Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mail server, push to mobile devices similar to gmail app?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mail server, push to mobile devices similar to gmail app?

Just a quick question, is it possible to setup your own mail server that automatically pushes to mobile devices (keeping costs down obviously)

My gmail comes through to my phone and pops up on screen immediately and I was wanting my personal domain email to do the same but I've not had any joy. What I want to know is if I am wasting my time trying to configure it and if there's a reasonable priced email hosting provider that supports it?

Cheers.

Comments

• Any mail server and client with IMAP IDLE support should be able to do what you want.

If you're using Android, the k9 mail app supports this. I'm using it with a dovecot mail server and it works great.

• How about Microsoft Exchange?
    Zoho Mail supports synchronization via the Exchange protocol.

• dabtechdabtech Member
    edited January 2014

You also might want to take a look at z-push http://z-push.sourceforge.net/soswp/.

• Zimbra I think supports it

• Email Forwarding? Almost all email servers support this.

• Just using zoho mail. It's free. You can use android mail app for push notificaton.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

IMAP IDLE seconded. It's pretty much the standard.

• Z-Push is what I use. I have never had success with push IDLE, not everyone fully supports it, e.g Outlook, old Android Email app, etc.