Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many VPS required to build and learn Kubernetes ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many VPS required to build and learn Kubernetes ?

bustersgbustersg Member

I need to learn Redhat Openshift and would like to start/learn from scratch.
How many VPS(s) do I need to subscribe to build a minimum cluster? e.g., 1(master)+2(node)?

Comments

• You could go as low as a single node which contains your master and worker. I would probably go for 2 masters and 1 worker if you're working on learning Openshift. The 2 masters gives you chance to setup, break and troubleshoot the master components and setup things such as a multi member etcd HA database.

If you want more than 1 worker then you can remove the taint from one or both of the master nodes to act as workers also. I think that gives you a nice balance to allow you to learn and keep the costs down.

You could also go for 1 master and 1 worker, and again, remove the taint from the master so you can 2 workers. I passed my CKA 2 weeks ago and most of the exam environments were setup this way.

Thanked by 1bustersg
  • ehabehab Member

on your local machine for learning use

k3d

after you are confident to talk with any woman then 3 nodes + master using k3s will make you feel like a man.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • One VPS or one Laptop.
    Linux + KVM or Debian + Proxmox.

• @lowendtalkxdax said:
    One VPS or one Laptop.
    Linux + KVM or Debian + Proxmox.

but is that close to a reality simulation?
    i mean like shouldn't there be a master node + 1 child node at least?
    for example, test master connection with child etc.. if both on 1 vps, pretty much will sure work, right? (localhost all within itself)

• edited March 20

You can spin up multiple small VMs as you parent/children. And give them a private IP each, e.g. within 172.16.0.0/12 or 10.0.0.0/8.

Proxmox even has a SDN so you don’t need a separate VM router anymore.

And Proxmox can be easily installed on Debian 12.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Zero. Use Virtualbox on your local PC. Build as many VPSes as you like, whatever network architecture you want, etc.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@bustersg said:
    How many VPS(s) do I need to subscribe to build a minimum cluster? e.g., 1(master)+2(node)?

https://hostadvice.com/how-to/web-hosting/ubuntu/how-to-set-up-kubernetes-in-ubuntu/

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member

• @dev_vps said:

@bustersg said:

https://hostadvice.com/how-to/web-hosting/ubuntu/how-to-set-up-kubernetes-in-ubuntu/

thanks for the guide and i read it need 2 vps under "Must Haves:"
    1 of my aim actually is to experience -> Step 5: Join a node

• bustersgbustersg Member
    edited March 20

@raindog308 said:
    Zero. Use Virtualbox on your local PC. Build as many VPSes as you like, whatever network architecture you want, etc.

will consider this local setup $0
    vs
    $12/yr for a 1core VPS but save all the setup hassle and readily avail 24/7 for testing.

• im actually looking to buy racknerd 1gb/1core vps to run kubernetes MASTER.
    kubernetes.io says 2gb ram or more and 2core cpu but i believe it will still run nicely for a test bed right?

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited March 20

@bustersg said:
    im actually looking to buy racknerd 1gb/1core vps to run kubernetes MASTER.
    kubernetes.io says 2gb ram or more and 2core cpu but i believe it will still run nicely for a test bed right?

Consider getting a nice Ryzen based (or similar powerful cpu) VPS with 2 vCore and 4 gb RAM

Contact
    @crunchbits @rsk @labze @HostEONS

Thanked by 1rsk
  • bootboot Member

Probably seven.

• get 1 VPS with enough resource.
    With minikube you can run both master and worker node. It's quite different from actual implementation, but if you try to figure out how kubenetes works this is the best minimum resource you can use.

Or if you want to build proper infrastructure, 3 VMs (1 master, 2 workers)

But if you want to try close to real environtment use GKE or EKS

Thanked by 1bustersg
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited March 20

@bustersg said:

@dev_vps said:

@bustersg said:

thanks for the guide and i read it need 2 vps under "Must Haves:"
    1 of my aim actually is to experience -> Step 5: Join a node

This is a great course at Udemy for Kubernetes.
    Highly recommended
    https://www.udemy.com/course/rapida-introducao-ao-orquestrador-de-containers-kubernetes/?couponCode=LETSLEARNNOWPP

• sassliksasslik Member

All of them.

• wotetiwoteti Member

@raindog308 said:

This is where OP is smarter than you.

With local setup, if something is messed up and OP has to start over, then he has to rebuild the vm's by hand himself.

With a $12/yr vps service, he can ask the provider to do it for him. And if they refuse, create a dispute drama thread on LET.

Thanked by 1lanefu
  • FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

Looks like I've got a friend.

➜  ~ kubectl get nodes -o wide
    NAME           STATUS   ROLES           AGE   VERSION   INTERNAL-IP     EXTERNAL-IP   OS-IMAGE             KERNEL-VERSION       CONTAINER-RUNTIME
    k8s-master01   Ready    control-plane   10h   v1.29.2   A.B.C.4   <none>        Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS   5.15.0-101-generic   containerd://1.7.2
    k8s-master02   Ready    control-plane   10h   v1.29.2   A.B.C.5   <none>        Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS   5.15.0-101-generic   containerd://1.7.2
    k8s-worker01   Ready    <none>          10h   v1.29.2   A.B.C.6   <none>        Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS   5.15.0-101-generic   containerd://1.7.2
    k8s-worker02   Ready    <none>          10h   v1.29.2   A.B.C.7   <none>        Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS   5.15.0-101-generic   containerd://1.7.2
    k8s-worker03   Ready    <none>          10h   v1.29.2   A.B.C.8   <none>        Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS   5.15.0-101-generic   containerd://1.7.2
    k8s-worker04   Ready    <none>          10h   v1.29.2   A.B.C.9   <none>        Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS   5.15.0-101-generic   containerd://1.7.2