Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Cloud Storage Project: Share Your Opinions!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Cloud Storage Project: Share Your Opinions!

Hello dear friends of the Lowendtalk forum,

I am in the process of developing a cloud storage project, based on the Amazon S3 standard, my goal is to create an effective cloud storage solution suitable for diverse user needs. To achieve this, it is extremely important to clearly understand your storage requirements and desires. For that reason, I want to survey opinions from the community to collect necessary information to help my project best serve everyone's needs.

1. Current cloud storage provider: Which cloud storage provider are you using? What made you choose that supplier?

2. Purpose of use: For what purpose do you usually use cloud storage services like S3? For example, storing website data, backing up, or storing analytical data, etc.

3. Storage Needs: How much cloud storage do you need on average for your work? This helps us better understand the workload and the data that needs to be stored.

4. Expected cost: What is your desired cost per TB of storage per month? This price helps us consider a pricing model that suits the user's needs and ability to pay.

5. Suggestions for storage services: Is there anything you would like to add or change about current cloud storage services to make them more suitable for your needs? Any comments on new features, performance improvements or payment models, etc. are appreciated.

I understand that each person has unique requirements and expectations when it comes to cloud storage services, and your information will be a valuable asset in helping us design the best solution. Please take a moment to share with us, every opinion is appreciated and carefully considered.

Thank you everyone for your time. We look forward to your feedback to help us create the best cloud storage service possible.

Best regards,

Comments

• plumbergplumberg Veteran

What is it that you plan to provide different / value add on top of what Amazon S3 offers?

Thanked by 1techdragon
  • What will you use for backend?

• @plumberg said:
    What is it that you plan to provide different / value add on top of what Amazon S3 offers?

I aim to provide a product with flat or predictable costs. Output bandwidth costs will be reduced or eliminated.

@ddorian43 said:
    What will you use for backend?

The backend is still built from traditional components such as CPU, RAM, DISK. Built in a distributed model for storage, redundancy and load balancing.

• It's going to be hard to compete against players such as Wasabi with 1TB for less than $7/month.

• @SharedGrid said:
    It's going to be hard to compete against players such as Wasabi with 1TB for less than $7/month.

In my estimation, a price per TB lower than Wasabi's $7/TB is feasible. In your opinion, what should be the reasonable price per TB?

@onezetta said:

@plumberg said:

I aim to provide a product with flat or predictable costs. Output bandwidth costs will be reduced or eliminated.

AWS provides predictable costs based on the usage. How do you plan to compete against AWS itself when you will be charged egress by AWS at all times?

Not asking to divulge trade secrets, but, general info.

• @onezetta said:

@SharedGrid said:
    It's going to be hard to compete against players such as Wasabi with 1TB for less than $7/month.

In my estimation, a price per TB lower than Wasabi's $7/TB is feasible. In your opinion, what should be the reasonable price per TB?

30 cents

• JasonMJasonM Member

free data transfer in/out is required.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@plumberg said: AWS provides predictable costs based on the usage. How do you plan to compete against AWS itself when you will be charged egress by AWS at all times?

He said using the S3 standard. I don't think he means hosting the project on AWS.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • bgerardbgerard Member

@ddorian43 said:
    What will you use for backend?

The backend is still built from traditional components such as CPU, RAM, DISK. Built in a distributed model for storage, redundancy and load balancing.

What does this even mean? You're just going to deploy a ha minio cluster and try to sell it I guess. You'd need to beat $6/TB to compete with B2 or offer unlimited egress to compete with R2. But you'd need scale to be able to do that.

• muddymuddy Member

For my needs, I use iDrive e2 for storing backups. I don't really need speed or high availability/multi-region replication/etc. I'm just looking for cheap storage that isn't overly slow. Other people looking for S3 compatible storage may be more interested in speed/availability and less concerned with cost.

It seems as though you may need to decide on which end of that spectrum you will target...

• @plumberg said:

@onezetta said:

@plumberg said:

AWS provides predictable costs based on the usage. How do you plan to compete against AWS itself when you will be charged egress by AWS at all times?

Not asking to divulge trade secrets, but, general info.

I bet on the development of technology. Hardware costs such as storage drives are getting cheaper with larger capacities. Transmission fees per gbps are also cheaper. At least as far as I can see the cost per gbps is 5~15 times cheaper than it was 4 years ago.

Thanked by 1techdragon
  • @johndeo983 said:

@onezetta said:

@SharedGrid said:

30 cents

The price of 30 cents per TB is really a big challenge at the moment.
    I think it could be viable in the next 5 years, but only with very large wholesale purchases.

