Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for Mailcow
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for Mailcow

hey can anyone provide a vps for mailcow

only need about 20GB of space, can be slow.

$15USD per year

Comments

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

AMD EPYC1 7443P MILAN
    1vCPU Core Processor
    1024 MB DDR4
    20GB NvMe
    (Premium Hardware)
    1TB Bandwidth Port 10Gigabit (Shared port)

$17.50 /Year | https://www.georgedatacenter.com/vps-ryzen.php

Double resources in Disk and RAM

• davidedavide Member

RackNerd has (no aff)

• 1 vCPU Core
    • 21 GB PURE SSD RAID-10 Storage
    • 1 GB RAM
    • 1500GB Monthly Premium Bandwidth
    • 1Gbps Public Network Port
    • 1 Dedicated IPv4 Address

For $0.96 / month (yearly). See product specs (aff)
    This is the cheapest I know of at $11.49/y.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

The Mailcow suite requires like 6GB RAM. You're not going to get anything that will reliably run Mailcow at $1/m~.

Thanked by 1shruub
  • edrebeedrebe Member

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited March 17

I remember the days when Mailcow would run on 1GB of RAM. They made it such a resource hog over the years. Developers lost their way on this project.

EDIT: I also remember the days when there was no stupid Docker, just a good script to install and configure everything.

• davidedavide Member

In this thread from last year they claim it can work with 1GB for a small installation.

@default said:
    I remember the days when Mailcow would run on 1GB of RAM. They made it such a resource hog over the years. Developers lost their way on this project.

EDIT: I also remember the days when there was no stupid Docker, just a good script to install and configure everything.

It really does everything though, great open source software. Best one I've used and Docker makes it easy for anyone to deploy, even without much general linux (or email) knowledge.

Great project.

• @MikeA said:
    easy for anyone to deploy, even without much general linux (or email) knowledge.

How much something like this really is a good thing(tm) is kind of debatable though.

edited March 17

@totally_not_banned said:

@MikeA said:
    easy for anyone to deploy, even without much general linux (or email) knowledge.

How much something like this really is a good thing(tm) is kind of debatable though.

Having people using easy accessible open source software is good for Linux and the communities.

• edited March 17

@MikeA said:

@MikeA said:

Having people using easy accessible open source software is good for Linux and the communities.

Is it? Having people run stuff they don't understand on systems they don't understand either usually isn't that great of an idea in my opinion. It might be somewhat good for Linux as in market share (if this is actually important in relation to open source?) but community-wise i don't think most of those people are really going to contribute much of anything beyond likely needing support sooner or later. Is this worth the overhead/downsides of docker?

Thanked by 1M66B
  • AryaKAryaK Member

Have you tried mailu.io, its way more lightweight and equally good for personal use tbh

• docker-mailserver is very good too
    Working on a Raspberry

Thanked by 1shruub
  • PineappleMPineappleM Member
    edited March 17

@MikeA said:
    The Mailcow suite requires like 6GB RAM. You're not going to get anything that will reliably run Mailcow at $1/m~.

You know it amazes me how the Debian developers managed to fit an entire operating system to run on 150 MB of RAM (even DE/GUI Linux is < 2 GB of RAM), yet almost every modern application needs far more resources than the OS does.

@MikeA said:

@MikeA said:

Is it? Having people run stuff they don't understand on systems they don't understand either usually isn't that great of an idea in my opinion. It might be somewhat good for Linux as in market share (if this is actually important in relation to open source?) but community-wise i don't think most of those people are really going to contribute much of anything beyond likely needing support sooner or later. Is this worth the overhead/downsides of docker?

It may not necessarily be a good thing from a Linux/open-source community perspective, but it at least gives lesser-well-off people a free alternative to paying a business to host a mailbox for them (for which they may not trust their privacy policies, etc). In the long run, you could argue it even gives competition to paid services to significantly boost their offerings compared to free alternatives.

• called it quits, ended up continuing my subscription with mxroute

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @MikeA said:

Depending on the amount of users, etc. I've gotten away with 4GB and 2GB for swap.

• ErisaErisa Member

The 6GB memory requirement is for the full bells-and-whistles install, if you disable ClamAV and Solr (Obviously each one comes with associated downsides, not a silver bullet) then you can run it on 2GB and I have done so for years, but I would suggest adding swap just so that it doesn't run into difficulty if load spikes for a bit.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • JosephFJosephF Member

@socialzzz said:
    called it quits, ended up continuing my subscription with mxroute

Why were you considering switching to Mailcow, in the first place?

• @JosephF said:

@socialzzz said:
    called it quits, ended up continuing my subscription with mxroute

Why were you considering switching to Mailcow, in the first place?

friends have used it with much success, but $15 dollars was the limit and you cannot beat mx route deal to LET

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@default said:

Same.
    https://docker-mailserver.github.io/docker-mailserver/latest/

Runs fine on 1GB.