Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Longest outage you experienced?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Longest outage you experienced?

dallascaodallascao Member
edited March 22 in Outages

Racknerd's Strasbourg servers are still down after 19 hours:-)

https://status.racknerd.com/

I have two VPSes on the same node which is affected.

There was reportedly a water leakage that disrupted a UPS room.

Nothing to complain. Accidents happen and my services are not affected as I am just using the two servers to keep database replicas, but this is probably the longest outage I have experienced.

The last one was a power outage in London that affected my VPS at vultr.com

Always implement redundancy and fail-over (NOT AT THE SAME LOCATION) when providing a serious service.

Comments

• kheng86kheng86 Member

Virmach VPS in AMS, more than 2 months and counting :D

• NanjaNanja Member

I used to get a lot of small vps and they suddenly go down and their websites go down and nobody can contact the owners. That is longest outage I ever experience and it's been several years. It happens less now that the providers tag exist. Does this count as outage?

• MoopahMoopah Member

My HostSolutions VPS is still down, it's been several years.

• @Moopah said:

Then the physical machine is possibly gone!

• @Nanja said:
    I used to get a lot of small vps and they suddenly go down and their websites go down and nobody can contact the owners. That is longest outage I ever experience and it's been several years. It happens less now that the providers tag exist. Does this count as outage?

No:-) that's scam.

• @Nanja said:

You've been deadpooled my friend.

Thanked by 1dallascao
  • JorboxJorbox Member

@Moopah said:

Gone with the data 😂

• jobayerjobayer Member

Hosthatch non promo vps: around 10 hours.
    Contabo: around 4 hours

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@dallascao said:

https://status.racknerd.com/

I have two VPSes on the same node which is affected.

There was reportedly a water leakage that disrupted a UPS room.

Nothing to complain. Accidents happen and my services are not affected as I am just using the two servers to keep database replicas, but this is probably the longest outage I have experienced.

The last one was a power outage in London that affected my VPS at vultr.com

Always implement redundancy and fail-over (NOT AT THE SAME LOCATION) when providing a serious service.

Hi @dallascao -- This is indeed an extended outage we are facing in Strasbourg - one that is quite rare, and unfortunately out of our control. I'd like to note that this issue is only impacting a specific floor within the DataDock facility, and we have about a dozen physical servers located on the affected floor. Thankfully, we still have ~70% of our Strasbourg footprint online (located throughout the other floors). However, I know that this information does not alleviate the challenges you're currently facing, as it's evident that your services are hosted on the affected floor (side note: perhaps once things are back online, you can DM me and we can work together to diversify and ensure your VPS's are hosted on different host nodes). The good news is that all servers and data is safe — it's just a matter of time before the power can be energized again. As of now, the latest update we got was that electrical contractors are still assessing the damage to the electrical infrastructure and are working to identify how to safely restore power for the affected floor.

In the spirit of transparency, below are links to other discussions/status incidents of other providers operating within the DataDock facility that seem to be affected as well. For those curious, you can follow the updates from these unrelated providers through the following URLs:

https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1915340
    https://status.plusserver.com/incidents/s6lzkwsc3tbj
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Hosting/comments/1bk3wog/server4you_down/

In addition to status updates that we'll be providing via our own status page, I figured I'd also share these other links from unrelated providers within the same DataDock SXB facility, as I understand that some users prefer to gather and validate information from multiple sources. Ultimately though, the reality is that we are all relaying the information we receive from DataDock, so I'd imagine all information to be more or less the same (except one may be faster than another to relay updates, or vice versa). On our side, we're doing our best to relay updates on our own status page as soon as we get them. Fingers crossed that it won't be much longer from here :)

• shruubshruub Member

@Moopah said:

You might want to consider a refund and switching to more repputable providers like HXservers.

• kheng86kheng86 Member

@shruub said:

@Moopah said:

You might want to consider a refund and switching to more repputable providers like HXservers.

Thanks for your feedback

Thanked by 3niranjan emgh iKeyZ
  • Dedipath.

