Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massive data leak in France 43 million people (2/3 of it's citizens) affected.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Massive data leak in France 43 million people (2/3 of it's citizens) affected.

Comments

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Ouch that's a disaster.

So, are the rumors about the president's wife true?

• wotetiwoteti Member
    edited March 15

Time for all Frenchs to reset their name and social security number for security reason.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • fredo1664fredo1664 Member
    edited March 15

@woteti said:
    Time for all Frenchs to reset their name and social security number for security reason.

Help me chose a new name. Should I make a poll?

• wotetiwoteti Member

@fredo1664 said:
    Help me chose a new name. Should I make a poll?

Anything long and complex will do, but not correcthorsebatterystaple that one is common now.

Go ahead with the poll, interested in what new name people would choose.

• LeviLevi Member

Can someone tldr this? What was cracked?

• @Levi said:

Potentially the name, email address, physical address, phone number, social security number and date of birth of all the people who have created an account on the jobseeker agency's website in the last 20 years.

Which means I don't qualify for a new name!

• shruubshruub Member

Holy macaroly. Good thing the thread of the new french host got removed at least (/s obv)

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited March 15

@woteti said:

In most if not all EU countries social security number isn't the same as US SSN. It's not really secret (it's on our ID cards) and it's not used for any kind of authentication.
    If you know a person's birth date you know also his/her SSN in most cases.

• 1st digit = 1 = male permanent SS number (= 7 temporary number)
    • 1st digit = 2 = female permanent SS number (= 8 temporary number)
    • 2nd & 3rd digits = the year of your birth (last two numbers thereof)
    • 4th & 5th digits = the month of your birth
    • 6th & 7th digits = the French department number the person was born in. For those born outside of France, this is 99

https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/28/ssn-is-a-username-not-a-password/

• shruubshruub Member

"months", one month but yeah

• _MS__MS_ Member

We recommend to activate your Disaster Recovery Plan.

Thanked by 2Falzo Calin
  • xvpsxvps Member

@fredo1664 said:

@Levi said:

Potentially the name, email address, physical address, phone number, social security number and date of birth of all the people who have created an account on the jobseeker agency's website in the last 20 years.

Up to 20 years old personal data.

That smells like a gigantic GDPR fine.

• LeviLevi Member

@xvps said:

@fredo1664 said:

@Levi said:

Up to 20 years old personal data.

That smells like a gigantic GDPR fine.

Gov can’t fine them-self. Redundand. They will showel rhis under the rug and that’s it.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jbiloh said: So, are the rumors about the president's wife true?

I hadn't realized until today that they met when she was 40 and he was 15.

• @raindog308 said:

@jbiloh said: So, are the rumors about the president's wife true?

I hadn't realized until today that they met when she was 40 and he was 15.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/20/how-emmanuel-macron-wooed-his-former-high-school-teacher/

lol

Well, I guess it would be quite different if the gender roles were different.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

I can't exactly recall which country it was, but I do know that citizens' personal data was leaked from the whole country. I believe it was in Latin America.

In Russia, too, many citizens' personal information was compromised.

With the new big data techniques, the importance of personal data has diminished.

I've heard of cases where criminals used social engineering to get people into trouble with their finances, without even needing a credit card number or anything like that.

They just had enough other information about the person's family, contacts, and friends, and that was enough to take complete control over them.

• wotetiwoteti Member
    edited March 16

@Mumbly said:

@woteti said:

In most if not all EU countries social security number isn't the same as US SSN. It's not really secret (it's on our ID cards) and it's not used for any kind of authentication.
    If you know a person's birth date you know also his/her SSN in most cases.

• 1st digit = 1 = male permanent SS number (= 7 temporary number)
    • 1st digit = 2 = female permanent SS number (= 8 temporary number)
    • 2nd & 3rd digits = the year of your birth (last two numbers thereof)
    • 4th & 5th digits = the month of your birth
    • 6th & 7th digits = the French department number the person was born in. For those born outside of France, this is 99

https://techcrunch.com/2022/04/28/ssn-is-a-username-not-a-password/

Yeah, I gave my name, address, and SSN to many bozos with a pen and paper form (or keyboard) during some years I was living in the US. Phone subs, new apt rental, 20% discount on some home appliances, some payment plans, you name it.

As much as I want my SSN to be a secret, I believe it's circulating somewhere due to some bozos mishandling it and there is nothing I can do about it.

What's French SSN used for?

• @woteti said:

What's French SSN used for?

Social security mainly.
    It's a unique ID though, so it can be used to log in a few government website I think.

• @rustelekom said:
    I can't exactly recall which country it was, but I do know that citizens' personal data was leaked from the whole country. I believe it was in Latin America.

In Russia, too, many citizens' personal information was compromised.

With the new big data techniques, the importance of personal data has diminished.

I've heard of cases where criminals used social engineering to get people into trouble with their finances, without even needing a credit card number or anything like that.

They just had enough other information about the person's family, contacts, and friends, and that was enough to take complete control over them.

Yes it's the "social engineering" part that's worrying. Will all that date, phone scammers can have a field day.

• Impacted by this leak, and also by another leak earlier this year from 2 big private health insurance providers.

A leaked SSN is by itself not that big of a deal in France, however criminals could exploit the various data to forge documents, such as payslips and utility bills, and obtain loans in my name in some banks that do not cross-check such documents thoroughly.

I already use domain-specific email addresses on all e-commerce purchases, but I'm beginning to think that I should extend this cloaking practice to any place that gets my personal data, be that my bank, the tax service, social security, etc.

• davidedavide Member
    edited March 16

Like the fingerprint files that are supposed to be "confidential", only known by you, the police, NSA and all the espionage agencies round the world.

It's gonna blow when those leak outside the loop.

@davide said: or fuck's sake wear a grocery store glove when committing murder.

Important tip here, @Nekki

• davidedavide Member

Derp I edited that line away, was too sicko!

@davide said: Derp I edited that line away, was too sicko!

Not for @Nekki

• MumblyMumbly Member

@quicksilver03 said: and obtain loans in my name in some banks that do not cross-check such documents thoroughly.

That's somewhat hard to believe. You're not doing this with SSN. Checking a government-issued ID card is the bare minimum before anyone can do anything.

• @woteti said:

SSN's in Europe is not the same as in the US. In Sweden it's even public information so you can find anyones "ssn" on a website if you just know their name

Thanked by 2Mumbly woteti
  • RurikoRuriko Member

Now this is one reason why I hate doing verification online since no company is safe from data breaches