Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to buy cheap high bandwidth VPS for file backup just like Netcup VPS Piko but closer to UK
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I want to buy cheap high bandwidth VPS for file backup just like Netcup VPS Piko but closer to UK

Hi guys,

I want to buy something like the Netcup VPS Piko except not in Germany - I would like it to be somewhere closer to the UK (ideally in the UK but this is not required).

Just for reference, here are the VPS Piko stats :

Cost: $1.09 per month
RAM: 1GB
SSD: 30GB
Bandwidth: If the average traffic in the last 24 hours is above 100 Mbps, a temporary throttling to 100 Mbps occurs.

I will not be using more than 40 Mbps average per 24 hours, and almost certainly less than 10 Mbps average over the course of a month, but I want the option of being able to have up to 20 Mbps average monthly traffic "just in case".

Almost all of my traffic will be ingress (most of the egress traffic will just be TCP ACKs).

I will be using this VPS for backing up my files "constantly" (not 24/7 but at basically unpredictable intervals). I will be automatically uploading files to this server, and I will run a script (probably a cron job) which automatically deletes the oldest files once storage becomes almost full.

My requirements:

Cost: Must cost less than $2 per month. Willing to pay upfront for up to 2 years for a reputable provider.

Total Monthly Ingress: 8TB. I will not be using 8TB every month (almost certainly less than 4TB on average, but I want the option of being able to use up to 8TB without being throttled "just in case").

Total Monthly Egress: Minimum 500GB, preferably more. I will not be using much egress, but I know that TCP ACKs are counted as part of egress and so I do need some amount of egress allowance for those TCP ACKs. I also need some egress allowance for the rare case when I do need to actually access my files.

Ingress speed from the UK to the VPS: Must be at least 90 Mbps.

Egress speed to the UK from the VPS: Must be at least 90 Mbps.

RAM: Minimum 0.5GB.
SSD: Minimum 30GB.
Disk write speed: At least 30MB/s, ideally more.
Disk read speed: At least 30MB/s, ideally more.

Network latency to the UK: Must be better than Netcup's latency to the UK. Preferably located in the UK, but this is not required.

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Forgot to add: I do need IPv4, so I can't use IPv6-only VPSes.

• davidedavide Member

RackNerd has (no aff)

• Strasbourg
    • 2 vCPU Cores
    • 38 GB PURE SSD RAID-10 Storage
    • 2.5 GB RAM
    • 6000GB Monthly Premium Bandwidth
    • 1Gbps Public Network Port
    • 1 Dedicated IPv4 Address

For $1.99 / month (yearly). See product specs (aff)

Thanked by 1johnvmevpstorage
  • @davide said:
    RackNerd has (no aff)

• Strasbourg
    • 2 vCPU Cores
    • 38 GB PURE SSD RAID-10 Storage
    • 2.5 GB RAM
    • 6000GB Monthly Premium Bandwidth
    • 1Gbps Public Network Port
    • 1 Dedicated IPv4 Address

For $1.99 / month (yearly). See product specs (aff)

Hi, thanks for your response, I appreciate you trying to help.

The plan you linked looks like it's in the US? Setting the location to France brings it to significantly more than $2 per month. And also it looks like the bandwidth is only 6TB.

• sh97sh97 Member

Here are some options.
    https://lowend-deals.xbit.win/#vps-2m (some links are aff)
    You might find better deals for yearly payments.

I think Strato meets your requirements?

LINUX MINI VC1-1

1 vCPU
    1GB RAM
    30GB NVMe SSD
    Unmetered Bandwidth
    1x IPv4, /128 IPv6
    10Gbps Port
    Multiple EU Locations

€1 / month

https://www.strato.nl/server/vps-linux/mini-vps/

• edited March 13

@sh97 said:
    Here are some options.

LINUX MINI VC1-1

1 vCPU
    1GB RAM
    30GB NVMe SSD
    Unmetered Bandwidth
    1x IPv4, /128 IPv6
    10Gbps Port
    Multiple EU Locations

€1 / month

Hi, thanks for responding, I appreciate you trying to help.

What does "unmetered" mean exactly? I don't really believe that unmetered is truly unmetered. For example, BuyVM said they have "unlimited" bandwidth but it turns out it's really just 4TB per month for each half gig of RAM. But props to BuyVM for actually giving me a straight answer on that. I asked OVH the same question and they just straight up said that they don't disclose their "fair use" policy to customers.