Thanked by 2longkat Ed_Chd
  • rcy026rcy026 Member

I had a nat vps with a provider where ipv6 did not work at all on that location for something like 6 months, despite repeated tickets and promises. Since it was a nat vps the ipv6 was the only way to access it so I considered it down, the provider did not.
    Gave up on waiting and asked the provider to move it to a location with working ipv6, that solved it.

• atun88atun88 Member

24+ hours and counting. No ETA or anything. Its like My Ex waiting for reply after her apology message

• raza19raza19 Veteran

leaseweb! yes thats right even the giants fail. for over a month.

• Racknerd Strasbourg still down. And im on their yearly. I hope they offer any refunds. Its been barely a month. Would move in a heart beat. My start up is greatly affect by racknerd

Thanked by 1commercial
  • Same situation here, and no information on the deadlines to communicate to my customers ...
    26 hours is a long time ...

Otherwise the worst was with Virmach, two months :p It was a little different, because with a dev VPS ...

• My ONIX IXP VM from Cloudie, it's going 23 days now, no update on ticket opened 23 days ago.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

My dialup Internet has been offline for 16 years and counting.
    First the modem got damaged by lightning.
    Then the cat ate the telephone wire.
    Afterwards the phone company got bankrupt.
    Finally the house burned down because someone played fireworks in the basement.

• mad_4umad_4u Member

C1Vhosting 1 week and i give up transferred the vps to other person.

if few days i would accept if the provider is good and it doesn't happen often but if something keeps repeating then no good.

I have one vps in France with Racknerd currently down but since they are aware of the issue i can wait.

• rcy026rcy026 Member

@hassancent said:
    Racknerd Strasbourg still down. And im on their yearly. I hope they offer any refunds. Its been barely a month. Would move in a heart beat. My start up is greatly affect by racknerd

If your company is greatly affected by downtime, you should not rely on a single lowend provider.

Thanked by 2OhJohn techdragon
  • @rcy026 said:

@hassancent said:
    Racknerd Strasbourg still down. And im on their yearly. I hope they offer any refunds. Its been barely a month. Would move in a heart beat. My start up is greatly affect by racknerd

If your company is greatly affected by downtime, you should not rely on a single lowend provider.

Not really a company. Just started a start up. It was getting popular. I was gona buy better servers if it reached > 20k visitors daily. But downtime made me lose out on customers

• KrisKris Member

Personally starting to think my DelimiterVPS stuff isn't gonna come back online, but some hope...

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • MoopahMoopah Member

@Kris said:
    Personally starting to think my DelimiterVPS stuff isn't gonna come back online, but some hope...

Never give up hope. I still have hope my HostSolutions, AlphaRacks, and Dedipath VPS are still alive and kicking somewhere. I just need to find them.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • jtkjtk Member

@dallascao said:

19 hours is nothing. I see systems go unavailable for longer than that regularly. The two most obnoxious, unrelated extended outage events I can recall were more than 3 months. One from a former a provider that no longer visits these forums and the other from a now defunct provider that was fairly well known for providing KR hosting.

Thanked by 1techdragon
  • bjobjo Member

cucio: A long time
    Hosthatch Stockholm: some days

• Racknerd's Strasbourg servers will be down for the week-end and more, from their last update ...
    My bad, my registrar's login is with an email of one of these hosted domains, can't process it, and can't setup some email forwarding strategy ;p
    Lesson learned ;)

• @dallascao said:

Mine is up
    Lol error to get two i'm same location

• matey0matey0 Member

Very insightful thread, extended downtime is more common than I thought.
    I think we can all learn from this to do regular, deployable, backups for "critical lowend" servers (critical enough to not tolerate multiple days of downtime - not critical enough to warrant throwing a lot of money at).
    Also helps to have an alternative provider planned out so the backup can be deployed quickly.

• @hassancent said:

@rcy026 said:

@hassancent said:

Not really a company. Just started a start up. It was getting popular. I was gona buy better servers if it reached > 20k visitors daily. But downtime made me lose out on customers

Again it's more about redundancy and fail-over than better servers. Always have a fail-over in place no matter how "good" or expensive the provider is.