Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the biggest scam that has ever happened in LET?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the biggest scam that has ever happened in LET?

UchihaUchiha Member
edited March 14 in General

I've heard numerous scam stories here, but not sure which one is the biggest. Can anyone share the biggest scam they've seen in the LET community?

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Spontanius probably scheduled disintegration of multiple hosts linked to a certain someone.

• Every scam is too much.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@Uchiha said: Can anyone share the biggest scam they've seen in the LET community?

There could be two different metrics: amount of impacted clients and total funds stolen. Anyway, I highly doubt anyone has such kind of statistics.

• UchihaUchiha Member

@tentor said: There could be two different metrics: amount of impacted clients and total funds stolen. Anyway, I highly doubt anyone has such kind of statistics.

I heard that Alpharacks and Nexusbytes were huge scams

• ailiceailice Member

Somehow I got scamed for buying some yearly awesome chicken but not using it till expired.

• Biggest would be from Colo crossing making a business creating summer hosts and even using a forum they owned to tunnel sales towards the scam hosts. Guess the forum

• @james50a said:
    Biggest would be from Colo crossing making a business creating summer hosts and even using a forum they owned to tunnel sales towards the scam hosts. Guess the forum

tell us more

• Thanked by 1slmdr
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep
  • rcy026rcy026 Member
    edited March 14

Some years ago there were like 20 hosts that shut down simultaneously. All very similar sites, all hosted at the same dc, started at the same time, had insane deals and ran for a short period of time and then all disappeared at the same time, all just days after posting yearly offers at LEB. It was just too much of a coincidence not to be orchestrated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/seedboxes/comments/e88nfe/20_lowend_vps_providers_to_shut_down_today/
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/161957/psa-a-bunch-of-leb-hosts-deadpooling-arkahosting-supremevps-umaxhosting-hosting73-hostbrz-ku

I have no idea how many clients were affected or how much money was involved, but just the scale of it was somewhat impressive.

• This thread is crazy, I knew the VPS world was filled with funny business but some of these stories are next level...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Uchiha said: Nexusbytes were huge scams

Nyah. NB was just mismanaged.

Not a scam - just horribly managed.

I don't think either NB or @cociu went into things with the intent to defraud people. Both operated popular business for a long time until they cratered.

• balrammbalramm Member, Host Rep

I guess Dedipatth, not just clients they ruined many businesses

• mzunguhosting.ml and yoursunny.com/p/summer-host/

• PurpleDaddy.

Thanked by 1deadpool
  • akbakb Member

Tales from the Crypt:

For Immediate Release ...

:p

Thanked by 1foxcoo
  • shruubshruub Member

@Hotmarer said:
    mzunguhosting.ml and yoursunny.com/p/summer-host/

Oh, you must have misread! OP asked for the biggest scams, not the biggest success stories.

Thanked by 1lowendtalkxdax
  • atroxzatroxz Member

Bought a vps from the perfume company.

• 4te564te56 Member

@Uchiha said: I heard that Alpharacks and Nexusbytes were huge scams

Knew someone who had picked up a bunch of Alpharacks boxes a few years ago. Funilly enough, it was only about a month or so before they vanished off the face of the earth.

Then years later I ended up jumping on the NexusBytes hype when they were active and promoting on LEB. After about a year on their service I started getting the sense that something was up with regard to the service and decided not to renew. About a month or two after that NexusBytes vanished without a trace.

Funny you mention both of those, I witnessed both of them directly :joy:

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited March 14

Darren Slade aka Ken Nash for sure.
    Although most of you are too young to remember him. It started at LEB around 2009 and if memory serves me correctly supposedly ended at LET around 2012.

Every few months he opened a new hosting company (UptimeVPS, ServerWOW, XmXen...) under a fake name with some super awesome deals and scammed of thousands people here.
    Unlike many incompetent scammers, he actually knew what he was doing, it was well planned operation, so business thrived for a few months and then he just disappeared with servers unpaid and reappeared under a new fake identity a few months later.
    He was a pro swindler who knew the industry and all his operations were looking legit enough until they weren't.

Thanked by 1lowenddude
  • jtkjtk Member

@Uchiha said:
    I've heard numerous scam stories here, but not sure which one is the biggest. Can anyone share the biggest scam they've seen in the LET community?

I'm not sure how best to describe them in legally defensive language, but cloudatcost, still in operation, is widely derided. They seem to be in a category with no equals.

• @Uchiha said: Nexusbytes

What happened to them? I thought they were one of the favorite providers here?

• emghemgh Member

@Maelstrom36 said:

@Uchiha said: Nexusbytes

What happened to them? I thought they were one of the favorite providers here?

If I remember it correctly (also not sure if anything else was discovered), basically depression followed by zero communication and blocking of one or several on Facebook after questions about it

• neverainneverain Member
    edited March 15

@Mumbly said:
    Darren Slade aka Ken Nash for sure.
    Although most of you are too young to remember him. It started at LEB around 2009 and if memory serves me correctly supposedly ended at LET around 2012.

Every few months he opened a new hosting company (UptimeVPS, ServerWOW, XmXen...) under a fake name with some super awesome deals and scammed of thousands people here.
    Unlike many incompetent scammers, he actually knew what he was doing, it was well planned operation, so business thrived for a few months and then he just disappeared with servers unpaid and reappeared under a new fake identity a few months later.
    He was a pro swindler who knew the industry and all his operations were looking legit enough until they weren't.

Reminds me of Tai Lopez, he started online dating business before tinder was a thing but it was a scam, if only his company was legitimate, he would've been a billionaire.

Similarly if this guy started a legit business it probably would've made him more money on the long run since he was sort of early

Thanked by 1Mumbly
  • sassliksasslik Member

u scammed my 7$

• @Uchiha said: I heard that Alpharacks and Nexusbytes were huge scams

I was their cust.
    afaik nothing wrong with their machine or price or customer service.
    they just dissapeared all of sudden.

• that storage deals in Romania which lasts for a loooooooooooooong time....?

• thechanthechan Member

Alpharack and ColoCrossing