Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clouvider Unable to build website
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Clouvider Unable to build website

mgwxmgwx Member

I attempted to establish a WordPress website using Clouvider, but encountered frequent failures on the user registration page. After investing a considerable amount of time, I discovered that Clouvider has blocked the 465/587 SMTP ports, resulting in the inability to send emails. Upon contacting customer support, they explicitly stated that their service cannot send emails.

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited March 13

@mgwx said:
    I attempted to establish a WordPress website using Clouvider, but encountered frequent failures on the user registration page. After investing a considerable amount of time, I discovered that Clouvider has blocked the 465/587 SMTP ports, resulting in the inability to send emails. Upon contacting customer support, they explicitly stated that their service cannot send emails.

Assuming your service falls under Virtual Dedicated Servers in Cloud, Cloud Servers, Virtual Private Servers (VPS):

https://www.clouvider.com/terms-conditions/

6.6 No emails – emails port will be blocked by default with this service unless otherwise agreed in writing.

Thanked by 2tmepy raindog308
  • lukast__lukast__ Member
    edited March 13

Web hosting or VPS?
    Edit: just saw what @DP wrote, would say it is clear, you should have read the TOS.

• xvpsxvps Member
    edited March 13

Someone is stupid.

www.wpbeginner.com/plugins/how-to-set-up-wp-mail-smtp-with-any-host-ultimate-guide/

• eriseris Member

Use a SMTP relay like http://smtp2go.com or AWS

• mgwxmgwx Member

@lukast__ said:
    Web hosting or VPS?
    Edit: just saw what @DP wrote, would say it is clear, you should have read the TOS.

I thought it was just port 25

• benchbench Member

Hosting providers mostly open these ports upon request

• @mgwx said: I thought it was just port 25

25, 465, 587 are all used for SMTP/mail. I don't see why just port 25 should be blocked?

• cochoncochon Member

@lukast__ said:

@mgwx said: I thought it was just port 25

25, 465, 587 are all used for SMTP/mail. I don't see why just port 25 should be blocked?

25 & 465 yes, but port 587 is conventionally used for submitting, not delivering e-mail, usually restricted to 'clients' by IP or by needing authentication.

It's a regular port for submitting to 3rd party mail delivery services so does seem an odd one to block.

Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • @cochon said: 25 & 465 yes, but port 587 is conventionally used for submitting, not delivering e-mail, usually restricted to 'clients' by IP or by needing authentication.
    It's a regular port for submitting to 3rd party mail delivery services so does seem an odd one to block.

As they say in their TOS that "emails port will be blocked" and 587 is used for mail (irrelevant for what exactly), it's expectable that it is blocked.

• @eris said:

how can you connect to SMTP Relay, if all SMTP ports are blocked? not specifically asking about clouvider, but for many Providers who i know does block all SMTP Ports

Thanked by 1tjn
  • cochoncochon Member

@JoseDieguez said:

@eris said:

how can you connect to SMTP Relay, if all SMTP ports are blocked? not specifically asking about clouvider, but for many Providers who i know does block all SMTP Ports

Most also use non standard ports for receiving, for just this eventuality, e.g. smtp2go seem to use 2525 or 8025 as well as the regular SMTP ports.

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 14

@mgwx said:

have you tried using 2587 & Redirecting 587 to 2587?

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

@mgwx said:

AWS doess allow port 2587 for SMTP if thats what your using

• mgwxmgwx Member

@lukast__ said:

@mgwx said: I thought it was just port 25

Since I don't host an email server for sending emails, I connected to Gmail SMTP using port 587 to send emails

• Cancel and go elsewhere. Simple.

• mgwxmgwx Member

@dahartigan said:
    Cancel and go elsewhere. Simple.

No Refund

• mgwxmgwx Member

@Jasonhyperhost said:

@mgwx said:

Thank you. The Gmail SMTP I'm using doesn't support port 2587

• xvpsxvps Member
    edited March 14

@mgwx said:

@Jasonhyperhost said:

@mgwx said:

Thank you. The Gmail SMTP I'm using doesn't support port 2587

Then stop using Gmail.

There are plenty of ways to send emails when ports are blocked.

Many mail relays have an API you can use to send emails.

And some of them have made WP plugins.

E.g. https://wordpress.org/plugins/mailgun/

Mailgun isn't free, but there are other mail relays you can use. If they don't have a WP plugin copy the function in wp-mail-api.php from the Mailgun plugin and adapt it to Mailtrap's API or another API.

https://api-docs.mailtrap.io/docs/mailtrap-api-docs/67f1d70aeb62c-send-email-including-templates

• @mgwx said:

@dahartigan said:
    Cancel and go elsewhere. Simple.

No Refund

Just write it off as experience and move along. Who said anything about refunds?

It's your fault for not reading the terms of service before buying. Best you could hope for is a gesture of goodwill from them in the form of a refund or enabling the ports.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • comXyzcomXyz Member

@dahartigan said: reading the terms of service

Well they clearly stated "emails port", not "email ports". So I assume they're allowed to block only 1 port then?

• edited March 14

@comXyz said:

@dahartigan said: reading the terms of service

Well they clearly stated "emails port", not "email ports". So I assume they're allowed to block only 1 port then?

Admittedly it's technically somewhat unclear but the intention is obvious in my opinion and should at least have triggered a sales question on OP's side.

@OP are you on some kind of longish payment interval? If not i'd simply ask support to please unblock the submission port for you (to be honest i don't see much point in blocking it beyond thwarting brute forcing smtp account details anyways - is that a common problem?) and if not simply cut your losses and move on. A single month isn't likely to bankrupt you isn't it?

If you have another VPS or a VPN account you might obviously also work around the problem by tunneling your submission traffic. The wonders of iptables packet marking and source based routing make for some pretty efficient duct tape.

• defaultdefault Veteran

Thanked by 2_MS_ yongsiklee
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Mentally strong webmaster does not rely on email.

• User registration: Facebook Login.
    • Notification: RSS feed.
    Thanked by 1yongsiklee
  • nocloudnocloud Member

can't you just use something like mxroute?

• Mail.baby accepts mail on port 2525

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

@default said:

I also bought the server not knowing all the email ports will be blocked via TOS.

I cannot just write off and move on as I bought one year in advance for $66 (50% off $120s)

Well, I am now wondering what to do with the server.... :'(

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@yongsiklee said: Well, I am now wondering what to do with the server....

Use a mail relay that accepts on 2587 or other ports. Several are listed above.

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said:

@yongsiklee said: Well, I am now wondering what to do with the server....

Use a mail relay that accepts on 2587 or other ports. Several are listed above.

I will be trying @mxroute and see if they allow unconventional smtp ports.

• edited April 3

Try these folks, I’ve had a very similar case just like yours

https://mzunguhosting.ml/

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@yongsiklee said: I will be trying @mxroute and see if they allow unconventional smtp ports.

They allow port 2525:

https://mxroutedocs.com/general/smtpimappopdetails/

Thanked by 2yongsiklee nocloud