So I don't trust those "unmetered" bandwidth plans to be truly unmetered. I think it just means there is a hidden limit, which is more scary than an explicitly stated limit.

• Oracle cloud free tier

• davidedavide Member

Right, Strasbourg rises the price to $2.49, I noticed now.
    If you exclude Germany I don't see cheaper options. Pass.

• @davide said:
    Right, Strasbourg rises the price to $2.49, I noticed now.
    If you exclude Germany I don't see cheaper options. Pass.

Are there other options in Germany (other than Netcup) that are cheaper than $2?

• sh97sh97 Member

@johnvmevpstorage said:

@sh97 said:
    Here are some options.

LINUX MINI VC1-1

1 vCPU
    1GB RAM
    30GB NVMe SSD
    Unmetered Bandwidth
    1x IPv4, /128 IPv6
    10Gbps Port
    Multiple EU Locations

€1 / month

What does "unmetered" mean exactly? I don't really believe that unmetered is truly unmetered. For example, BuyVM said they have "unlimited" bandwidth but it turns out it's really just 4TB per month for each half gig of RAM. But props to BuyVM for actually giving me a straight answer on that. I asked OVH the same question and they just straight up said that they don't disclose their "fair use" policy to customers.

So I don't trust those "unmetered" bandwidth plans to be truly unmetered. I think it just means there is a hidden limit, which is more scary than an explicitly stated limit.

I'm not sure, that's what mentioned on their website. Maybe these guys are better than OVH and will give you a definite answer.
    That list has the cheapest VPS, some of them have generous limits, so I hope you find something from there. Ofc, some hosts may also offer you something here.
    Good luck.

• edited March 13

@sh97 said:

@johnvmevpstorage said:

@sh97 said:
    Here are some options.

LINUX MINI VC1-1

1 vCPU
    1GB RAM
    30GB NVMe SSD
    Unmetered Bandwidth
    1x IPv4, /128 IPv6
    10Gbps Port
    Multiple EU Locations

€1 / month

I'm not sure, that's what mentioned on their website. Maybe these guys are better than OVH and will give you a definite answer.
    That list has the cheapest VPS, some of them have generous limits, so I hope you find something from there. Ofc, some hosts may also offer you something here.
    Good luck.

Thanks a lot.

Also, does that Strato purchase page have an English version? I can't read Dutch.

• edited March 13

@darkimmortal said:
    Oracle cloud free tier

Thanks, that's a good suggestion!

I forgot to mention that I want to buy one VPS from each different vendor in case one vendor goes down.

I'm currently using one VPS from Oracle, one VPS from Google, one VPS from Netcup, and I want to buy a few more VPSes from other vendors for peace of mind, so that I can be sure that at least one VPS is online at any given moment.

• edited March 15

edit: allow any location.

Doesn't matter if it's close to UK or not.

• JustHostJustHost Member, Patron Provider

Currently have this on special

Plan Information

2 Ryzen 9 7900 Cores (Fair Use)
    1 GB Dedicated DDR5 Ram
    25 GB NVME Storage
    20 TB Premium Bandwidth (20000 GB)
    1 Gbp's Network Access Port
    Virtualizor Control Panel
    1 IPv4 Address
    /112 IPv6 Included
    200 Gbp's DDOS Protection
    Linux Only
    24x7 Technical Support
    Free Instant Activation

GBP - £4.50 (£3.15)
    USD - $5.75 ($4.02)

*First month discount price.
    Currency price conversion correct at time of email being sent

claim a nice 30% discount on your first month by using the code 3G1LYGQ9A4 during the checkout

Direct Order Link - https://clientcp.net/index.php?rp=/store/special-offers/high-traffic-1g-special-uk&promocode=3G1LYGQ9A4

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

We Can Offer in the UK

Plan Information

2 Xeon Cores
    2 DDR4 Ram
    60 GB NVME Storage
    10TB Bandwdith (Bit of breathing room)
    2 Gbit Network Port
    Virtfusion Control Panel
    1 IPv4 Address
    /64 IPv6 Included
    Coreo DDOS Protection
    Linux Only
    24x7 Technical Support Via Ticket or Phone
    Free Instant Activation

£3 Per Month Re-occuring

Order Link - https://clients.hyperhostsolutions.com/store/kvm-compute-instance/compute-instance-2

Promo Code - VM6P52W4AP

Drop us a message once ordered so we can boost your drive from 30GB to 60 GB

This discussion has been closed.