Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Req: VPS for ffmpeg / 1TB HDD
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Req: VPS for ffmpeg / 1TB HDD

TL;DR - VPS to run ffmpeg a lot, slow is ok, needs 1TB storage (again, slow HDD ok)

I need to do a lot of automated video processing. Basically, I shoot videos, upload them, the system does a bunch of compression stuff (like add overlays, rotate, etc.) via cron then later I get the results, so slow processing is ok, but I need a bigger than typical VPS storage space.

Any offers? yabs results appreciated in the comparison of what's what.

Thanks!

Comments

• bgerardbgerard Member

For video processing, you're probably going to want dedicated cores so a VDS or dedicated server. For VDS a good option in Avoro, but you're not going to get 1TB of storage for a good price, same for a VDS from Hetzner cloud. However, you could use these machines for the processing and offload storage to a Hetzner storage box or some sort of blob storage like S3, B2, R3, Wasabi etc.

An alternative solution is a dedicated box, for a good price, good performance and 1TB of NVMe storage, a @PulsedMedia mini dedi will be the one to go for imo.

Thanked by 2CoolGeek PulsedMedia
  • @bgerard Thanks for the reply. I would only need a VDS if the provider has a "you can't use the vCPU more than X% for X time policy". I'm totally fine with the CPU power fluctuating on my end.

• davidedavide Member
    edited March 16

@c1vhosting might strike you a custom deal on the cheap if you don't need 100% reliability, maybe with one dedicated core to run the video codecs. You'd have to PM him as we ostracized the guy...

Also @calin has this with one dedicated core at €6.30/m. It says 0 available but maybe he just needs to pump up the counter.

Thanked by 2c1vhosting CoolGeek
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@davide said:
    @c1vhosting might strike you a custom deal on the cheap if you don't need 100% reliability, maybe with one dedicated core to run the video codecs. You'd have to PM him as we ostracized the guy...

Also @calin has this with one dedicated core at €6.30/m. It says 0 available but maybe he just needs to pump up the counter.

ffmpeg works better if a physical core (core = 2 HT) are pinned to the VPS

Thanked by 1c1vhosting
  • Go with NetCup RootServer RS1000 should be good for your need if you need more storage just mount an Hetzner storage box

Thanked by 1CoolGeek
  • CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

@davide said: Also @calin has this with one dedicated core at €6.30/m. It says 0 available but maybe he just needs to pump up

Thaanks for mention , check our deals

Left 1 or two on stock > https://panel.ihostart.com/index.php?rp=/store/cheap-storage-kvm-vps/vps-storage-cheap

Regards

• >

Double-checking. The CPU usage is ok (ffmpeg) and delivery is 40 days still?

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

@CoolGeek said: Double-checking. The CPU usage is ok (ffmpeg) and delivery is 40 days still?

>

Yes it's fine FFMPEG , delivery it's in approx 3 days after order

Thanked by 1CoolGeek
  • layer7layer7 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@CoolGeek said:
    TL;DR - VPS to run ffmpeg a lot, slow is ok, needs 1TB storage (again, slow HDD ok)

I need to do a lot of automated video processing. Basically, I shoot videos, upload them, the system does a bunch of compression stuff (like add overlays, rotate, etc.) via cron then later I get the results, so slow processing is ok, but I need a bigger than typical VPS storage space.

Any offers? yabs results appreciated in the comparison of what's what.

Thanks!

Hi,

https://layer7.net/cloud-server

you can add a 2nd disk with up to 10 TB in 1 TB steps....

Locations in France and Germany

Thanked by 1CoolGeek
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@dev_vps said:

@davide said:
    c1vhosting might strike you a custom deal on the cheap if you don't need 100% reliability, maybe with one dedicated core to run the video codecs. You'd have to PM him as we ostracized the guy...

ffmpeg works better if a physical core (core = 2 HT) are pinned to the VPS

Thanked by 1CoolGeek
  • hostarishostaris Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 17

If you're still looking for something - I can offer the following in Germany

4 vCores (Ryzen 9 5950X)
    20GB NVMe SSD (boot drive)
    4GB DDR4 RAM
    1TB HDD
    1 IPv4 + IPv6
    1Gbit/s

£10/month

Send in a DM if you're interested. I can also provide YABS upon request.

Thanked by 1CoolGeek
  • Can vouch for @hostaris and their offer, I have a solid storage VPS with them with zero complaints.

Thanked by 1CoolGeek
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member

@hostaris said:

4 vCores (Ryzen 9 5950X)
    4GB DDR4 RAM
    1TB HDD
    1 IPv4 + IPv6
    1Gbit/s

£10/month

This is pretty powerful configuration, except may be 30GB NVMe for boot drive.

Thanked by 1CoolGeek
  • ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 18

@CoolGeek said: TL;DR - VPS to run ffmpeg a lot, slow is ok, needs 1TB storage (again, slow HDD ok)

I have Hetzner storage server (with AMD Ryzen 5 3600 that sits at 0% CPU usage unless I upload / download stuff to it. Then it goes to 5% usage. So 95% is idle all the time)

There's 30 TB storage unused, 60 GB ram free and 10+ CPU that can be run at 100% 24/7 without me caring.

