Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do many hosts avoid using third-party WHMCS themes?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why do many hosts avoid using third-party WHMCS themes?

UchihaUchiha Member

I noticed that many big players, such as A2Hosting, are using WHMCS as their billing platform without integrating third-party themes like Lagom or others. Is there a specific reason for this choice? Why do they opt for the default WHMCS theme instead?

Comments

• Maybe because it's simpler, they don't need to install (maybe even buy) additional themes, and they don't need to keep track of (security) updates for the themes.

• SwiftnodeSwiftnode Member, Host Rep

It's already bad enough that WHMCS almost in its entirety is ioncube encrypted, so it can't be easily reviewed per each release.

Anyone remember the "localhost.re" blog that released like 5 zero day WHMCS exploits within a few months? And them WHMCS tried to hire the guy? And he told them to spend the money on an audit instead.. lmao

But for themes to be ioncube encrypted? Or whatever shit ass modules they decide to package with those themes? Yeah, hard fucking pass.

Ioncube is probably one of the worst things to ever happen to webdev. You might as well just pay some guy on Fiverr to make it for you so you can at least review the code.

• Due to vulnerabilities and other security related purposes, I'd rather have bad looking whmcs that's fully secured than a good looking with security flaws

Thanked by 1tjn
  • JosephFJosephF Member

Security risks.

• leetbdleetbd Banned

due to security breach :blush:

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

We have always used our own designs, it allows a better customer experience and as others have mentioned we can heavily limit any security issues as we know what we are putting into the theme.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Swiftnode said: Anyone remember the "localhost.re" blog

So many epic gifs on that blog.

Thanked by 1Swiftnode
  • HostAddonHostAddon Member, Patron Provider

Theme is basic with all functionality and does not look bad, so keeping the default theme with some color customization works for most of the companies. BUt using your custom theme for good UI experince is better, but will need effort and lot of resources, some people try to avoid that.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

Because some people value function over looks?

Compare the web-UI of Cloudflare DNS to HE's DNS.. One looks pretty but takes a lot of 'clicks' to get something done.. The other looks lame but is easy and efficient to get anything done.

• The default themes are enough for me they have 3 choice and i believe they has do update in their themes when updating whmcs. And of course they using their own themes haha

• emghemgh Member

Replies in this thread = GPT1

• My best guess, that's actually a fact... a combination of all three:

• lazy
    • ignorant
    • cheap

Nothing more, nothing less. Don't let these people talk about security, function or something else trick you.

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

Do you by chance sell the 'third party themes'?

• LeviLevi Member

Whmcs use smarty engine. This is very powerful tool and in case of reckless programming it can pose security risk. If you bake your theme in-house at least tou can slam your head when hacked.