Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

free hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

free hosting

mmo25821mmo25821 Member

really no joke

i want to make a free website hosting (Cpanel) with google ads or something like this its worth to go or not and any help how to do it? and its legal?

Comments

• I have run several hosting companies in the past that offer free hosting and I would say it's a complete waste of time and a breeding ground for spammers and abusers.

• @ivlad said:
    I have run several hosting companies in the past that offer free hosting and I would say it's a complete waste of time and a breeding ground for spammers and abusers.

so i want only to make a huge database and after that maybe i will make it for money not free

• worth if you have a good management and policies, free hosting is always attract abusers.

• @logaritse said:
    worth if you have a good management and policies, free hosting is always attract abusers.

any advices?

Thanked by 1holografix
  • ivlad ivlad Member
    edited March 26

@mmo25821 said:

@ivlad said:
    I have run several hosting companies in the past that offer free hosting and I would say it's a complete waste of time and a breeding ground for spammers and abusers.

so I want only to make a huge database and after that maybe I will make it for money not free

It seems like the free hosting model is no longer effective. People who abuse the system don't want to reveal their identity by using a credit card, so they prefer to use services for free and then move on to the next hosting company once the free offer ends.

I had around 2,200 free hosting accounts, but only three of them chose to pay for a package.

It seems like the era of free hosting is over and shared hosting is not as popular as it used to be. Creating a new web hosting company in 2024 may not be worth the effort, as it's easier to just set up a VPS for a few dollars than sign up for hosting.

• @ivlad said:

@mmo25821 said:

@ivlad said:

so I want only to make a huge database and after that maybe I will make it for money not free

It seems like the free hosting model is no longer effective. People who abuse the system don't want to reveal their identity by using a credit card, so they prefer to use services for free and then move on to the next hosting company once the free offer ends.

I had around 2,200 free hosting accounts, but only three of them chose to pay for a package.

It seems like the era of free hosting is over and shared hosting is not as popular as it used to be. Creating a new web hosting company in 2024 may not be worth the effort, as it's easier to just set up a VPS for a few dollars than sign up for hosting.

good thank you boss

• x10hosting has free directadmin, beggers can't be choosers

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@ivlad said:

@mmo25821 said:

@ivlad said:

^ + You'll mostly be handling fake Meta pages and scams on your platform.

It's time consuming and not worth it in 2024 either, there was a huge increase in free hosting users in covid, but now it has gone down.

• @mmo25821 said:

@logaritse said:
    worth if you have a good management and policies, free hosting is always attract abusers.

any advices?

start with reason why they want free hosting (tight with SLA, TOS, etc) this will be reduce from abuser signup. And the you need a bullet proof server loaded with many feature such as cloudlinux to prevent abuse and make sure everyone happy (kinda awkward lol) watch for your server capacity planning, you can't host all people but you can host a good people for free. Its only a few advices, there a lot of example how to secure your resources. CMIIW

• @BigDongLong said:
    x10hosting has free directadmin, beggers can't be choosers

X10 has been providing free hosting since the early 2000s. The company has a large clientele, which is why they still offer free hosting. However, this has come at a cost. They have experienced numerous DDOS attacks, resulting in the need to change data centers multiple times and having many IP addresses null routed or destroyed due to the significant amount of abuse.

• @logaritse said:

@mmo25821 said:

@logaritse said:

any advices?

start with reason why they want free hosting (tight with SLA, TOS, etc) this will be reduce from abuser signup. And the you need a bullet proof server loaded with many feature such as cloudlinux to prevent abuse and make sure everyone happy (kinda awkward lol) watch for your server capacity planning, you can't host all people but you can host a good people for free. Its only a few advices, there a lot of example how to secure your resources. CMIIW

i will try to make it for 1 year and test everything and i have an online employee. but i have also problem with the marketing.

• and i will check if any company want go to test with me

• like offering servers or hosting ready to use

• @mmo25821 said:
    and i will check if any company want go to test with me

As much as I already know the end of this road. I wish you the best of luck. :)

• @ivlad said: As much as I already know the end of this road. I wish you the best of luck.

>
    actually idc about losing time or money i want to test new thing in my life

• @mmo25821 said:

@ivlad said: As much as I already know the end of this road. I wish you the best of luck.

>
    actually idc about losing time or money i want to test new thing in my life

Awesome. You will definitely meet some interesting clients and you will have Some challenges. I promise you you will learn a lot

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@mmo25821 said: actually idc about losing time or money i want to test new thing in my life

Free hosing with ads injected was a popular model back in the day when people wee paying $10-20/month for a cPanel account. But today web hosting is so cheap you'll struggle to get signups.

There was also the post-to-host model, where people had to participate in a forum with threads and postings, in order to keep their accounts. The idea was that the forum would generate traffic and the ads there would pay for hosting.

At one point, there was a FreeWebHostingTalk. It eventually was closed for lack of interest a few years back. Strangely, WHT is nearly as dead but they keep it around.

