Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What purpose do spam sign up bots serve?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What purpose do spam sign up bots serve?

raza19raza19 Veteran

My team and I have been working on a storefront/ ecommerce store. Recently we took it online and immediately noticed a plethora of fake sign ups with fake emails being generated with spam bots. We had to immediately turn on google's recaptcha to avoid getting any penalty on our email/ip reputation.

But I am curious, what purpose do these spam sign up bots actually serve? Having an account on this storefront is useless unless you want to buy something from the store. Why are they wasting their resources with this stupid activity? Or is this a result of some bot running on hacked servers ? Are they trying to hack our system with these fake sign ups? Can anyone plz share their experience about this?

p.s. with the recaptcha the fake sign ups seem to have stopped

Comments

• EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider

It's usually because they'll attempt to add links on a profile somewhere, i.e. for traffic generation purposes.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't depending on what kind of options are available when they login.

Or it's sometimes for vulnerability scanning.

• matey0matey0 Member
    edited March 21

Probably SEO/advertising spam bots. If you've ever been on some website and seen random comments advertising and linking to some unrelated product or website, those kinds of bots.
    Doubt those kinds of comments have much real advertising value so I guess they do it for backlinks.

Btw I and many others hate ReCaptcha with a passion because it will create unsolvable captchas for users with bad IP score (VPNs, Tor, ...). It's so disrespectful to the user to have them solve 5+ captchas and just keep giving them a new one indefinitely. Ironically, professional captcha solving services used by spammers have no issue solving ReCaptchas for a fraction of a cent.
    Cloudflare Turnstile is less privacy invasive and I haven't had issues with it. Should work similarly well for your purpose so please consider switching to it.