• @JasonM said:
    free data transfer in/out is required.

Yes, I have noted your comments.
    Free input bandwidth is a must. Regarding output bandwidth, it can also be free. But is there a limit to avoid bandwidth abuse? Do you have any ideas for this limit?

• @bgerard said: What does this even mean? You're just going to deploy a ha minio cluster and try to sell it I guess. You'd need to beat $6/TB to compete with B2 or offer unlimited egress to compete with R2. But you'd need scale to be able to do that.

The Minio cluster is a good idea, I've been thinking about this for a long time, and have tested many use cases with Minio.
    But it still has many problems related to system scaling at the Petabyte level.
    In addition, software copyright issues also need to be considered. If at some point Minio becomes closed source or support costs increase. It will be difficult to continue using it.
    We finally decided to build our own source code so we could customize it to our needs.

• Maybe check seaweedfs & apache ozone and build on top.

• @muddy said: For my needs, I use iDrive e2 for storing backups. I don't really need speed or high availability/multi-region replication/etc. I'm just looking for cheap storage that isn't overly slow. Other people looking for S3 compatible storage may be more interested in speed/availability and less concerned with cost.

It seems as though you may need to decide on which end of that spectrum you will target...

The iDrive e2 seems like a good choice for the price. I feel pressured when checking their prices. I estimate it could be done for the same price or a little cheaper. Will research them more closely.

• dhmodhmo Member
    edited March 25

is that storage will like Google Drive?
    or Object Storage?

or Storage VPS?

• @dhmo said:
    or Object Storage?

or Storage VPS?

@ddorian43 said:
    Maybe check seaweedfs & apache ozone and build on top.

Well thank you for the suggestion. I'm consulting about it.

• dhmodhmo Member

I mean I am asking is that VPS or similar to Google Drive.

or just object storage

• @dhmo said:
    or Object Storage?

or Storage VPS?

It is object storage. I have another project built on a similar model to Google Drive, but it is not growing as expected. Ordinary users have no reason to use services other than Google Drive because Google's ecosystem is too large (Gmail, Workspace, Youtube....etc)

• techdragontechdragon Member
    edited March 25

If you are using S3 then my thoughts are it's a dime a dozen and overly saturated market made up of a lot of MSPs (who have deep pockets for client acquisition).

You need a very clear USP, do you have one?

• bgerardbgerard Member

@ddorian43 said:
    Maybe check seaweedfs & apache ozone and build on top.

+1 for seaweedfs should be no problem

• bgerardbgerard Member

@onezetta said:

@dhmo said:
    or Object Storage?

or Storage VPS?

It is object storage. I have another project built on a similar model to Google Drive, but it is not growing as expected. Ordinary users have no reason to use services other than Google Drive because Google's ecosystem is too large (Gmail, Workspace, Youtube....etc)

I feel like this project will also have the same outcome unfortunately. There's too many players with way more resources, unless you can offer something really unique

• fayaz90fayaz90 Member

Backblaze with cloudflare unlimited bandwidth

• dhmodhmo Member

@onezetta said:

@dhmo said:
    or Object Storage?

or Storage VPS?

then I'll suggest scalable object storage.

they can only buy how many they need. no overpay

its maybe someone wants

and api access

• listerine90listerine90 Member
    edited March 25

I definitely feel like Backblaze like prizing with cloudflare egress pricing would be the best of both worlds.

Although I am fine with per terabyte billing as long as it is pay-as-you-use and not commitment plan or something.

• @techdragon said:
    If you are using S3 then my thoughts are it's a dime a dozen and overly saturated market made up of a lot of MSPs (who have deep pockets for client acquisition).

You need a very clear USP, do you have one?

@bgerard said:

@onezetta said:

@dhmo said:
    or Object Storage?

or Storage VPS?

I feel like this project will also have the same outcome unfortunately. There's too many players with way more resources, unless you can offer something really unique

I'm developing a cloud storage project using S3 as the core platform, with myself as an early adopter. The goal is to use the platform to support other projects I have going on. By becoming the first customer of the project itself, I can convert infrastructure rental costs from other service providers to my system, which is expected to save a lot of money. significantly. These savings will be reinvested in project expansion, including implementing promotional campaigns and providing discounts to attract new customers to this S3 project.

Thanked by 1techdragon
  • TekoTeko Member

My expectations:

1. Unlimited storage as Deep Atlantic Storage
    2. IPv9 support
    Thanked by 1lanefu

@onezetta what level of durability/ availability you plan to provide? How much redundancy will be available to ensure that level of durability/ availability?