Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for a supermicro 36 bay or above dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

looking for a supermicro 36 bay or above dedicated server

can anyone provide a supermicro 36 bay or above dedicated server. i will pay for the server , power, network but must have the flexibility to ship drives from my end so that i can save cost for the HDD's. location preference anywhere in usa

Comments

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

We have quite a few of these units and can even add SC 45 drive jbods.

But the deal you propose is a bad one.
    Get colocation, buy the full server, pay for electricity + bandwidth + remote hands separately.

Part of the price for HDDs in server price is actually bandwidth. More storage == More Bandwidth used.

So presume we'd charge 1000€ for the node with drives, without drives we'd charge 900€. Bandwidth is still being utilized, but you just added a lot of work handling customer drives, logistics, documentation and presumably you'd expect us to sell you drives at cost when one fails, still provide maintenance / replacement for the drives free of charge etc.

BYOD is rare for those reasons, it's a lot of hassle to get less revenue per unit, and breaking your standard maintenance routines & processes. Almost guaranteed you will get "donated" drives because the info gets lost that you own the drives.

• yaty497yaty497 Member

@PulsedMedia said:

Get colocation, buy the full server, pay for electricity + bandwidth + remote hands separately.

Part of the price for HDDs in server price is actually bandwidth. More storage == More Bandwidth used.

So presume we'd charge 1000€ for the node with drives, without drives we'd charge 900€. Bandwidth is still being utilized, but you just added a lot of work handling customer drives, logistics, documentation and presumably you'd expect us to sell you drives at cost when one fails, still provide maintenance / replacement for the drives free of charge etc.

BYOD is rare for those reasons, it's a lot of hassle to get less revenue per unit, and breaking your standard maintenance routines & processes. Almost guaranteed you will get "donated" drives because the info gets lost that you own the drives.

I understand your concern, but I have a multiple petabyte requirement so I have to take care of each terabyte cost. If I needed couple of terabytes I would have proceeded without any thoughts. Is there any offering from your end where I can get per TB cost in the range of 0.5-0.7$

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 11

@yaty497 said: I understand your concern, but I have a multiple petabyte requirement so I have to take care of each terabyte cost. If I needed couple of terabytes I would have proceeded without any thoughts. Is there any offering from your end where I can get per TB cost in the range of 0.5-0.7$

>

Hello ,if you like to pay in advance minimum 12 months it's possible give to you 0.90$ per TB of storage

Give you dedicated server with

1x e5-2630 v4
    32 GB ram
    28x 16 TB HDDs
    1 Gbps port speed
    Romania Location
    Ignore DMCA & Adult content allowed
    Raid 5/6/60/10

Regards

• sh97sh97 Member

Said this before, saying again - reach out to @crunchbits - they should be able to give you a reasonable price.

• fiberstatefiberstate Member, Patron Provider

@yaty497 said:
    can anyone provide a supermicro 36 bay or above dedicated server. i will pay for the server , power, network but must have the flexibility to ship drives from my end so that i can save cost for the HDD's. location preference anywhere in usa

We can help with the supply and colo of a server like this no problem.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@yaty497 said:

@PulsedMedia said:

I understand your concern, but I have a multiple petabyte requirement so I have to take care of each terabyte cost. If I needed couple of terabytes I would have proceeded without any thoughts. Is there any offering from your end where I can get per TB cost in the range of 0.5-0.7$

Yea colo is your option. We can make more than that just "idling" the drives.

There are better colo providers than we would be. @crunchbits might be able to give you an option.

that being said, we could do some stupid cheap server with just 1G + 45 drive jbod with 2xSAS2 connections. But handling customer drives is ... Well, we would still have to charge you arm and leg in one way or another, no matter what you call it, remote hands, maintenance fee, service fee etc.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@sh97 said:
    Said this before, saying again - reach out to @crunchbits - they should be able to give you a reasonable price.

We can be competitive, but $0.5-$0.7/TB is bankruptcy tier on a rented dedi. You can get to below those rates but you're talking one of our LTO servers paid up front. Just delivered a few 12-bay and 36-Bay EPYC storage units, and their recurring costs are below that range but the unit was purchased outright and becomes a simple colocation agreement with a warranty.