Anyone else remember TheHostingTool? Talk about a lowend alternative to WHMCS...

Thanked by 2Xrmaddness Jim88
  • @raindog308 said:

@mmo25821 said: actually idc about losing time or money i want to test new thing in my life

Free hosing with ads injected was a popular model back in the day when people wee paying $10-20/month for a cPanel account. But today web hosting is so cheap you'll struggle to get signups.

There was also the post-to-host model, where people had to participate in a forum with threads and postings, in order to keep their accounts. The idea was that the forum would generate traffic and the ads there would pay for hosting.

At one point, there was a FreeWebHostingTalk. It eventually was closed for lack of interest a few years back. Strangely, WHT is nearly as dead but they keep it around.

Anyone else remember TheHostingTool? Talk about a lowend alternative to WHMCS...

Oh my gosh, I remember those days. I have used the hosting too as one of my very first whmcs alternatives. Man Have we grown from that.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited March 26

I run free hosting company. Not long, around 1 year, but here is my observations:

& start local. That way abuse is very minimal;
    & turn off php mail() and do not enable even for paying customers. There is smtp and they can use that;
    & converts 1 from 300 to paying. Less than 0.5%.
    & I have created billing system from scratch and integrated free control panel via api. No cpanel or directadmin. You want keep expenses to bare minimum, otherwise when motivation will fade (and it will) you will close your project;
    & cut corners with services but not with support. That is the only thing you can do better than others;
    & prepare to work at loss for at least 3 years. There will be no profit. The best you can do is just collect customers and sell out after 5-10 years;
    & due to custom nature of my system I have robust mechanism to delete inactive websites. Don’t waste resources.
    & people by default do not look at your services as serious business. They have default thoughts “this is free, i have no expectations for it, therefor it is crap”. Keep your stand, ignore those people. Build reputation;
    & no matter the profit, you learn almost every day if you code everything your-self. Server management skills also improves a lot;

That’s it. I do this because I’am passionate for web hosting, not for profit. Eventually I will sell out, who not, but now it is pleasure and just fun.

• JosephFJosephF Member

@Levi What's the name of your hosting service?

• instead of freehosting, why not sell very cheap hosting? That way this will avoid abusers as aforementioned above. It benefits those who actually need it.

• JosephFJosephF Member

@listerine90 said:
    instead of freehosting, why not sell very cheap hosting? That way this will avoid abusers as aforementioned above. It benefits those who actually need it.

Can you quantify what constitutes as being "cheap"?

Thanked by 1kevinds
  • kevindskevinds Member, LIR

It is an interesting marketplace...

One of the non-profits I was involved with looked for free hosting for a while to use the domain I got for them..

Could not find anything suitable to replace their current x.wordpress.com site.

One of the free ones, we suspended your page due to high traffic, at a time when the domain wasn't pointed at it..

A low-cost paid service that I found here ended up costing much more than the advertised price.

Ads injected would have been a no-go. But they would also never become a paying customer.

The closest one I found would only accept US registered non-profits, no exceptions for equivalent paperwork from another country.

I didn't want it on my servers just because I didn't have a suitable control panel at the time, gladly would have given them a VPS but they wouldn't have the people to properly manage it after I moved on.

In the end I used a Cloudflare page rule to redirect their domain to the x.wordpress.com site.

• @Levi said: I have created billing system from scratch and integrated free control panel via api. No cpanel or directadmin. You want keep expenses to bare minimum, otherwise when motivation will fade (and it will) you will close your

can u show it to me or if u can give one

• @kevinds said:

One of the non-profits I was involved with looked for free hosting for a while to use the domain I got for them..

One of the free ones, we suspended your page due to high traffic, at a time when the domain wasn't pointed at it..

A low-cost paid service that I found here ended up costing much more than the advertised price.

Ads injected would have been a no-go. But they would also never become a paying customer.

The closest one I found would only accept US registered non-profits, no exceptions for equivalent paperwork from another country.

I didn't want it on my servers just because I didn't have a suitable control panel at the time, gladly would have given them a VPS but they wouldn't have the people to properly manage it after I moved on.

In the end I used a Cloudflare page rule to redirect their domain to the x.wordpress.com site.

great bro

• @mmo25821 said:

@kevinds said:

great bro

debian thx bro

• @VPSensational said:

@mmo25821 said:

@kevinds said:

great bro

debian thx bro

welcome centos

• matey0matey0 Member

@Levi said: Eventually I will sell out, who not, but now it is pleasure and just fun.

How do you plan to sell out and how much are you looking to earn? Just want to get an idea what n free-tier customers are worth to buyers these days.

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

@mmo25821 said:
    really no joke

i want to make a free website hosting (Cpanel) with google ads or something like this its worth to go or not and any help how to do it? and its legal?

We Offer Free hosting to Charities Must Provide Charity Number and startups for the 1st 6 Months (Company Reg Number must be provided)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@KuJoe was the kind of free hosting for a while - he even wrote a book on it.

@ElliotJ ran a free wordpress site which I think was called Gatsby.