Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low end server brainstorming - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low end server brainstorming

2»

Comments

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2012

this

I messed up the href tag :)

• AmfyAmfy Member

@prometeus: Maybe also interested... - how is it in Italy with freedom of speech?

well, you have a lot of freedom... until a judge decide to put you off :)
    Just joking, there is a lot of politicians that would love to have more deeper control on the internet (for the "security" of us all) and there are discussions on laws that will go in this direction...

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited March 2012

Would not care to pay for a single hard drive server...

That is why I go with VPSs versus OVH's Atom server, is because of no dual hard drives or RAID1 configuration.

2x HDDs in RAID1 on those specs? Then heck yeah.

• I would pay around $25 for this

• nocomnocom Member

@prometeus what's happening with server brainstorming any final plans?
    server like this+bandwith10TB+how much IP=$ discount maybe for two serv?

• @nocom He would be loosing money on every server and you want two with a discount?

I ordered the first 2015TA-HTRF, it require 10-14 days to be delivered so I should have the first 8 servers available in two weeks.
    At present the idea is:
    Atom D525 dual core 1.8ghz
    4GB RAM
    1 x HDD 500GB
    15TB Bw
    1 IPv4

€29/$39

same with 2x500GB HDD and /29 IPv4 (5 ip usable) with RIPE justification
    €35/$46

• tuxtux Member

Better deal: AMD Opteron 1218, 4 GB RAM, 2x320 GB HDD, 4 TB BW only 29 € (with code hidden-opteron1218) from layeredlink.com

• tuxtux Member

@liam said: @tux That's in Germany (possibly hetzner) we're talking about Italia!

Yes, they colo in Hetzner in Germany.

• What would be the advantage of using a server in Italy over a server in Germany?

• KairusKairus Member
    edited March 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: What would be the advantage of using a server in Italy over a server in Germany?

The food is better?

Probably nothing, but I guess it all depends on the provider (quality of service) and the network of the datacenter. Laws probably differ a bit?

• nocomnocom Member

http://www.robtex.com/route/195.88.4.0-23---prometeus-ro.html
    Traceroute
    Los Angeles 159.569 ms 159.714 ms 160.928 ms
    AS21769 177.409 ms 177.550 ms 177.652 ms
    Fran Tech Canada 167.668 ms 167.227 ms 167.150 ms
    Washington 164.245 ms 164.151 ms 163.766 ms
    Chile 236 ms 235 ms 243 ms
    New Zealand 298.302 ms 298.726 ms 318.089 ms
    Indonesia 242.3 244.1 242.1 248.1
    Ok for me, consistent network and speed

I'll reply in a while, just fighting another nasty ddos :(

• tuxtux Member

@liam said: You also get triple the bandwidth and on new hardware.

But Atom D525 vs Opteron 1218. I think that Opteron win this competition.

• JacobJacob Member

Opteron beats the atom, even if it is new. However i would pick prometeus anyday. He knows his stuff.

Thanked by 2prometeus NanoG6

I'm back :) It's a 300Mbps udp flood originating from some secured servers ip. One node suffered a bit and I had to filter the ip on the border, but traffic is still caming...

Back to the post...
    I don't think we can or should compete with every offer in the market and you can find some better deal every day. As I told the service should be affordable but reliable :)
    The hardware I choose isn't a no name brand and the twin came with double power and each server can use up to 3 2.5 hdd (must test the onboard "raid" )

While looking at this I'm also evaluating at some e3 e5 offer (using the supermicro microcloud) :)

• @prometeus said: originating from some secured servers ip

66.85.166.92?

All from this network:

NetRange:       108.170.0.0 - 108.170.63.255
    CIDR:           108.170.0.0/18
    OriginAS:       AS20454, AS32164
    NetName:        SS8
    NetHandle:      NET-108-170-0-0-1
    Parent:         NET-108-0-0-0-0
    NetType:        Direct Allocation

• It should be noted that the Atoms do not have VT, so usable virtualization will be difficult. Other than that, rock on!

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited March 2012

@quirkyquark said: It should be noted that the Atoms do not have VT, so usable virtualization will be difficult. Other than that, rock on!

Some time ago we had this

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/onedollarvps-3quarter-128mb-openvz-vps-in-uk/

Pretty atoms hehe.

About the opterons, yeah, sounds great, but they use more power. ( @prometeus 80 plus FTW!)

@liam it seems so...

@nocom thanks.

@quirkyquark I know :) Will let you know about the E3 offering.

@yomero I liked the idea of the supermicro twin to stuff 8 small complete servers in a 2U with redundant power ;)

• @yomero said: Some time ago we had this

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/onedollarvps-3quarter-128mb-openvz-vps-in-uk/

ROFL! I'm surprised more yobbos with their Kimsufi 2Gs haven't tried this scam...

• @quirkyquark said: ROFL! I'm surprised more yobbos with their Kimsufi 2Gs haven't tried this scam...

I got one and it was ok. Then it went to crap (like an... Alien comapny around... sorry rage).

But AFAIK this wasn't Kimsufi, because this was in UK and they had 4GB

http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/431826

• i'm in for the $46 offer. I already have a vps with them. Great connectivity inside Italy and this morning during the ddos all i noticed was a small (less than 2%) packet loss.

@marrco said: all i noticed was a small (less than 2%) packet loss.

I was lucky in this case, I had the sflow collector window open while I was working so I noticed the anomaly and started fighting. In the evening the same target ip got around 200K pps for a few minutes (caming from china), so I temporally suspended the VPS and contacted the client...