Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows vps: no internet
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows vps: no internet

seenuseenu Member

Hello,
can anyone help me with this?

i have installed windows on a vps and i am able to connect with vnc and rdp

but the vps can't connect with outside i.e. google etc.

it says problem in ethernet configuration.

provider said they provided only templates and can't help much with it.

anyone faced such situation? can anyone help me with this?

thanks.

Comments

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

The fact that you can connect with RDP most likely rules out VirtIO drivers, so I'd suggest you check the built in firewall

• I would check DNS and set them to 1.1.1.1 1.0.0.1 as most likely this is the issue

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

Strange that RDP is working while websites do not, most likely it is DNS misconfiguration as others said.

However, the most reliable way to fix Windows network issues is network settings reset and manual IPv4/IPv6 configuration. As of my experience, sometimes there is something going wrong in Windows and it is impossible to troubleshoot.

• Just295Just295 Member

Thanked by 1shruub
  • Search youtube you will find many video

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@seenu said:

provider said they provided only templates and can't help much with it.

I always install Linux based OS first and write down all network settings.

Then install Windows and connect with VNC. Now make changes in network settings to match earlier with Linux.

Make sure to enable RDP settings in Windows OS.

— I am sure right now only VNC is working and not RDP. check and confirm.

• I would check if you have:

• Active network connection for the VPS from the node.
    • Proper IP configuration.
    • DNS Configuration.
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@skorupion said:
    The fact that you can connect with RDP most likely rules out VirtIO drivers, so I'd suggest you check the built in firewall

I think he is mistaken.

He can connect with VNC …. not with RDP. Sometimes, the network settings are not configured properly by Windows OS templates. And that is the most likely reason.

1. Open CMD and ping 1.1.1.1
      If works, change DNS to 1.1.1.1 and you have internet
    2. If ping fails, you need to ask your provider about your upstream gateway and IP address.

3. If still doesn’t work you need to ask your provider to insert a virtio disk in your machine. They will know when you ask them. Install virtio drivers and try 1. - 2. again.