Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

virtualization problem
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

virtualization problem

rolexdrolexd Member

i brought a vps with 12 gig ram and 3 ip thinking separate in to 3 vpses i tried using virtfusion and virtualizor both time server has created but network doesnt work i need help to fix that (i have no idea what i am oing rn )

Comments

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 4

virt-nest enabled ?

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • I doubt you'll get a solution without at least some detailed problem description. "Does not work" is about as generic as it gets and could be just about anything and then some more. If you don't know how to diagnose this further you might have a problem.

Given it's only about 3 VMs you might be better off simply running Qemu manually though (at least as long as you don't plan on changing configuration every 3 days). Even if you'll likely also have to fight a bit to get it working it's a least easier to diagnose remotely.

Thanked by 2tentor BasToTheMax
  • @RIYAD said:
    virt-nest enabled ?

I guess if it wasn't his VMs wouldn't run at all and not just have non-working networks but then it's also pretty much all about stabbing in the dark here.

• @totally_not_banned said:
    I doubt you'll get a solution without at least some detailed problem description. "Does not work" is about as generic as it gets and could be just about anything and then some more. If you don't know how to diagnose this further you might have a problem.

Given it's only about 3 VMs you might be better off simply running Qemu manually though (at least as long as you don't plan on changing configuration every 3 days). Even if you'll likely also have to fight a bit to get it working it's a least easier to diagnose remotely.

You are too pessimistic. Just advice him to turn it off and on again. Solves 99.9% of all problems.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@blackjack4494 said: Just advice him to turn it off and on again. Solves 99.9% of all problems.

This is not how NOC handles their networking stuff (well I hope there are no Windows admins involved :# ).

• rolexdrolexd Member

@blackjack4494 said:

@totally_not_banned said:
    I doubt you'll get a solution without at least some detailed problem description. "Does not work" is about as generic as it gets and could be just about anything and then some more. If you don't know how to diagnose this further you might have a problem.

You are too pessimistic. Just advice him to turn it off and on again. Solves 99.9% of all problems.

tried few time lol

• rolexdrolexd Member

can you suggest me a source to learn this stuff

• @rolexd said:

@blackjack4494 said:

tried few time lol

My comment was obviously troll lol.
    Generic problems require generic solutions :D

Thanked by 1rolexd
  • davidedavide Member

Try to ask Bing Chat, it will patiently prompt you questions to understand your problem and maybe give a solution:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Bing+AI&showconv=1

• rolexdrolexd Member

@davide said:
    Try to ask Bing Chat, it will patiently prompt you questions to understand your problem and maybe give a solution:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Bing+AI&showconv=1

thanks for the reply i am currently using chat gpt 4

• edited March 4

@rolexd said:

can you suggest me a source to learn this stuff

man qemu and maybe a Google search on "qemu cli howto"? The first result seems pretty much usable: https://baeldung.com/linux/qemu-from-terminal. I wouldn't mess with Spice though and just run VNC over VPN. Once you've got a basic VM going you can look into all the advances options (Arch's wiki is usually quite helpful: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/QEMU) or simply get whichever setting you want from the man page, it's pretty straight forward most of the time. The only thing that'll likely need some explanation is bridged networking (or least how attach your VM's to a tun/tap interface) but for starting the default user mode networking is 100% sufficient anyways. This obviously assumes that you know how to install and setup distribution of your choice though.

• VirtFusionVirtFusion Member
    edited March 4

@rolexd said:
    i brought a vps with 12 gig ram and 3 ip thinking separate in to 3 vpses i tried using virtfusion and virtualizor both time server has created but network doesnt work i need help to fix that (i have no idea what i am oing rn )

The provider of your host VM will almost certainly be filtering the network. This means you will need to use a routed network as opposed to a bridge or direct connection to circumvent the MAC restrictions.

Thanked by 2Abd rolexd
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Install Proxmox and here is a sample configuration to get the networking running if the provider uses virtfusion as the control panel.

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto enp3s0
    iface enp3s0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.2/24
    gateway xx
    dns-nameservers 1.1.1.1
    dns-search lo
    up route add -net 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.255 gw 192.168.1.1 dev enp3s0
    post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/enp3s0/proxy_arp

auto vmbr0
    iface vmbr0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.2/32
    bridge-ports none
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0
    up ip route add 192.168.1.3/24 dev vmbr0
    up ip route add 192.168.1.4/24 dev vmbr0
    up ip route add 192.168.1.5/24 dev vmbr0
    up ip route add 192.168.1.6/24 dev vmbr0
    post-up echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Thanked by 1rolexd
  • vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

Use bridged connection. If it doesn't work, use routed, with 192.186 IP addresses and DNAT

Thanked by 1rolexd