Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IX ports on LINX, AMS-IX and DE-CIX connected to dedicated server or VM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IX ports on LINX, AMS-IX and DE-CIX connected to dedicated server or VM

Hi there community,

Currently I have a dedicated server in London and a 1G remote IX service on LINX.

I was looking to expand to AMS-IX and DE-CIX but sadly my provider told me they have paused offering services on AMS-IX and can only offer a 10G service on DE-CIX with dedicated cross connect as they don't have spare capacity.

I think my requirements are pretty simple...

• I need dedicated 4 CPU cores, either a VM or a dedicated server
  • 25G disk space, preferably SSD
  • 2 x IPv4 addresses and /64 IPv6 range with umetered 1G
  • Ability to upload my own ISO and install my own OS via VM webui or IPMI
  • Separate unmetered 1G ethernet interface for the IX, I don't mind if the IX is delivered over a VLAN on the interface; alternatively a VLAN on a single 10G interface which the IP's are on

As one can deduce, I am peering as close to the exchange as possible and tunneling traffic back to my network.

I'm currently paying £120.00 for the LINX port (incl membership fee), £50 for a E3-1240 v5 dedicated server with a 240Gb SSD and £1 for the extra IPv4 address.

Can anyone recommend providers that can assist me with a service like this?

Thanked by 1helloitsmeagain

Comments

• AthorioAthorio Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 25

theres providers / cooperations for kleyrex & locix, maybe could be helpful for you?

• nkukardnkukard Member

@Athorio said:
    theres providers / cooperations for kleyrex & locix, maybe could be helpful for you?

It would need to be AMS-IX and/or DE-CIX, I'm also open to large exchanges in USA.

Biggest issue I've found is finding a company willing to offer me a dedicated server (or even a VM) that is connected to the exchange.

"ix vm" in google

vserver.site
    securebit
    serveperso

we are aware of

Thanked by 1helloitsmeagain
  • kaitkait Member

@Athorio said:
    "ix vm" in google

vserver.site
    securebit
    serveperso

we are aware of

Those are all garbage, especially securebit.

Thanked by 1Athorio
  • nkukardnkukard Member

Thanks so much so far for your recommendations guys, its very much appreciated. I'll provide some feedback of this adventure when I have more feedback from the providers mentioned. :)

@kait said:

@Athorio said:
    "ix vm" in google

vserver.site
    securebit
    serveperso

we are aware of

Yeah bandwidth is very limited, mostly a bottleneck on those vms. Also we had multihoming issues with securebit, which never got solved.

• kaitkait Member

@Athorio said:

@kait said:

@Athorio said:
    "ix vm" in google

vserver.site
    securebit
    serveperso

we are aware of

Yeah bandwidth is very limited, mostly a bottleneck on those vms. Also we had multihoming issues with securebit, which never got solved.

Only person I can recommend is iFog (as long as you don't mind lowend servers)

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

We would be able to help you get onto AMS-IX and DE-CIX through a partner ...

Can you please send me a DM if you are not yet fulfilled with the capacities you would like? There's more specifics to discuss.. would you prefer for example two servers: one in NL for AMS-IX, one in DE for DE-CIX, or have one backhaul to the other country?

Thanked by 1v3ng
  • nkukardnkukard Member

Only person I can recommend is iFog (as long as you don't mind lowend servers)

I'm currently pushing up to 200Mbit/s to/from LINX with a total of about 50TB per month, I've emailed them nonetheless to see if they can help with 1Gbit/s.

• kaitkait Member

@nkukard said: I'm currently pushing up to 200Mbit/s to/from LINX with a total of about 50TB per month, I've emailed them nonetheless to see if they can help with 1Gbit/s.

The person who replied above you, Ricky, he is also great.

• 0xbkt0xbkt Member
    edited March 26

I am just naively curious: why would one need a VM with a dedicated connection to an IX? Is it because they do an heavy exchange of traffic (maybe couple Gbps sustained 7/24) with one of the participant networks in that same IX? Why not use the same connection that hosting network provides?

• nkukardnkukard Member

@0xbkt said:
    I am just naively curious: why would one need a VM with a dedicated connection to an IX? Is it because they do an heavy exchange of traffic (maybe couple Gbps sustained 7/24) with one of the participant networks in that same IX? Why not use the same connection that hosting network provides?

I'd exceed 1G on a single interface. I mean a single 10G interface would also work.

• techdragontechdragon Member
    edited March 26

@nkukard said:
    Hi there community,

Currently I have a dedicated server in London and a 1G remote IX service on LINX.

I was looking to expand to AMS-IX and DE-CIX but sadly my provider told me they have paused offering services on AMS-IX and can only offer a 10G service on DE-CIX with dedicated cross connect as they don't have spare capacity.

I think my requirements are pretty simple...

• I need dedicated 4 CPU cores, either a VM or a dedicated server
    • 25G disk space, preferably SSD
    • 2 x IPv4 addresses and /64 IPv6 range with umetered 1G
    • Ability to upload my own ISO and install my own OS via VM webui or IPMI
    • Separate unmetered 1G ethernet interface for the IX, I don't mind if the IX is delivered over a VLAN on the interface; alternatively a VLAN on a single 10G interface which the IP's are on

As one can deduce, I am peering as close to the exchange as possible and tunneling traffic back to my network.

I'm currently paying £120.00 for the LINX port (incl membership fee), £50 for a E3-1240 v5 dedicated server with a 240Gb SSD and £1 for the extra IPv4 address.

Seems a fair price for the CPU. How much RAM? Would you be willing to share the provider?

Sorry for not having much to contribute in regards to your question.

• nkukardnkukard Member

Seems a fair price for the CPU. How much RAM? Would you be willing to share the provider?

Sorry for not having much to contribute in regards to your question.

Current dedi I have has 32G , I only need 8G.

Thanked by 1techdragon