Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it wise to Hosting a vpn server on production server ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it wise to Hosting a vpn server on production server ?

I m thinking to host a vpn server for personal (accessing region based content) use on my production server , should I get a additional ip to host vpn server or not?

Comments

• matey0matey0 Member

Can't really answer that for you. Is there a reason you don't want your server and your browsing activity to be tied together?
    From a privacy standpoint a self-hosted VPN that you're going to use alone is a bad idea because your IP will be an absolute unique identifier. Contrasted with home ISPs which commonly employ CGNAT these days or commercial VPN providers who probably have around 100 users on a single server.

If you don't use them already you can check out Oracle's always-free tier. You can get 2 free VPS in many locations with 20tb@500mbit

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • Well, my only intent to use vpn is for Netflix, and yes I heard about oracle but nvr tried , I think I should try oracle

• kevindskevinds Member, LIR

@Proxecure said:
    Well, my only intent to use vpn is for Netflix, and yes I heard about oracle but nvr tried , I think I should try oracle

Netflix already blocks most datacentre IP addresses.. They use a whitelist system for the most part.. If the IP you are trying to use isn't whitelisted, chances are you will be shadow-blocked (most content missing) or just blocked outright.

• edited March 7

Well, then it pretty much depends on what you think the chances of Netflix getting angry and DDoSing your production server are, i guess.

Thanked by 1Proxecure
  • reinobreinob Member

If by "production server" you mean it also runs your e-mail, then I would advise to put your VPN server somewhere else.

Some anti-spam/reputation lists might see the presence of a VPN server as an indicator for "low reputation" or "malicious activity" and such. It's not (necessarily) right or fair, but if it happens, you may have deliverability problems that are hard to solve.

• @reinob said:
    If by "production server" you mean it also runs your e-mail, then I would advise to put your VPN server somewhere else.

Some anti-spam/reputation lists might see the presence of a VPN server as an indicator for "low reputation" or "malicious activity" and such. It's not (necessarily) right or fair, but if it happens, you may have deliverability problems that are hard to solve.

i have hosted few e commerce sites and blogs on my server

• Most streaming services now block DataCenter IPs.

• reinobreinob Member

@Proxecure said:

@reinob said:

i have hosted few e commerce sites and blogs on my server

Then (IMHO!) there should be no issue with hosting your private VPN there.