Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

β€Ί Any way to avoid high PayPal fees?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any way to avoid high PayPal fees?

UchihaUchiha Member

If I calculate all the fees together, it would exceed 10% on every transaction, making it unreliable. Is there any way to avoid these fees from PayPal?

Comments

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

For the most part, there is no way to avoid the fees from PayPal.

• eriseris Member

Don't use it or don't sell for less then 5 dollar / month

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • davidedavide Member
    edited March 17

That is quite a fucking lot. Stripe has marginally lower fees. There is also Payoneer, I used it to receive payments and withdraw to Transferwise, which permits currency exchange at 0.6% fee.

• kvz12kvz12 Member

@davide said:
    That is quite a fucking lot. Stripe has marginally lower fees. There is also Payoneer, I used it to receive payments and withdraw to Transferwise, which permits currency exchange at 0.6% fee.

It's not called Transferwise anymore, just Wise.

• UchihaUchiha Member

@eris said: Don't use it

We can't stop using PayPal since most people in the USA prefer it for its safety features, which makes a lot of sense.

• davidedavide Member
    edited March 17

@Uchiha said:
    We can't stop using PayPal

That's the reason why fees are high. Years ago I withdrew $3000 from PayPal to SEPA and there was no way for me to avoid the $100 currency conversion fee. I did stop accepting PayPal payments that one day.

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • @Uchiha said:

@eris said: Don't use it

We can't stop using PayPal since most people in the USA prefer it for its safety features, which makes a lot of sense.

Have you thought about pledging them your first born?

Thanked by 1PineappleM
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@Uchiha said:
    If I calculate all the fees together, it would exceed 10% on every transaction, making it unreliable. Is there any way to avoid these fees from PayPal?

Do you know who is getting GST money?

• UchihaUchiha Member

@dev_vps said: Do you know who is getting GST money?

Yeah, it's the government itself

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited March 17

@Uchiha said:

@dev_vps said: Do you know who is getting GST money?

Yeah, it's the government itself

Yes, exactly
    They are making 1.3% whenever you receive international payment + withdrawal

cost of doing business πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

• PineappleMPineappleM Member
    edited March 17

Offer alternative methods of payments but add an extra processing fee for those who still choose PayPal (e.g. +5% on all PayPal payments to cover some of your processing fees). Have them pay up extra for choosing PayPal for their payment.

I'll point out that servdiscount/webtropia does this, they add a 3 euro surcharge to your bill if you choose to pay with PayPal. (I don't remember if this was a % or a fixed number though.) Using a normal credit card payment via whatever gateway they use doesn't incur the surcharge.

Another idea is to offer a small discount for payments on your native currency (which I'm assuming is INR based on the @ 18% GST) to encourage those who have credit cards w/o FX fees to pay in your native currency. Then you can dodge the FX conversion fee entirely.

• @davide said:

Payoneer you said? You'll end up with more fees than PayPal.
    Their conversation rate is hurrible. At least, that has been my experience with them.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Uchiha said:

Yes, just don't use PayPal :smiley:

• davidedavide Member

@DanSummer said:
    Payoneer you said? You'll end up with more fees than PayPal.
    Their conversation rate is hurrible. At least, that has been my experience with them.

I used to withdraw USD from Payoneer to Transferwise, exchange to EUR there, then withdraw to bank via SEPA. The fees were reasonable along the chain.

• ErisaErisa Member

@PineappleM said:
    Offer alternative methods of payments but add an extra processing fee for those who still choose PayPal (e.g. +5% on all PayPal payments to cover some of your processing fees). Have them pay up extra for choosing PayPal for their payment.

I'll point out that servdiscount/webtropia does this, they add a 3 euro surcharge to your bill if you choose to pay with PayPal. (I don't remember if this was a % or a fixed number though.) Using a normal credit card payment via whatever gateway they use doesn't incur the surcharge.

Another idea is to offer a small discount for payments on your native currency (which I'm assuming is INR based on the @ 18% GST) to encourage those who have credit cards w/o FX fees to pay in your native currency. Then you can dodge the FX conversion fee entirely.

This is great until PayPal notices youre doing it (or someone mad at your business reports you to them), because doing this is against PayPals terms and conditions.

Specifically they state:

You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • meatonmeaton Member

@Erisa said:

@PineappleM said:

This is great until PayPal notices youre doing it (or someone mad at your business reports you to them), because doing this is against PayPals terms and conditions.

Specifically they state:

You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

Add a handling fee to all products but offset the price of the service/product depending on payment method.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • JosephFJosephF Member
    edited March 17

@meaton said:

@Erisa said:

@PineappleM said:

Specifically they state:

Add a handling fee to all products but offset the price of the service/product depending on payment method.

PayPal will interpret that as being against their ToS and act accordingly, if they receive a complaint.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • conceptconcept Member

This is why I try to use Stripe/Credit Card instead of Paypal when purchasing services that are in a foreign currency. From my experience using card gives me better exchange rates and less fees than compared to Paypal.

• JosephFJosephF Member

@concept said:
    This is why I try to use Stripe/Credit Card instead of Paypal when purchasing services that are in a foreign currency. From my experience using card gives me better exchange rates and less fees than compared to Paypal.

It depends on your credit card and how your credit card provider handles foreign exchange transactions.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@Erisa said: Specifically they state:

Does that apply everywhere though? Or is it based on the country of your account?

• PineappleMPineappleM Member
    edited March 18

That ToS must be a recent change since I avoided using PayPal on servdiscount.com due to their extra PayPal surcharge. I'm not sure if the fee still exists there since they now require an account to be made to get to the payment screen.