Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPAM software to abstract away hardto remember IPv6 addresses?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPAM software to abstract away hardto remember IPv6 addresses?

Is there any kind of IP Address management software that can abstract away difficult to remember IPv6 addresses?

The idea is that hostnames and the allocated IPs are derived from rules depending on the role of the host and its location or place in the network.

Internally, within the network there won't be much leeway in the choice of the IP address allocated to a host playing some role, but it is the external GRE'd IP address that the software should be concerned with. This is where the mapping of rule-based hostnames to the "external" IP addresses matter.

If the same can be done internally on a small scale that will be fine, but the external aspect is what matters, the ease of mapping of host names to IPv6 address without having to remember the actual IP addreses

Comments

• kaitkait Member

I love netbox.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR
    edited March 26

@kait said:
    I love netbox.

I want to use Netbox, I try to use Netbox, but Netbox has refused to accept our setup each time I've tried to use it.

So I leave it alone for 12-18 months and try again, hoping it has improved the next time..

Hasn't yet, but I still hold out hope for it.

• kaitkait Member

@kevinds said:

@kait said:
    I love netbox.

I want to use Netbox, I try to use Netbox, but Netbox has refused to accept our setup each time I've tried to use it.

So I leave it alone for 12-18 months and try again, hoping it has improved the next time..

Hasn't yet, but I still hold out hope for it.

I deployed it with docker and didn't have any issues except that it's a bit on the slow (it's php) side. I manage all my prefixes in that and my homelab network setup.

@kait said:
    I manage all my prefixes in that and my homelab network setup.

Just your homelab? That explains it..

Try and document a PtP connection between two sites.. Same IP block (a /30 for example) or two addresses in a /64 or any other size of block you decide.

• kaitkait Member

@kevinds said:

@kait said:
    I manage all my prefixes in that and my homelab network setup.

Just your homelab? That explains it..

Try and document a PtP connection between two sites.. Same IP block (a /30 for example) or two addresses in a /64 or any other size of block you decide.

Oh yeah, haven't done any advanced stuff yet.

• gestioip has a somewhat easy deployment method with docker.

http://www.gestioip.net/

edited March 26

@babywhale said:
    gestioip has a somewhat easy deployment method with docker.

http://www.gestioip.net/

Last update was 2021-09. Is the project dead? Or is it stable/complete that it doesn't need updates?

I ask because we need better IPAM but it is a LOT of work to 'try' one.

• @k9banger02 said:
    Is there any kind of IP Address management software that can abstract away difficult to remember IPv6 addresses?

The idea is that hostnames and the allocated IPs are derived from rules depending on the role of the host and its location or place in the network.

Internally, within the network there won't be much leeway in the choice of the IP address allocated to a host playing some role, but it is the external GRE'd IP address that the software should be concerned with. This is where the mapping of rule-based hostnames to the "external" IP addresses matter.

If the same can be done internally on a small scale that will be fine, but the external aspect is what matters, the ease of mapping of host names to IPv6 address without having to remember the actual IP addreses

Have you heard of DNS? You're not really supposed/expected to be remembering regularly used IP's by IP interactively (automate or use DNS).
    Or cloudflared tunnels?

• ipv6 /32 ez