Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"free" & anonymous VPN by sneaky bastards
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"free" & anonymous VPN by sneaky bastards

xvpsxvps Member

I just stumbled over this website: www.urban-vpn.com.

They advertise it as a free VPN service, but there is a small thing they forgot to mention in their advertising. And next to their download buttons.

When you read the terms, it isn't free. You are sharing your connection with a third party (p2p) as payment if you install their app.

Have any of you tried it?

And if so, how long did it take before websites went captcha crazy, your public IP address got blacklisted, and the police knocked on your door?

How is the speed?

Is it fast enough to take the risk on a DMCA-free Romanian basement VPS with windows?

Do you know other similar traps?

Comments

• kvz12kvz12 Member
    edited March 12

I've used it once or twice with their browser add on to access weird locations that might not be included with other VPN services. I wouldn't ever download and install their software though, the add on is bad enough. Speed was good enough for what I wanted, but please use an actual trusted VPN service.

Thanked by 1xvps
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

@xvps said: Do you know other similar traps?

It's not a trap if they make things clear is it, how do you expect them to fund it? nothing is free in life.

• shruubshruub Member

Have never seen a more legitimate sounding and semeing service.

Thanked by 1xvps
  • CabbageCabbage Member
    edited March 12

That applies for pretty much every single free VPNs. Shit is obviously unsustainable, and they need to make money in some way.

Now I'm curious; is this really that profitable? There's like fuck ton of free VPN clients on Google Play, all of which undoubtably relies on selling data.

• davidedavide Member

I think for 1€/y (VAT included!) @c1vhosting offers / offered a VPN.

Thanked by 1c1vhosting
  • xvpsxvps Member

@Cabbage said:
    That applies for pretty much every single free VPNs. Shit is obviously unsustainable, and they need to make money in some way.

Now I'm curious; is this really that profitable? There's like fuck ton of free VPN clients on Google Play, all of which undoubtably relies on selling data.

I guess they sell residential VPN subscriptions under another name to monetize it.

But if you install their app, you are using somebody else computer and connection as a VPN, and other users are using yours.

In other words, they don't have the same amount of servers as other VPN providers.

If it doesn't backfire, it can add an extra layer of anonymity.

• xvpsxvps Member
    edited March 12

@TarZZ92 said:

It's not a trap if they make things clear is it, how do you expect them to fund it? nothing is free in life.

Oh, so they make things clear when they hide important information in their terms. :D

• LeviLevi Member

@xvps said:

@TarZZ92 said:

Oh, so they make things clear when they hide important information in their terms. :D

World has certain amount of non-tech savy and just idiot people. Those people are prey for tech-savy ones. You are not their target audience.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member

@xvps said: Oh, so they make things clear when they hide important information in their terms.

You are supposed to read the TERMS not just click you agree, cant really claim its wrong a scam etc if you never read the terms properly. its perfectly legitimate.

• xvpsxvps Member

@TarZZ92 said:

@xvps said: Oh, so they make things clear when they hide important information in their terms.

You are supposed to read the TERMS not just click you agree, cant really claim its wrong a scam etc if you never read the terms properly. its perfectly legitimate.

In the country where I live, their advertising is illegal.

1. You are not allowed to advertise something as free when you have to pay with something else as money.
    2. Important terms such as this have to be written clearly next to the download button when you advertise your service to consumers.

I think they have similar laws in most EU countries.

So no, it isn't legitimate.

• daviddavid Member
    Thanked by 2xvps _MS_
  • LeviLevi Member

Sue them. You will win.

Thanked by 1xvps
  • Yeah, i'd nether use something like this. You can practically be sure that there is another arm of the company, which is reselling those residential connections pretty much for what they are to the regular clientele for such services. Bad idea. Period.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

"The only 100% FREE, 100% fast & 100% anonymous VPN in the world".

• entrailzentrailz Member, Host Rep

Owned and operated by Geosurf (now shutdown due to legal battle with Brightdata)

Thanked by 1xvps
  • matey0matey0 Member

There are some legitimately free VPN services, I would only trust ones that just give you a WireGuard or OpenVPN config file.

Services like the one you linked make a ton of money selling your connection as a residential proxy. They give you a vpn worth $1/month and charge people like spammers upwards of $10/gb for your home connection as a proxy. It'll ruin your IP reputation too and invite potential legal trouble.

• blackeyeblackeye Veteran

Do you trust for free vpn ?

• shruubshruub Member

@blackeye said:

Only provider I mostly trust would be ProtonVPN due to track record/premium plan funding. Otherwise, no. (except of course urbanvpn ;^))

• matey0matey0 Member

@shruub said:

@blackeye said:

Only provider I mostly trust would be ProtonVPN due to track record/premium plan funding. Otherwise, no. (except of course urbanvpn ;^))

ProtonMail/ProtonVPN really doesn't have that good of a track record..
    Mullvad and IVPN are decent.

• VPN is one of those things you never cheap out on if you care about your privacy. If you do, it'll come back to bite you in the ass in the long run

Mullvad is what I've been using for years, and I've heard good things about IVPN too

Thanked by 1PineappleM
  • shruubshruub Member

@matey0 said:

@shruub said:

@blackeye said:

Well we were talking about free VPNs. Mullvad & Ivpn are Goats, but paid.

• matey0matey0 Member

@shruub said:

@matey0 said:

@shruub said:

@blackeye said:

Well we were talking about free VPNs. Mullvad & Ivpn are Goats, but paid.

I was unaware that ProtonVPN had a free tier so I misread, sorry. For a free tier it indeed looks very good!

Thanked by 1shruub