privacy when doing anything that might even slightly bother some big company with millions to throw at lawyers. Could probably be avoided if those companies didn't have his IRL data to hand out. They're unsuccessful at going after the original big streaming sites because they hide their identities and are probably based in countries that don't care about copyright. So instead they blow their legal budget on random blogs who linked to one of those sites and are easily identifiable.
    Best wishes to your customer and may his damage payout be bountiful. Make sure to have protocols by a psychologist for proof of the distress the lawsuit has caused him.