If you're fine with NAT VM and no control panel you can have 1TB storage vm for cheap cheap cheap. :D

Thanked by 2CoolGeek bdspice
  • @ezeth said:

@CoolGeek said: TL;DR - VPS to run ffmpeg a lot, slow is ok, needs 1TB storage (again, slow HDD ok)

I have Hetzner storage server (with AMD Ryzen 5 3600 that sits at 0% CPU usage unless I upload / download stuff to it. Then it goes to 5% usage. So 95% is idle all the time)

There's 30 TB storage unused, 60 GB ram free and 10+ CPU that can be run at 100% 24/7 without me caring.

If you're fine with NAT VM and no control panel you can have 1TB storage vm for cheap cheap cheap. :D

This is a sweat one, you should take it !

• alexhostalexhost Member, Patron Provider

Hi.

Why using VPS instead Dedicated Servers?

You can find Cheap Dedicated Servers with us, you didn't mention your budget, so take a closer look:
    https://alexhost.com/dedicated-servers/

You can try to use also our VPS, but keep in mind that 100%CPU usage more than 5min is not allowed. :)

We are glad to help you.

Alexhost

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited March 18

@alexhost said:
    Hi.

Why using VPS instead Dedicated Servers?

You can find Cheap Dedicated Servers with us, you didn't mention your budget, so take a closer look:
    https://alexhost.com/dedicated-servers/

You can try to use also our VPS, but keep in mind that 100%CPU usage more than 5min is not allowed. :)

We are glad to help you.

Alexhost

Why not VDS that is cost effective and no restriction on cpu usage?

And there are many reputed provider who permit 100% cpu usage even for VPS with fair share for 3-4 hours for every 24 hours.

• bdspicebdspice Member

@ezeth said:

can i test a ffmpeg script to to see how much time it takes really on that server?

• bdspicebdspice Member

@hostaris said:

4 vCores (Ryzen 9 5950X)
    4GB DDR4 RAM
    1TB HDD
    1 IPv4 + IPv6
    1Gbit/s

£10/month

yabs please

• hostarishostaris Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 18

@bdspice said:

@hostaris said:

4 vCores (Ryzen 9 5950X)
    4GB DDR4 RAM
    1TB HDD
    1 IPv4 + IPv6
    1Gbit/s

£10/month

yabs please

Of course. I've also ran a dd disk test on the 1TB drive

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2024-03-05                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #

Mon Mar 18 16:49:13 GMT 2024

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Uptime     : 0 days, 0 hours, 1 minutes
    Processor  : AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor
    CPU cores  : 4 @ 3393.626 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 3.8 GiB
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 38.7 GiB
    Distro     : Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
    Kernel     : 5.15.0-92-generic
    VM Type    : KVM
    IPv4/IPv6  : ✔ Online / ✔ Online

Network Information:
    ISP        : Hostaris Limited
    ASN        : AS199765 Hostaris Limited
    Host       : Hostaris Limited
    Location   : Frankfurt am Main, Hesse (HE)
    Country    : Germany

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50) (Partition /dev/vda1):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 417.95 MB/s (104.4k) | 2.84 GB/s    (44.5k)
    Write      | 419.06 MB/s (104.7k) | 2.86 GB/s    (44.7k)
    Total      | 837.01 MB/s (209.2k) | 5.71 GB/s    (89.2k)
               |                      |                     
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ---- 
    Read       | 3.37 GB/s     (6.5k) | 3.49 GB/s     (3.4k)
    Write      | 3.55 GB/s     (6.9k) | 3.72 GB/s     (3.6k)
    Total      | 6.92 GB/s    (13.5k) | 7.21 GB/s     (7.0k)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 835 Mbits/sec   | 547 Mbits/sec   | 16.6 ms        
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (10G)       | 799 Mbits/sec   | 821 Mbits/sec   | 12.4 ms        
    Telia           | Helsinki, FI (10G)        | 751 Mbits/sec   | 566 Mbits/sec   | 31.0 ms        
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 474 Mbits/sec   | 213 Mbits/sec   | 99.8 ms        
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 4.42 Mbits/sec  | 159 Mbits/sec   | 163 ms         
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 665 Mbits/sec   | 238 Mbits/sec   | 151 ms         
    Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 488 Mbits/sec   | 397 Mbits/sec   | 86.9 ms        
    Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 695 Mbits/sec   | 27.4 Mbits/sec  | 173 ms         

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed      | Ping           
    -----           | -----                     | ----            | ----            | ----           
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 815 Mbits/sec   | 392 Mbits/sec   | 16.6 ms        
    Eranium         | Amsterdam, NL (10G)       | 812 Mbits/sec   | 815 Mbits/sec   | 12.3 ms        
    Uztelecom       | Tashkent, UZ (10G)        | 263 Mbits/sec   | 299 Mbits/sec   | 99.0 ms        
    Leaseweb        | Singapore, SG (10G)       | 8.60 Mbits/sec  | busy            | 162 ms         
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 616 Mbits/sec   | 232 Mbits/sec   | 151 ms         
    Leaseweb        | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 654 Mbits/sec   | busy            | 89.8 ms        
    Edgoo           | Sao Paulo, BR (1G)        | 633 Mbits/sec   | 137 Mbits/sec   | 175 ms         

Geekbench 6 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value                         
                    |                               
    Single Core     | 1525                          
    Multi Core      | 4508                          
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v6/cpu/5367641

YABS completed in 13 min 6 sec

Thanked by 2bdspice PineappleM
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still researching, but I appreciate all the input.