Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rclone help - Checksum file for each file in folder?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

rclone help - Checksum file for each file in folder?

lordnascloudlordnascloud Member
edited March 24 in Help

Hi, please advise with rclone What command should I use to create and save file with a checksum for each file separately?

For example there are 100 files in a directory, I want to create a checksum for each file separately. So now there will be 200 files in the directory.

Thank you very much.

Comments

• johndeo983johndeo983 Member
    edited March 24

You can achieve this using the rclone hash command along with the --checksum option. Here's the command:

rclone hash --checksum

Explanation:

• rclone: This is the rclone command itself.
    • hash: This subcommand tells rclone to calculate checksums for the files.
    • --checksum: This option instructs rclone to generate a separate checksum file for each source file.
    • <source>: This represents the source directory containing the files for which you want to generate checksums.
    • <destination>: This represents the destination directory where rclone will store the original files and their corresponding checksum files.

Example:

Suppose you have a directory named "data" containing 100 files and you want to create checksum files for each file in a directory named "data_with_checksums". You can use the following command:

rclone hash --checksum data data_with_checksums

This command will copy all the files from "data" to "data_with_checksums" and create a separate checksum file for each original file. The checksum file will have the same name as the original file with a ".sha1" (or ".md5" depending on the configured hash) extension appended to it.

Note:

• By default, rclone uses SHA1 for checksums. You can specify a different hashing algorithm using the --hash option. For example, to use MD5, you can use the following command:

rclone hash --checksum --hash MD5 data data_with_checksums

I hope this helps!

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited March 24

@johndeo983 said:

I hope this helps!

You mean AI hopes this helps :wink:

Thanked by 1Swiftnode
  • @lordnascloud said: Hi, please advise with rclone What command should I use to create and save file with a checksum for each file separately?

For example there are 100 files in a directory, I want to create a checksum for each file separately. So now there will be 200 files in the directory.

You can use the command rclone hashsum to create checksums for each file separately.
    These checksums will be saved in a separate file for each original file in the directory.